ACN Latitudes Forums

Flu Shot

Guest Diane

I posted a while ago asking people's thought's on this years' flu shot, many of you responded with the same concerns as I - afraid the flu shot contained thimerosal (mercury) but yet also worried about the possible worsening of TS symptoms if our child got the flu.

I finally went to get the flu shot with my kids (both of whom have TS) on Friday evening, but turned around and walked out when I read the consent form, which stated both the VAXIGRIP and FLUVIRAL vaccines contain thimerosal, along with other things (like formaldehyde). But what really did it for me was the next sentence: "anyone with a progressing, evolving or unstable neurological condition should NOT get the flu vaccine".

I would say TS falls in that category, and would appreciate knowing if others agree with me or not. I think I made the right choice but would appreciate other's thoughts.

Diane

I agree with your choice, Diane. I too opted not to get my son a flu shot. In the past I have gotten him the shot because he suffers from asthma. I thought the risk from the shot was worse than his not getting the shot. His astma has gotten better over the years, so that did help me in making my decision.

Thanks, Claire and Susanna.

My friend's daughter has severe tics and is on heavy meds for it, and was recently required to get a Hep B shot through the school (all grade 7's here get the shot, although it is voluntary, no parents seem to question it). I did a lot of research on it, and warned her against it because of the mercury in it, and declined to get it for my son. She later told me that the shot made her daughter's tics much worse.

I figure that even if my child gets the flu and the tics worsen because of it, they should subside as he gets better...whereas the flu shot can do much more lasting damage.

this forum is so great for learning about these things

Thanks so much for your input

Does anyone know if allergy shot contains mercury? My son had it for 2 years. We stopped it a year ago since he started his tics. We noticed his tics got worse right after his allergy shot every time. Due to the same concer, he also doesn't take the flu shot this year after he had it for 4 years.

OH my gosh, Jean!!

I take allergy shots--I have for 20 years, and I have elevated mercury. I will ask my allergist and my DAN doctor about this and let you know, though as with the flu shots, this could vary. If they do, then by by shots. In the short term I notice my allergy symptoms improve, but it didn't even occur to me, I can't believe it. Thanks for thinking of this possibility! I will be so bummed if they do.

Claire

• 1 month later...

Welcome Deagar,

DAN = Defeat Autism Now. Children with tic syndromes don't generally have autism, and the doctor's names can be confusing. This group of doctor's specialize in testing for underlying immune issues which can cause any number of neurological issues.

Environmental Doctors and Naturopaths do too. There is a list at the top of this forum with doctors across the country who do this, though some phone screening is still important.

As to your other post, mercury is a preservative for vaccines. Crazy that they use it, in my opinion. The one flu vaccine may not have been an issue. Did you notice a worsening of tics afterward?

As to waiting and hoping your child's tics will resolve on their own, you have much better odds of looking at immune issues now than leaving it to chance. As you read the threads, you will learn much more!

Good luck,

Claire

Re: allergy shots - I asked this question to my peadiatric allegiest, and he said they do not contain anything other than the allergen, no mercury. no preservative.

I am keen to hear what others have heard in regard to this. I sometimes wonder if we get the "whole" truth....

Caz

Welcome Deagar,

DAN = Defeat Autism Now. Children with tic syndromes don't generally have autism, and the doctor's names can be confusing. This group of doctor's specialize in testing for underlying immune issues which can cause any number of neurological issues.

Environmental Doctors and Naturopaths do too. There is a list at the top of this forum with doctors across the country who do this, though some phone screening is still important.

As to your other post, mercury is a preservative for vaccines. Crazy that they use it, in my opinion. The one flu vaccine may not have been an issue. Did you notice a worsening of tics afterward?

As to waiting and hoping your child's tics will resolve on their own, you have much better odds of looking at immune issues now than leaving it to chance. As you read the threads, you will learn much more!

Good luck,

Claire

Claire:

There was no change in his tics after the flu shot. We are seeing a naturopathy on Wednesday along with an allergist at the end of the month so we are still seeking out answers to why this is happening and how to control it with as little meds as possible.

Thanks for your response. Deanna