ACN Latitudes Forums

herx reaction

Of course now I'm a lttle worried, but if I had to go with my gut and bet on something, I don't think my guy has lyme, I mean I know the testing is not exactly accurate, but clinically, we are just tics and ocd, not as much other symptoms. I mean, he can't have everything....

.now what you say abou tthe herxing, I read that it would be in the first week. I get what you say, that the herxing is like after about three weeks, then settles, then starts again? something like that?

just to remind of our story -- last june, ds had a completely non-reactive western blot. he was doing okay but stil not healthy. in the fall, he had a quick flu and then relapsed. took a long time to pull out of it. i asked one of his drs if we should re-visit lyme. i really didnt' believe him to have it. i was doing a lot of research. i remember dh saying 'for someone who doesn't think he has lyme, you're pretty focused on it.' that dr. referred us to another dr, experienced with lyme. then, ds seemed to improve. after a terrible school conference, we went to that new dr. in his opinion, based on history - he'd say lyme. i was surprised b/c ds doesn't exhibit "classic" lyme but rather fairly "classic" pandas. not really any tics.

this dr is an integrative MD and does a different type of testing. according to his testing, ds has multiple infections. he believes some where along the line, his immune system took a hit and then just couldn't fight off everthing else. not that he is immune comprimised - but that so much was going on, it allowed for other infections to take hold. most lyme drs believe that lyme is so invasive, it creates this situation. so, just my opinion -- but your son really could have everything. i don't think the lyme was creating all these symptoms we were seeing. i think it allowed other infections and we saw on the surface, the problems of those infections. that would explain why were we pretty classic pandas and had 100% remission with first abx.

now, some things are common in the general population but don't seem to cause problems. like HHV6, most people will test for it, for a few it is problematic. same with toxoplasma and CMV. so, my son tests for those -- are those what's a problem? no one really knows. we've still treated to rid of the infection.

i believe he is currently experiencing a rather intense herx. he started about 48 hours after introducing this anti-viral. he seems to be cycling though symtpoms. first 5 days-ish was ramp up of "normal" behaviors but to an extreme. a few days of back to normal with one eerie calm day in between. then intense ramp up of OCD conatmination with food we've never seen before. that's mellowed but still present, i think getting better each day. yesterday, additional of annoying-like behaviors we haven't seen in a while.

i think the only real test will be if all this settles down and he is better than before. for that, only time will tell.

faith -- could there have been things in the first few weeks that were ramp-ups but you didn't so much notice them as such until this intenseness? maybe it is herx and its also a cycling but you didn't notice more minor things?

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Of course now I'm a lttle worried, but if I had to go with my gut and bet on something, I don't think my guy has lyme, I mean I know the testing is not exactly accurate, but clinically, we are just tics and ocd, not as much other symptoms. I mean, he can't have everything....

.now what you say abou tthe herxing, I read that it would be in the first week. I get what you say, that the herxing is like after about three weeks, then settles, then starts again? something like that?

just to remind of our story -- last june, ds had a completely non-reactive western blot. he was doing okay but stil not healthy. in the fall, he had a quick flu and then relapsed. took a long time to pull out of it. i asked one of his drs if we should re-visit lyme. i really didnt' believe him to have it. i was doing a lot of research. i remember dh saying 'for someone who doesn't think he has lyme, you're pretty focused on it.' that dr. referred us to another dr, experienced with lyme. then, ds seemed to improve. after a terrible school conference, we went to that new dr. in his opinion, based on history - he'd say lyme. i was surprised b/c ds doesn't exhibit "classic" lyme but rather fairly "classic" pandas. not really any tics.

this dr is an integrative MD and does a different type of testing. according to his testing, ds has multiple infections. he believes some where along the line, his immune system took a hit and then just couldn't fight off everthing else. not that he is immune comprimised - but that so much was going on, it allowed for other infections to take hold. most lyme drs believe that lyme is so invasive, it creates this situation. so, just my opinion -- but your son really could have everything. i don't think the lyme was creating all these symptoms we were seeing. i think it allowed other infections and we saw on the surface, the problems of those infections. that would explain why were we pretty classic pandas and had 100% remission with first abx.

