ACN Latitudes Forums

An update on DS

We just finished up my son's testing with the allergist yesterday and he showed NO ALLERGIC REACTION to penicillan! Woo Hoo! If you remember our story my son was diagnosed with PANDAS in Feb. had a 10 day course of Amoxicillan then when switched to a prophylactic course of it he began breaking out in hives, switched to straight penicillin- more hives, next zithromax- still more hives. That was in March and doctors would not prescribe abx since then until allergy question was answered. Finally we just finished jumping through all the hoops until we got to penicillin testing and he passed all three parts of test with no reaction.

This is such a relief since with each flair up he has been given only psych meds. to address symptoms in lieu of abx. Psych meds varied from no help to weird fluctuations so I have taken him off all for the summer except 1mg Intuniv for tics/attention. Zoloft and Risperidal however are out of his system completely now. I'm so happy to have abx back in our arsenal before he starts middle school in the fall.

Thanks to those of you who have offered support and answered questions during the time we were dealing with this and trying to make the best of it.

We just finished up my son's testing with the allergist yesterday and he showed NO ALLERGIC REACTION to penicillan! Woo Hoo! If you remember our story my son was diagnosed with PANDAS in Feb. had a 10 day course of Amoxicillan then when switched to a prophylactic course of it he began breaking out in hives, switched to straight penicillin- more hives, next zithromax- still more hives. That was in March and doctors would not prescribe abx since then until allergy question was answered. Finally we just finished jumping through all the hoops until we got to penicillin testing and he passed all three parts of test with no reaction.

This is such a relief since with each flair up he has been given only psych meds. to address symptoms in lieu of abx. Psych meds varied from no help to weird fluctuations so I have taken him off all for the summer except 1mg Intuniv for tics/attention. Zoloft and Risperidal however are out of his system completely now. I'm so happy to have abx back in our arsenal before he starts middle school in the fall.

Thanks to those of you who have offered support and answered questions during the time we were dealing with this and trying to make the best of it.

Congrats on the finding!! Did you test for other things as well. Any ideas on what may have been causing hives?

Best wishes as you continue on this journey!

was this skin testing?

It was a 2 hour appt. First they do the reg skin testing-no reaction so they then did intradermal (needle under the skin w/ actual solution of possible irritant) and since he passed that they finally just gave him a dose of penicillin.

Kim- they did do whole gamut of allergy testing over the past month- only items of note were mold and ragweed. No reactions to anything else. His doctor told me previously that MP can cause a skin reaction/rash when combined with amoxicillin in some kids so she felt it may be the cause. He was then tested for MP and did show evidence of previous exposure. Initially that is all she was going to do but then wanted to be real sure so asked for allergy testing. (all the while I just begged for abx.) I know that zithro is different class of abx than penicllin BUT he had all three different abx in about a 5 day period. I don't think his system knew what to do by the time zithro was tried therefore he had yet another reaction when it was given.