ACN Latitudes Forums

Penicillin Resistant Strep?

I started Augmentin 875 bid last Tuesday because of high titers and + rapid, but I felt just fine. Saturday I felt horrible, my throat really hurt, specially when I swallowed, and I noticed a white patch on my left tonsil. Today it still hurt a bit so I went to the doctor. She listened to me and thought the white patch was probably nothing, but since I was feeling tired and had a headache and the pain, she swabbed it and it came back positive, even after almost a week on Augmentin! So she switched me to Biaxin, I hope this works! She was very surprised but wasted no time changing the antibiotics. She said even though it is very rare, there are cases of penicillin-resistant strep. She also mentioned it's hard to prove the carrier state and how bad she feels we are having to deal with this, so at least I am comforted to have found a doctor who understands.

Mati's mom-

We live in VA too. I have 3 kids on Zith and one kid on Augmentin.

What dose of Biaxin are you currently taking? I ask b/c my ASO was 396 last month and I am taking 750mg of Zith for a month. I am going to have my ASO rechecked soon and if it is not normal I plan to switch to Biaxin.

Colleen

Mati's mom-

We live in VA too. I have 3 kids on Zith and one kid on Augmentin.

What dose of Biaxin are you currently taking? I ask b/c my ASO was 396 last month and I am taking 750mg of Zith for a month. I am going to have my ASO rechecked soon and if it is not normal I plan to switch to Biaxin.

Colleen

I'm taking 500mg twice daily. I am so confused because ds has been doing really well on Augmentin XR, but somehow it did not work for me. The Dr. said maybe I am just not metabolizing it right? Anyway, we'll see how it works.

How come you have 3 kids on one abx and one on another?

I am wondering does it just depend on the strain or is it also dependent on the individual?