now, some things are common in the general population but don't seem to cause problems. like HHV6, most people will test for it, for a few it is problematic. same with toxoplasma and CMV. so, my son tests for those -- are those what's a problem? no one really knows. we've still treated to rid of the infection.

i believe he is currently experiencing a rather intense herx. he started about 48 hours after introducing this anti-viral. he seems to be cycling though symtpoms. first 5 days-ish was ramp up of "normal" behaviors but to an extreme. a few days of back to normal with one eerie calm day in between. then intense ramp up of OCD conatmination with food we've never seen before. that's mellowed but still present, i think getting better each day. yesterday, additional of annoying-like behaviors we haven't seen in a while.

i think the only real test will be if all this settles down and he is better than before. for that, only time will tell.

faith -- could there have been things in the first few weeks that were ramp-ups but you didn't so much notice them as such until this intenseness? maybe it is herx and its also a cycling but you didn't notice more minor things?

I can't say for sure, nothing that was obvious, for he always has something going on that is just part of who he is, so those negative behaviors I don't really gauge much. but you know, I did jot some notes and looking over it now, the first week I did note an increase in vocals, not as bad as this time, and didn't last for two weeks as now, but I wrote that they were 'very apparent', it ws more up and down. there was also some sensation of a feeling of a tickle on his back shoulder blade, he was really agigated by it, wanted me to punch at it and said he felt like getting his fingers 'under ' the bone...... :mellow: not sure what that was about, but it passed... I just know that after about three weeks and we were in CA the first day, pow......

I can't say for sure, nothing that was obvious, for he always has something going on that is just part of who he is, so those negative behaviors I don't really gauge much. but you know, I did jot some notes and looking over it now, the first week I did note an increase in vocals, not as bad as this time, and didn't last for two weeks as now, but I wrote that they were 'very apparent', it ws more up and down. there was also some sensation of a feeling of a tickle on his back shoulder blade, he was really agigated by it, wanted me to punch at it and said he felt like getting his fingers 'under ' the bone...... :mellow: not sure what that was about, but it passed... I just know that after about three weeks and we were in CA the first day, pow......

Maybe he doesn't like California :)

Are you going to try the Flagyl?

Maybe he doesn't like California :)

Are you going to try the Flagyl?

to update:

I was undecided, but I got the script, and yes, last night I did give the flagyl to him. within less than two hours he was again constantly vocal, and this continued till he fell asleep at about 12:30 a.m......what to make of it, I don't know, but he had at least slowed enough to not be constant before this during the day, and so this threw me for a big loop. Any other herx symptom or side effect I could have handled, but not this shrilly constant vocal. I think I am going to not continue until I have definiteve test results.. (I was going on the idea that clostridim/c.diff could be our problem, but never had testing, I asked, but our DAN thought it wasn't useful).. we woke up to some sounds as usual, but as I write, he is at least backed down somewhat to not constant and some longer interval without.

I must also tell here that I decided four days ago, to try a very low starting dose of clonodine per our neruo, and had give four days of half pill at night. last night, I decided not to give the clonodine as I was introducing the Flagyl, so....was the vocal increase (which was very very obvious) from the Flagyl (herxing), or was it from not getting his dose of clonodine? (I wouldn't think four days would be enough to have a positive effect if the clonodine was to help, the doc said it would take a while, and to remind the vocals were still there, just not as constant)... I couldn't take it and when it became very apparent that he was waxing or herxing big time, I relented and gave him the clonodine about 11:30 p.m. about three hours after the flagyl. I realize this mucks up my experiment somewhat, but I am desperate here, this vocal is nothing I can toy with right now.

any thoughts? ... SF?

Edited by faith

Faith - I'm so sorry for what you're son is going through. My daughter did experience a HUGE increase of symtoms the first time she was put on the Flagyll...it only lasted 2-3 days. I don't remember her having any difficulties the 2nd & 3rd time around.

