ACN Latitudes Forums

Breast feeding and PANDAS

My friend Kayanne is my go to person to keep me sane. Thanks Kayanne! She sent me an article this morning and in it it says that one thing many pandas children have in common is that they were not breast fed. I have two boys with pandas. My first boy is 8 and my second boy is 6. I breast fed my first son exclusively until he was 17 months old and my second I breast fed until he was 13 months old. They never had any formula. Clearly, it did not matter in terms of their health. They both got PANDAS. Perhaps I too did not have any strep antibodies to give them.

So how about you? Was your PANDAS child formula fed or breast fed?

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My friend Kayanne is my go to person to keep me sane. Thanks Kayanne! She sent me an article this morning and in it it says that one thing many pandas children have in common is that they were not breast fed. I have two boys with pandas. My first boy is 8 and my second boy is 6. I breast fed my first son exclusively until he was 17 months old and my second I breast fed until he was 13 months old. They never had any formula. Clearly, it did not matter in terms of their health. They both got PANDAS. Perhaps I too did not have any strep antibodies to give them.

So how about you? Was your PANDAS child formula fed or breast fed?

Breastfed

I breastfed my PANDAS boy until he was 3 1/2... he got his first case of strep less than two weeks later.

The breast milk protected him for sure.

I have read that raw milk can replicate the benefits of breastmilk... pasteurization removes all the health benefits of milk. Raw milk is hard to get but I am looking for a coop or an illegal delivery service.

I have a second child, 2years 3 months, still breastfeeding and no intention to stop any time soon. No sign of PANDAS yet.

Stopped at 10 weeks due to severe reflux. He may have gotten a little after that, but that is when we started to wean. He was on the heavy, thick formula that comes in a can - he was able to keep that down longer and gained some weight. Went to solids early too. Reflux resolved at approx one year.

Didn't breast feed my daughter all that much longer (4 months - returned to work) she does not have pandas.

Exclusively breastfed until approx 1 yr then continued through age 2, she self weaned sometime between 2 and 3. She self weaned over such along period that I truly do not know when the process was complete. Never had formula or processed baby food.

Mary

from Michigan

I breastfed my PANDAS boy until he was 3 1/2... he got his first case of strep less than two weeks later.

The breast milk protected him for sure.

I have read that raw milk can replicate the benefits of breastmilk... pasteurization removes all the health benefits of milk. Raw milk is hard to get but I am looking for a coop or an illegal delivery service.

I have a second child, 2years 3 months, still breastfeeding and no intention to stop any time soon. No sign of PANDAS yet.

Bronxmom --

I take it from your name you actually live in the Bronx? That may make it tough to get raw milk on a regular basis, though you'd think that if you could get a "specialty food" anywhere, New York would be one of the best places to try!

You might try calling around to some of the family-run dairy farms in upstate New York or New Jersey . . . the smaller ones without corporate owners. Haven't done it in a while myself, but we had some success with some small farms in rural Indiana (we're in the Chicago area) that would literally let us come with our mason jars and fill 'em up, right then and there, with one of their cows for about twice the price of store-bought milk.