ACN Latitudes Forums

creutzfeld-jacob disease

I am no expert but do know something about cjd. Since it is a prion disease (mad cow disease) there is a chance of these particles being rarely present in blood product. It wouldn't deter me personally from IVIG. The chances are probably about the same as picking prions up in the beef that we all eat.

You have to multiply that chance by the # of donors that make up the ivig product. Although, to give blood, the donors are screened for this risk factor, inlcuding being a resident of the UK, channel islands or other mad -cow disease locations, even having spent over 3 months there between 1985 and ?. Its still more than just eating beef.

Gulp. we have ivig on thursday. Today ds asked me if I thought it would hurt less to die in a hospital. He said that if he was going to die he wished he would die in his sleep. Just what I want to discuss two days before leaving for Chicago.

I was under the impression that the product was screened and cleaned of all known diseases. I guess prions are too difficult to remove or kill? I have to keep reinding myself this is a routine procedure, and my ob's office has 4 chairs dedicated to it for women whose body rejects fetus/or sperm, althought hey get lower does. I know at least 3 that have had it done for that purpose, probably more that I don't even know about. All are healthy, with healthy kids.