ACN Latitudes Forums

Question for Buster

On Facebook on the Saving Sammy site, in response to me saying that 37% of children with PANDAS did not show a rise in either ASo or AntiDnase titers, according to Swedo, I got the following response from Beth M.

"That is not correct information about Dr. Swedo and 37%. She specifically disputes the figure. Dr. Swedo's statement was that 75% to 78% of children with strep will have their ASO titer rise, and in 90% at least one of the anti-streptococcal titers will rise. I am going to post the Autism One email blast in full so that the information is out there again. Susan Larsen's point is covered."

I would like to be able to point out the study that showed this statistic. Can you help me with that? I've searched the Latitudes site but I'm not able to find it and I'm having trouble with this new format to just look up things by the author of the posts. I can get to some of them but can't seem to find older ones.

Thanks for your help.

Angela

On Facebook on the Saving Sammy site, in response to me saying that 37% of children with PANDAS did not show a rise in either ASo or AntiDnase titers, according to Swedo, I got the following response from Beth M.

"That is not correct information about Dr. Swedo and 37%. She specifically disputes the figure. Dr. Swedo's statement was that 75% to 78% of children with strep will have their ASO titer rise, and in 90% at least one of the anti-streptococcal titers will rise. I am going to post the Autism One email blast in full so that the information is out there again. Susan Larsen's point is covered."

I would like to be able to point out the study that showed this statistic. Can you help me with that? I've searched the Latitudes site but I'm not able to find it and I'm having trouble with this new format to just look up things by the author of the posts. I can get to some of them but can't seem to find older ones.

Thanks for your help.

Angela

Please see:

http://www.latitudes.org/forums/index.php?showtopic=6265

and then Figure 6 in the article referenced within the "diagnostic tests" section:

http://www.journals.uchicago.edu/doi/pdf/10.1086/377700

Dr. Kaplan and Dr. Cleary are two of the world's foremost authorities on GABHS. If you'd like an explanation of the findings, I'm happy to translate. The short summary is that even with perfect timing, they found only:

• 54% of children in their study had a rise in ASO (despite positive throat culture and symptoms)
  • 45% of children had a rise in Anti-DNAseB (despite positive throat culture and symptoms)
  • 63% had a rise in one or the other of these antibodies

Best regards,

Buster

THANK YOU Buster for clarifying this so accurately through documented sources! (black and white)!

Maybe I'm just feeling overly "cranky" today but I am SO sick of people who twist "black and white" and try to make it look like so many shades of grey!!!!

There are so many "unknowns" within PANDAS as it is why waste our time debating over the few things we do know.

(how do you make one if those frustrated/screaming smiley faces, again)????