ACN Latitudes Forums

augmentin XR

Hi, bmom:

At the time that our son started the XR, OCD was the most devastating symptom, although he did have motor and vocal tics (the vocal was the worst!). We saw noticeable OCD symptom improvement right away. The tics receded more gradually and took months to completely disappear. (They - very - occasionally show up now, but mild and isolated, not for sustained periods of time.)

Per Dr. K, Dr. L, and others, there seems to be a general feeling that tics are among the most stubborn PANDAS symptoms and the last to fade away. (PEX may be an exception in terms of tic relief, but we haven't done that.)

Thank you Worried Dad. I was going to send you a personal message about this, but couldn't figure out how so I appreciate your response. We are only one week in and have already seen progress. Before when I have upped the Augmentin, tics would go away within a day. This time it is taking longer, but he has been in a exasperation longer with several tics. It has confirmed my belief that high dose Augmentin is the key to his healing. When he was on it for two months, things were great, but the doctor took him off. Now I just have to find a doc that will keep prescribing it HIGH dose for LONGER term. Are any of the key docs. ok with this? I am apprehensive about Dr. K as he fought me on this and took him off.

Yeah, Dr. K is hard to pin down consistently on this, eh?

On the positive side, he's the doc who first prescribed the "Saving Sammy" dose of XR for our son and he kept renewing the prescription for months when our son showed dramatic improvement. We've been using a local doc to write the scripts for the past 6 months, though, just because it's more convenient. Dr. K has not challenged us to drop the XR - especially in light of our whole family testing high on ASO titer - but I've heard from other parents that they've encountered a different attitude from him on this topic.

I'd say that if you reiterate to Dr. K that you saw great progress for those 2 months while your son was on the augmentin - and that you're seeing that progress again after a week back on the higher-dose abx - he might change his tune, at least for your ds. He always told us "I learn something new from every patient." Maybe it's your son's turn to teach!

Thank you Worried Dad. I was going to send you a personal message about this, but couldn't figure out how so I appreciate your response. We are only one week in and have already seen progress. Before when I have upped the Augmentin, tics would go away within a day. This time it is taking longer, but he has been in a exasperation longer with several tics. It has confirmed my belief that high dose Augmentin is the key to his healing. When he was on it for two months, things were great, but the doctor took him off. Now I just have to find a doc that will keep prescribing it HIGH dose for LONGER term. Are any of the key docs. ok with this? I am apprehensive about Dr. K as he fought me on this and took him off.