ACN Latitudes Forums

Vacation, shellfish allergy & steroid burst question

So we just got back from a 5 day trip to Maine, which honestly I was terrified of! Actually, aside from the expected misery during the long stretches in the car, it wasn't bad at all. DS7 did enjoy the change of pace and different scenery. There were issues with wanting to buy things every single place we went and not being able to decide what he wanted. But overall, MUCH better than I had thought it would go. And really, I should say, the ride home today (all 12 hours of it) were much better than I would have ever thought.

Big issue though - DS discovered shellfish and LOVED it! However, it doesn't love him! He had a bad allergic reaction and we ended up in the ER in Boothbay last night. Upon returning home tonight, we ended up in our ER tonight. He has such bad hives that I'm really scared for him. His joints are all swollen. Last night it was his one foot and he couldn't walk well - tonight his hands.

So this leads me to two questions... Do I have to question the fish oil supplements? I was going to call the nutritionist tomorrow to double check. I can't tell anything by the bottle.

And... the ER doc tonight prescribed steroids (and also gave him an epi shot :(). Dr. T had said we should try a steroid burst upon returning home from vacation to see how it effects him. What is the usual dose for a steroid burst and how long? I'm wondering if I should ask Dr. T to work off of this 5 day RX from the hospital rather than running this out and then starting again shortly.

Huh...my DS9 can never decide what to buy in stores either...but fortunately he's usually okay with not getting anything, since he can't make a decision. I didn't realize this might be a more common problem.

So we just got back from a 5 day trip to Maine, which honestly I was terrified of! Actually, aside from the expected misery during the long stretches in the car, it wasn't bad at all. DS7 did enjoy the change of pace and different scenery. There were issues with wanting to buy things every single place we went and not being able to decide what he wanted. But overall, MUCH better than I had thought it would go. And really, I should say, the ride home today (all 12 hours of it) were much better than I would have ever thought.

Big issue though - DS discovered shellfish and LOVED it! However, it doesn't love him! He had a bad allergic reaction and we ended up in the ER in Boothbay last night. Upon returning home tonight, we ended up in our ER tonight. He has such bad hives that I'm really scared for him. His joints are all swollen. Last night it was his one foot and he couldn't walk well - tonight his hands.

So this leads me to two questions... Do I have to question the fish oil supplements? I was going to call the nutritionist tomorrow to double check. I can't tell anything by the bottle.

And... the ER doc tonight prescribed steroids (and also gave him an epi shot :(). Dr. T had said we should try a steroid burst upon returning home from vacation to see how it effects him. What is the usual dose for a steroid burst and how long? I'm wondering if I should ask Dr. T to work off of this 5 day RX from the hospital rather than running this out and then starting again shortly.

Huh...my DS9 can never decide what to buy in stores either...but fortunately he's usually okay with not getting anything, since he can't make a decision. I didn't realize this might be a more common problem.

My 7 yr old dd is just like this too. She can't make a decision on what to buy or what to eat. It has to be the perfect thing and its hard to find something that is perfect enough.

tantrums, I am glad you had a good vacation but so sorry about the seafood reaction! My dd8 reacted to shrimp and crab but did not show up as allergic on the allergy IgE test. I'm going to have her tested for IgG reaction to it. Hers was not as strong as your ds. HUGS!

Susan

You were 40 minutes from my home. :) Glad you enjoyed your stay here in Maine. Sorry to hear about the allergies. If prednisone helps, you may find yourself wanting to hoard it. Getting some from both doctors might not be a bad idea. ;)

Angela

The fish oil we use is from Cod Liver (Nordic Naturals). Would that cause shellfish allergies? I'm confused as to why would that be the case. I mean fish are fish and shell fish are crustaceans, different genetic makeup, genus and species I think. Anyways I would def consult your doc.

DS has a huge buying problem anywhere and everywhere. We try to keep it confined to the dollar store LOL.

During the 1st acute episode of PANDAS, he reacted to fish, when he never before reacted to fish or shellfish of any type! He then reacted to fish oil caps (Nordic Naturals). I looked on bottle and found it to be from cod- same fish in the fish sticks he ate the few days prior that gave him hives!! He never reacted to fish after he recovered. I have started him on fish oil again and no problem.

The fish oil we use is from Cod Liver (Nordic Naturals). Would that cause shellfish allergies? I'm confused as to why would that be the case. I mean fish are fish and shell fish are crustaceans, different genetic makeup, genus and species I think. Anyways I would def consult your doc.

DS has a huge buying problem anywhere and everywhere. We try to keep it confined to the dollar store LOL.

You have to read the labels...some fish oils are processed in the same plants as shellfish...thus leaving the possibility of a trace amount in the fish oil...but allergen info should be on the label.