Melinda

Thanks for your support everyone....

to update:

I want to update a few more observances here......I did not give any more flagyl, and as I mentioned, he seemed to back down the next day, still heard some vocals, but not constant. The next day, however I got confused again, as I was hearing more vocals, more than when I thought he backed down a little....I did say I was giving a starting dose of clonodine, altho I am not sure it would work that fast, but then again, if it was having a good effect, why didn't it sustain? I was getting confused here......

the one variable I didn't take into account was the probiotics.....the morning after he backed down, I again gave him two capsules of probiotics (10 bil) and two in the evening, so 20 bil altogether. long story short, I'm not confinced these probiotics (at least in high dose) didn't have something to do with his large increase. I was giving that in CAlifornia and pretty much started giving him five times what I was doing before, I was really pumping him with it. even as I stopped the antifungal, I was still giving the probiotics. I kind of realized (altho I don't write this down, have to do it off the top of my head)...I had not given him the probiotics on the two first days of the clonodine. So was it the removal of the probiotics that helped him calm a little. because then when I knew I was going to try the flagyl, I again started giving probiotics.... I saw him spike, so I was confused as to wether it the flagyl. since I didn't give any further, why did he spike again? all I can think of is that the high mega doses of probiotics don't agree with him for some reason.

is anyone else here giving high probiotics and feeling like their kids are spiking? sometimes we don't suspect something as innocent as a good product like probiotics, but I know on the ts board, over the years, even good supps have not agreed with all our kids. fish oil doesn't work for us, we get an increase. high dose multi vits never worked for us either. this is hard to decipher here. but for now I'm sticking to the conclusion that probiotics, at least at high doses, seemed to contribute spiking of vocal tics in my guy. the day I stopped it and did not give the evening dose of probiotics and then discontinued each day after that, he has stayed at a much better level of vocals,.. it may be a combination of the clonodine as well, but it does seem the probiotics have contributed to it. I am tempted to challenge it, but just can't. surely my husband will beat me, lol......

hope i wasn't too confusing on the above. I am wondering if 'boosting' my son's immune system just isn't right for him..........

[quote name='faith' date='08 August 2010 - 01:21 PM' timestamp='1281288070' post='78871'.

but for now I'm sticking to the conclusion that probiotics, at least at high doses, seemed to contribute spiking of vocal tics in my guy.

I am wondering if 'boosting' my son's immune system just isn't right for him..........

faith -- i certainly have no answers for you - sorry -- could it be that you are correct that the probiotics are at least part of the problem -- what if that high level of probiotics is killing yeast and the reactions you are seeing are herx to the dying yeast? does the DAN have an opinion?

i don't know -- very hard to tell if the increase in symptoms are a good thing as in short-term herx aiding in healing or bad thing as problematic for the system.

oh yes, good point smartyj, the high dose probiotics could certainly be having the effect of die off and herxing.....

it was just going on so long, two whole weeks, ....DAN doc thought herxing shouldn't last that long. but I guess anything is possible. again, all trial and error. this was just too crazy. any other signs of herxing I could take, but this vocal was nuts, and chnged from his usual to a high pitched tone. not convinced it was herxing, die off , or just his system being revved up, as I said, maby boosting immune is not good in some kids. really don't know.....

Hi Faith! :D

Hey, I do know that many have posted that their PANDAS kids (not saying that is what your son has), but, many PANDAS kids have had bad reactions to probiotics. I even posted about it with my kids a LONG time ago. Don't know if they are reacting to the "bacteria" in it or what?? :blink: I did ask when in OK what to look for if a child has yeast problems. I was told to look for typical yeast problems...that it would show up in thrush, or itchiness "like a woman." They didn't mention an increase of PANDAS symptoms, though. DOESN'T MEAN IT COULDN'T HAPPEN......I am just sayin' what they said.

As far as the Lyme thing......I am and have been very skeptical on all these kids testing positive for Lyme. Couldn't it be the mystery of PANDAS and the antibodies involved that are creating these positives??? Are the Lyme treatments successful because they consist of antibiotics and antibiotics treat PANDAS??? Dunno :unsure:

BUT...what has struck me lately is I keep flashing to Buster's map (was it Buster??)..anyway, where people pin-pointed where they were from......the NE is packed.........same place where Lyme is prevelant......hummmmmmmm?????? But, on the other hand..there was to have been a nasty strain of strep in the NE. Also, a Azith resistant strain. My boys did go from 0 to 10 after confirmed strep (which PenVK AND Azith failed to eradicate....Keflex did the trick.) So, I still lean to strep being the culprit, not Lyme (for my boys!)

