ACN Latitudes Forums

zithromax & food dye

I'm putting DS on a GFCG diet and removing all food dyes. I HATE pumping him full of the red dye in his azithromycin twice a week. How can I get it without it? I understand I can have it compounded, but I'd have to have it shipped to me that way. It expires so quickly I'd have to be having it shipped every week.

Ideas?

Have you tried looking on the internet for a compounding pharmacist near you? There's an organization for compounding pharmacists (sorry, can't think of the name of it) but that's how I found a pharmacist near me. It's usually the small, family run ones that can do it. Our insurance covers the prescription too!

I'm putting DS on a GFCG diet and removing all food dyes. I HATE pumping him full of the red dye in his azithromycin twice a week. How can I get it without it? I understand I can have it compounded, but I'd have to have it shipped to me that way. It expires so quickly I'd have to be having it shipped every week.

Ideas?

Are you using liquid or tablets?

If it's the liquid, you could ask them to ship it to you unmixed and you could add the water yourself. Would that get rid of the red dye?

Have you tried looking on the internet for a compounding pharmacist near you? There's an organization for compounding pharmacists (sorry, can't think of the name of it) but that's how I found a pharmacist near me. It's usually the small, family run ones that can do it. Our insurance covers the prescription too!

Ideas?

When my daughter used to get the 250mg tablets of zith, they were just white- manufactured by, I think, Pliva. Her 500mg tablets have a blue coating-probably because they are so much bigger, need the smoothness to help with swallowing

I am just starting to look into this, as we recently started to suspect that my ds is sensitive to red dye. I talked to Walgreen's and they said Sandoz makes a white tablet in 500 mg. They can't get it for me, so I now have to find a pharmacy that works with Sandoz. If you need a liquid, I'd just ask your pharmacist.