ACN Latitudes Forums

At home strep tests..

I know this has been posted before but I can't find it, so forgive me. :/

But, my throat is hurting. Which is odd, because the two times that my throat have hurt in the past twelve months have been the ONLY two negative strep cultures I've ever had. That being said, my Mom doesn't like going to the doctor when my throat does hurt since I'm asymptomatic when I do have strep. My glands aren't swollen, I haven't been exposed (as far as I know), & I have no rash, but this random pain did make me want to ask about at home strep tests. Which are the most accurate, how are they used, & where can they be purchased? Also, how expensive are they? We always go to the doctor when someone around me gets strep & as I mentioned, EVERYTIME (besides the aforementioned two) I've been positive with high GABHs levels, but I've never gotten my exact numbers. I was hoping maybe these tests could save us some money in doctor's visits.

Edited by EmersonAilidh

Here's one place they are available:

http://www.cliawaived.com/web/Strep_A_Test.htm

Have you used them before? Are they accurate/easy to use?

I never got a positive- only ran about 3 tests and my daughter got into it and dumped the test liquids, so I don't know how accurate, but I think its the same test the docs office uses. I don't know how good I swabbed though- would think a really good, gag the heck out of you swab would be important.

Here's one place they are available:

http://www.cliawaived.com/web/Strep_A_Test.htm

Have you used them before? Are they accurate/easy to use?

I never got a positive- only ran about 3 tests and my daughter got into it and dumped the test liquids, so I don't know how accurate, but I think its the same test the docs office uses. I don't know how good I swabbed though- would think a really good, gag the heck out of you swab would be important.

Haha! I think I'm used to the "gag the heck out of you" swabs. Thank you for the link, I'll look into them! :)

Wait. It says "Professional use only". Do I just.. ignore that?

Edited by EmersonAilidh

Only bumping this because I really need information on these tests.. Within one day of my throat hurting last night now my Mom thinks she's sick. It's Sunday so we can't get into the doctor. Obviously I can't get the tests delivered in one day, but it's times like these where we need them. :/

Only bumping this because I really need information on these tests.. Within one day of my throat hurting last night now my Mom thinks she's sick. It's Sunday so we can't get into the doctor. Obviously I can't get the tests delivered in one day, but it's times like these where we need them. :/

Both walgreen's and CVS pharmacies have "minute clinics" in some of their stores- you could maybe go there, or urgent care?

They work....we get Ultra Strep by Osom. Got a positive result on my hubby when younger son suddenly started to flair big time...hubby only had a headache...decided to swab because of sons increase....positive. They are the same rapids they use at the docs office. My husband went straight to the hospital (this was at night) for antibiotics. They did not even swab him because he told them he got a positive on a home test...they just gave him antibiotics. Within one day of hubby on antibiotics, and increased Aug. for son, the increase in PANDAS symptoms stopped as quickly as it started.

I will never go without them in the house. It is so easy to just swab here at home when someone has a sore throat, and, I do have confidence in the result. 3 years and they have never been wrong.....I have swabbed dozens and dozens of times.....only got one positive...only one strep...the rest were viral.

They work....we get Ultra Strep by Osom. Got a positive result on my hubby when younger son suddenly started to flair big time...hubby only had a headache...decided to swab because of sons increase....positive. They are the same rapids they use at the docs office. My husband went straight to the hospital (this was at night) for antibiotics. They did not even swab him because he told them he got a positive on a home test...they just gave him antibiotics. Within one day of hubby on antibiotics, and increased Aug. for son, the increase in PANDAS symptoms stopped as quickly as it started.

I will never go without them in the house. It is so easy to just swab here at home when someone has a sore throat, and, I do have confidence in the result. 3 years and they have never been wrong.....I have swabbed dozens and dozens of times.....only got one positive...only one strep...the rest were viral.

I am going to Google that right now!!!! Do you get them at a pharmacy or on-line? I definitly want those in our house!!! please give more info..off to Google.....