Okay, more Lyme stuff going through my mind! (I never had a doubt my boys got their genetic disposition from me.) :blink:

Anyway..

SFMom....I know you are pursing Lyme and not sure you are dealing with it. May I ask a few questions? I am not in any way trying to "dispute" you, I just had some thoughts. Okay, so, we all know that several kids got sick from a playdate. Now, how does Lyme factor into that?? Wouldn't it seem more feasible that it was an infectious agent....meaning something contagious?? I mean, wouldn't it be impossible for all the kids to have Lyme and present with symptoms at the same time?? Even if it were underlying Lyme from birth.....still, for all the kids to have it? I am not even sure if that is what you are implying...but, this is just what I am thinking. And, the child who had his high strep titers resolve after IVIG........since we know that strep titers (ASO and AntiDNAase B) are NOT diagnostic of strep...is this really significant??? Again...not trying to dispute or discourage you...by all means...if your child is not getting well..I agree...check into all avenues. Just seems, to me, to be something infectious/contagious/certain strain since several kids got sick at once.

And, Cr. Cunningham stated that PANDAS is a lesser version of Sydenham's chorea, but, caused by different antibodies and lasting longer...( I know.... the "lesser" part is hard to swallow for those severly affected)....but, we already know that strep has the molecular mimicry quality

to it, resulting in RF and Sydenham's chorea (ocd and movements, attacking the heart in severe cases) ...so, doesn't it make sense that strep would also have the molecular mimicry quality to it for the brain?? Resulting in the lesser, recently recognized PANDAS syndrome?? Which, I believe, and, agreed on by Dr. Cunningham, has existed forever (tics, ocd, anorexia, bi-polar, etc)..but, just now getting the proper recognition, diagnosis, treatment??? I know one of the neurologists I saw said they only found out about strep damaging the heart from autopsies.....I wonder if anyone has autopsied the brain from someone who had TS, tics,ocd to look for strep??

Just some thoughts!

kelly

Edited by P.Mom

Interesting conversation. I have changed my mind on this often.

Before my son became completely non-functional from PANDAS, he simply had PANDAS symptoms when he got strep and then they went away with antibiotics. I do think that strep alone can cause PANDAS, but I also feel that other infections can cause PANDAS, or PITANDS, and possibly prevent a complete healing from the typical PANDAS treatment.

Another mom on this forum just went to our doctor before she heads out to Dr. K next week for IVIG and her daughter came back positive for mycoplasma and staph, but no lyme. So, I think that there is not one scenario for every child.

One reason why I think it is important to find the right infection for your child is that the antibiotics choices may be different, depending on the infection you are dealing with....

My son was on the lower dose Augmentin post IVIG, when he had a severe regression. The high dose Zithromycin did not help him at all! Again, I think the Augmentin is not as effective for those dealing with Mycoplasma (like we were dealing with on top of the lyme) and the zithromycin alone is not strong enough for the lyme. But for us, the combination of azithromycin and omnicef worked wonders!

Just my two cents......

Edited by KeithandElizabeth

Interesting conversation. I have changed my mind on this often.

Before my son became completely non-functional from PANDAS, he simply had PANDAS symptoms when he got strep and then they went away with antibiotics. I do think that strep alone could cause PANDAS, but that other infections can cause PANDAS, or PITANDS, and also prevent a complete healing from the typical PANDAS treatment.

Another mom on this forum just went to our doctor before she heads out to Dr. K next week for IVIG and her daughter came back positive for mycoplasma and staph, but no lyme. So, I think that there is not one scenario for every child.

One reason that I think it is important to find the right infections if your child is not doing well is that the antibiotics choices may be different, depending on the infection you are dealing with....

My son was on the lower dose Augmentin post IVIG, when he had a complete regression. The high dose Zithromycin did not help him at all! Again, I think the Augmentin is not as effective for those dealing with Mycoplasma (like we were dealing with on top of the lyme) and the zithromycin alone is not strong enough for the lyme. But for us, the combination of azithromycin and omnicef worked wonders!

