ACN Latitudes Forums

Finding a Pediatrician who understands PANDAS

Can anyone tell me the name of a pediatrician in or near the Baltimore area who understands/treats PANDAS and would be willing to work long distance with Dr. K? Our current pediatrician laughed at the PANDAS diagnosis and said he doesn't believe it exists. Please help! Our ds is 4-1/2 weeks post IVIG and his "rage" symptoms are worse than ever. My strep titers are elevated, and my dh just had strep. We have both been on antibiotics and Dr. K increased our ds dosage of Augmentin to 400mg twice daily for two weeks. He is 6 years old. Any help would be appreciated.

Can anyone tell me the name of a pediatrician in or near the Baltimore area who understands/treats PANDAS and would be willing to work long distance with Dr. K? Our current pediatrician laughed at the PANDAS diagnosis and said he doesn't believe it exists. Please help! Our ds is 4-1/2 weeks post IVIG and his "rage" symptoms are worse than ever. My strep titers are elevated, and my dh just had strep. We have both been on antibiotics and Dr. K increased our ds dosage of Augmentin to 400mg twice daily for two weeks. He is 6 years old. Any help would be appreciated.

Hi ZaxMom,

Sorry! Reading this made me so irritated! DH and I lived in Baltimore all our lives. We moved near Philadelphia 11 years ago and the situation isn't much better here, I'm afraid. When you live near powerhouse children's hospitals like CHOP or Hopkins/Kennedy Krieger; they give no help and all the local docs obediently follow suit :angry:

Try PMing Dee45, she lives in Fork, MD which is Northern Bel Air Road territory. She might have some suggestions. If you still don't have any luck, PM me too. I remember my mom mentioning someone she knew who works in research in the Baltimore area who knew all about PANDAS and I could ask Mom to ask her for a suggestion.

jill

Could you look into an integrative doctor? We see one who, although he doesn't know alot about PANDAS, he believes in it and is working with us while we see Dr. B. I think integrative dr's may be more open to the idea and since he is a medical doctor, our insurance pays for him. He has also helped us with supplements and all of the testing we did prior to seeing Dr. B.

While she is not a pediatrician, Dr Elia at CHOP is wonderful.

The experience of most that post here is that Dr. Elia will discuss the course of PANDAS, but that she has not been very responsive regarding treatment. Did you recently have a different experience? That would be WONDERFUL if she has changed her position! Dr. Elia was the first to suggest pandas for my dd10 and for that lead, I will always be grateful. But when I asked Dr. Elia to collaborate with Dr. K in March (and they do know each other per Dr. K) she did not even respond back to me. :(

You could also pursue a Lyme literate Dr. for antibiotic and IVIG support if needed. Symptoms of Lyme also include OCD/Anxiety/Panic Attacks/Rage Behavior.... so these types of Dr's are very able to help. Just e-mail ILADS and they will send you some great referrals back.

Here's the Maryland list from Beth M.'s FB site (or course, Dr. Latimer isn't a ped! Have you seen her b-4?) I googled the other guy (Bucci) and he is a pediatrician. I don't know if anyone on this forum has seen him?

MARYLAND

Dr. M. Elizabeth Lattimer, MD

6420 Rockledge Drive

Suite 4920

Bethesda, MD 20817

(301) 530-9200

Dr. Jeffries Bucci, MD

Baltimore, MD

410-296-2300

Edited by EAMom

Here's the Maryland list from Beth M.'s FB site (or course, Dr. Latimer isn't a ped! Have you seen her b-4?) I googled the other guy (Bucci) and he is a pediatrician. I don't know if anyone on this forum has seen him?

MARYLAND

Dr. M. Elizabeth Lattimer, MD

6420 Rockledge Drive

Suite 4920

Bethesda, MD 20817

(301) 530-9200

Dr. Jeffries Bucci, MD

Baltimore, MD

410-296-2300

Thank you for the quick reply. I called Dr. Bucci's office today and was told that he was not comfortable treating PANDAS patients because that is not his area of expertise. He will continue to see current patients if they happent to "contract" PANDAS; but will not accept any new PANDAS patients.

Dr. Latimer is a little too far from where I live to use as a regular pediatrician. But I will keep looking. Again, thanks so much! I am new to the forum, and it is really great to be in contact with other parents who understand this illness and the obstacles that are in our paths.