ACN Latitudes Forums

cunningham tests and other meds

I just got back the CamK score for my 2nd PANDAS kid- it is was 146. My other affected child- who at her best is still much worse than #2 her CamK score was only 117. I am wondering if there is any reliable info on other meds that may affect the cunningham tests? I assume prednisone would affect something, somewhere- but what about NSAID's or antibiotics, or supplements? Anyone know about any psych drugs that would affect the tests? I do not know why I am worried about it- it is what it is and in reality it does not matter- but I am relieved to have my second affected child a much clearer case- + strep culture, high titers and now increased CamK. My first child had NONE of the above, but 2 elevated levels on the antibodies. she was being treated in mega amounts of supplements, herbs, homeopathy, anitbiotics and who knows what else for lyme at the time of the draw- not to mention abilify, and clomipramine. Just wondering if there is any direct info somewhere on this. YOU ALL ARE THE BEST!~!

Several months ago, Buster did a bit of data collection and it seems there was a possibility that SSRI's were correlated w/ high D2 antibodies and (if I remember right) higher CamKII scores. Just my recall, not sure if there was enough to make any conclusions or not.

My dd's have similar numbers to your children,

dd#1 CamK was 143

dd#2 CamK was 118

dd#2 was on taurine at the time of her draw and I heard that taurine can affect the test (someone on this forum mentioned it but I don't know if that is confirmed or not). At the time of her draw, she was restricting and hoarding food and various other symptoms and was in the process of ramping up.

Susan

that would be interesting if the taurine thing is correct- my 1st dd was only taurine and had been for many months at the time of her draw (nov09) thanks for responding peglem and susan!

Link to a paper showing taurine decreases CamKII activity:

http://www.ub.es/farmacia/recerca/articles%20recerca%20pdf/Junyent/FelixJunyent.pdf

We will be doing the Cunningham test soon. Would antibiotics affect the results? (We are getting ready to start them. Should we wait until the blood is drawn?) Would a 5 day Prednisone burst that ended on June 25 affect it? (We plan to have the blood drawn this week.)

Pam

We will be doing the Cunningham test soon. Would antibiotics affect the results? (We are getting ready to start them. Should we wait until the blood is drawn?) Would a 5 day Prednisone burst that ended on June 25 affect it? (We plan to have the blood drawn this week.)

Pam

A pred burst would lower the results. Let Dr. Cunningham know that your dd recently completed a burst.

Antibiotics shouldn't affect results.

Thanks for the discussion about Taurine. I had missed the other thread about it and the paper! I am glad to know that this is probably why my dd7 tested low on the CamK when she was reacting more than dd8 at the time. dd7 was on taurine for her seizures (she tested low taurine). She was on 4000 mg a day, pretty high doses. It's impossible to know now if it was helping or not, I guess she could have been 100% worse without it.

Susan

Edited by Suzan

Emuls,

You've stated that your daughter has lyme disease... is this the daughter you are referring to? Is she currently in treatment? If she does have lyme disease, then this would be underlying cause of her symptoms (even if she does test positive for strep).

I think you wrote that she is seeing a LLMD -- what does this doctor say about her condition? (not sure what is leading you to Cunningham test??)

Ok, thanks for the info!

Pam

Pam

A pred burst would lower the results. Let Dr. Cunningham know that your dd recently completed a burst.

Antibiotics shouldn't affect results.