Just my two cents......

Elizabeth & Wendy-

Has Ceftin ever been recommended by any of the docs for Lyme? Just curious.

Melinda

PMom, There is some indication Lyme can be contagious or was it multiple infecting agents causing a super antigen response hence Kawasaki's in the youngest http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Superantigen). Lyme is also considered to be sexually transmitted by some. I hope to get some solid perspective from Dr. Harris on these two issues tomorrow. My girlfriend and I did grow up in the same area MN/WI and went to college 13 miles apart from each other in the middle of farm country. I spent my summer in northern MN on the border Canada growing up and pulled numerous ticks off myself... So its very feasible that they we could both have Lyme. My girlfriend is being tested in September when she see's Dr. Stricker next. I will probably be tested within the next week as well as my husband (remember he has high titers as well as from the NE) The children although all diagnosed with high CaM kinase have a variant of symptoms. My own children are not biologically related and the only thing they have in common is their father's genetics and that I gave birth to them. Thanks to ARTs there was a donor involved in their conception. I am symptomatic for Lyme with most of my symptoms resolving in November 2009 due to antibiotics only to return when I got sick again last spring with a slow creeping of symptoms ever since. There is definitely an infecting agent what specifically it is.... we may never know Strep/Lyme/Mycoplasma, etc. My older son's labs are looking great right now except for some double starred bands via Igenex and is for the most part recovered from PANDAS episode.

In my friend's son, I absolutely think the titers mattered..... They spent 8 months trying to eradicate the strep from him. The strep would not go away and kept resurfacing. The Dr. only pronounced him cured from strep when they pulled his adenoids and his swollen gland resolved. We have labs from just after the RF/playdate event and again a year and half later when he was deep into PANDAs mode. There was definitely something working on his immune system and no Dr. can clearly explain the deterioration inclusive of strep pneumo titers fall to deficient levels when he had active strep and previously responsive. This child was clearly very sick for a long time... now, 6/7 weeks from the start of his Lyme treatment he almost has NO OCD. It is nothing short of a miracle.

I am pursuing the Lyme for myself/husband and to ensure our older son stays well and figure out why my younger twins have high CaM Kinase (they have no ASO, Anti-DNase-B or mycoplasma). As you know Lyme can have a dormant cycle so if it is thought to be Lyme I want to ensure the cysts buster is included in regiment to prevent a future relapse.

I've been posting a lot about Lyme because I had no idea the LYME/co-infections were at all a possibility for our family. PLUS, there are many other stories not discussed on the forum of kids finally doing well once the Lyme is addressed with multiple antibiotics. Some making close to full recoveries in 4/5 months without IVIG. Also there are some parents that have also been confirmed to have Lyme.

Anyway... all my thoughts for the moment.

Edited by SF Mom

SF mom,hi could you share your friends story.Did your friends child have lyme and any co-infections?I just wondered about treatment,what they used.I saw that they were better 6-7 weeks,ocd.Is vomiting from die off?We didn't give her as much stuff today but did give her a dose of Mepron so far.I didn't want her to vomit again,she vomited this morning.Thanks!

Wow, sounds like your daughter is herxing fairly badly. My friends son has bartonella and Ehrlichia and believe he'll turn positive for Lyme further into treatment. He had two double starred indeterminate and one positive doubled star band all IGG for Lyme. I think he is being retested within the week. He has had 3 hdIVIGs (last one at end of May) prior to uncovering the co-infections. He is now on 500 m.g. Biaxin and 300 m.g. rifampin. He had about 5 days of a flair/herx about the start of week 4 of Lyme treatment and has been great ever since. His prior treatments might have had an effect on bacterial load so maybe not as much herxing. He also hasn't started any cyst busting medication yet. From what I understand the Mepron can be rough. My friend is away on vacation until tomorrow and I'm dying to get an update... I hear typically by week 12 is a real turning point for Lyme. Hang in there..... although the vomiting is not pleasant I'm sure they told you it could happen. Have you tried Charcoal pills or bentonite clay while easing up on treatment. I think it could really help.

Hang in there.. I feel for situation.