ACN Latitudes Forums

question about PANDAS

hi again,

ok i took my son that is ticcing like crazy to have his allergies test yesterday along with his brother. my oldest that is ticcing now for 4wks following his brothers strep throat issue is as of july 25 stated another tic (head popping and shaking )woke up that sunday morning doing this. he this morning 8/5/10 woke up with yet another tic. he will be sitting here and just blurt out DA BAB DA BLAH BLAH. just like that. i just went to another room and started crying. I yesterday after having allergies test we found out he is allergic to NOTHING AT ALL. they testes food and environmental. his brother on the other hand is allergic to EVERYTHING UNDER THE SUN. he will start allergie shots on august 17th. my question is if i have one that is staying sick due to allergies and this is causing the 5yr to have itchy scratchy throat will this trigger my oldest son that is ticcing to have more tics. i myself woke up yesterday with my throat hurting a little but i know it is just drainage. can a child with PANDAS react to this or is it only strep infections they can tic worse if someone in the house has it. i got him into a Psychiatrist (Child & Adolescent Psychiatry) tomorrow at 11 to try and get a diagnosis. his pediatrician did a throat culture and it was negative. no one has done blood work. we are also waiting on immunology test to be done. this is just something that has been going on since he was 5 and has battled strep over and over (6 times in 1yr) tonsils and adnoids are out. not he just goes through periods out of the blue will wake up and have a tic. just was curious if this was something that may be causing tics to be bad right now.

thanks

To clarify, the non-PANDAS son has the severe allergies? In a PANDAS child, allergies can worsen symptoms. Exposure to strep (even without infection) can worsen symptoms. I have not heard exposure to someone suffering from allergies worsening symptoms.

I think you do need more tests beside the throat culture. Being that he is suseptible to strep, it could be in so many places. Have you seen the PANDAS flowchart? That might help http://www.latitudes.org/forums/index.php?showtopic=6688&hl=

There are also things that can cause tics to worsen. Being that it is summer, people should remember that even chlorine can make tics worse, certain food dyes, certain supplements, etc.

Have your ruled strep out in everyone else in the house?

Edited by Vickie

To clarify, the non-PANDAS son has the severe allergies? In a PANDAS child, allergies can worsen symptoms. Exposure to strep (even without infection) can worsen symptoms. I have not heard exposure to someone suffering from allergies worsening symptoms.

I think you do need more tests beside the throat culture. Being that he is suseptible to strep, it could be in so many places. Have you seen the PANDAS flowchart? That might help http://www.latitudes.org/forums/index.php?showtopic=6688&hl=

There are also things that can cause tics to worsen. Being that it is summer, people should remember that even chlorine can make tics worse, certain food dyes, certain supplements, etc.

this is correct. non PANDAS brother has severe allergies. our pedi said that if anyone in the house had strep then the child with PANDAS could have a reaction.

well this after noon my husband come in the door saying his throat is hurting along with mine hurting as well. we did have his allergies tested and he didn't show to be allergic to anything at all. i told them that if he eats alot of ketchup his ears have turned red before. he didn't show any reaction. also we had a pool put in last summer and he didn't do this bad then. we have been in the pool since may and just last month tics have gotten bad.

he still hasn't ever been diagnosed with PANDAS so i guess i shouldn't say he has it but he tends to follow that pattern more then TS. he has never been diagnosed with TS either. just a mild tic disorder when he was 6 and we were told more then likely he would outgrow this. well now he is 9 and it has gotten worse.

If I could offer you one piece of advice after going through ###### for over 3 years before finally getting a PANDAS diagnosis for my dd, it would be to take your son to one of the well known PANDAS doctors for a full work up. If he does have PANDAS, they will be able to confirm this and treat him CORRECTLY. Best of luck to you.

Angela

re: ketchup. Other kids on here have a sensitivity to salicylates. Here's a thread about it

http://www.latitudes.org/forums/index.php?showtopic=7604&st=0&p=61851&hl=ketchup&fromsearch=1entry61851

this is correct. non PANDAS brother has severe allergies. our pedi said that if anyone in the house had strep then the child with PANDAS could have a reaction.

well this after noon my husband come in the door saying his throat is hurting along with mine hurting as well. we did have his allergies tested and he didn't show to be allergic to anything at all. i told them that if he eats alot of ketchup his ears have turned red before. he didn't show any reaction. also we had a pool put in last summer and he didn't do this bad then. we have been in the pool since may and just last month tics have gotten bad.

he still hasn't ever been diagnosed with PANDAS so i guess i shouldn't say he has it but he tends to follow that pattern more then TS. he has never been diagnosed with TS either. just a mild tic disorder when he was 6 and we were told more then likely he would outgrow this. well now he is 9 and it has gotten worse.

I agree.Get him to the correct DR now.No Psychiatrist is going to help you except for giving you medication.If I knew when Danny was 5 about Pandas he wouldnt have suffered 10 long years.Dont wait.You have a great resource here.Use it.You and your son are very lucky to be this far.

Melanie