ACN Latitudes Forums

Update on Nicholas

abbe

Hello,

So I just got Nicholas' IGG test in. He is in fact allergic to Wheat and Eggs (on top of dairy) Dairy is the only thing we have eliminated. I feel a little overwhelmed about going wheat free. I want to do it for him though.

abbe

abbe,

You can do it!

What are his favorites? Lemme see if I can help you phase it in.... You would be surprised at how many alternative products there are out there.

Also, did your doctor RULE OUT gluten intolerance? If not, I highly suggest doing gluten free too, at least initially. It isn't that much harder but if the crux of the problem is gluten then the wheat avoidance might not show a recovery like it should.

Caryn

Caryn,

Sorry for the delayed response. I am actually in the middle of completing my certification to become a health and wellness, small business coach. So I have been so busy and also developing my web site and writing a book. But I really appreciate your help with the wheat thing...

I cook all of the time for the boys so dinner isn't a problem. But lunch and breakfast with no eggs, dairy, or wheat seems very difficult for me. When school starts I can't even imagine...

So I will check your web site and get to work !!! What do you pack for lunch ?

abbe

Abbe,

There is a new coconut milk in the refrigerator section at WF. It is really good. Goes great on cereal. You can do almond milk too. We like Bob's Red Mill Brown Rice Cereal. It is like farina. I make it with milk now but used to use coconut milk or almond milk when my son had leaky gut problems. You can make it with water and then add a touch of milk after to cool it and make it creamy. Add your favorite sweetener. We like maple syrup or honey.

Get ghee at WF (is expensive but tastes a lot like butter and makes a nice spread over GF toast). A new company just came out with a really good GF bread. It is called Rudi's. They are out of Colorado. Their breads contain egg whites. Is your son allergic to the whole egg? Mine was allergic to the yolks but now eats eggs no problem (three years later). His egg reaction was quite low initially. I can't remember if you are watching yeast or not (it has yeast) and sorghum which can be problematic for some on GF diet (especially initially when they are in recovery). But you should try it if you can find it. I think it is a good transition bread. It is the first GF bread to inspire my hubby to take it to work like a real sandwich. When he got home that night he said, "Wow, where did you get that bread from?"

Another good bread is EnerG Light Tapioca Loaf. Here's what you do with it: wet a paper towel, wring it, and wrap the slices in it (don't stack the slices, make sure that each slice is covered by the towel on all sides.) Heat in microwave for about 20 seconds. Now you have a nice soft bread for sandwiches. (Eat immediately-- not as good if it is packed in a lunchbox). Kids love it as a sunbutter and jelly sandwich. That same bread makes a great toast. It is gluten free, wheat free, dairy free, nut free, and egg free. They say don't freeze it, but it is a big loaf and doesn't last long after you open it. Keep in fridge afterward. As long as you micro and toast it the stuff will be fine for about three days.

I just got a recipe for a dairy free chocolate pudding and hope to post it up soon. The secret ingredient is avocado!

Lunches---

There is a product called Food for Life Brown Rice Tortillas that we use. Ingredients: Whole Grain Brown Rice Flour, Filtered Water, Tapioca Flour, Safflower Oil, Rice Bran, Vegetable Gum (xanthan, cellulouse), Sea Salt. Okay, again, this is one that you have to wrap in wet paper towel and nuke in micro to make it soft and pliable (like 25 secs, maybe more.) If you nuke it longer it will get hard and crunchy. But it makes a nice wrap for rolling up in the lunch.

There are a lot of brands that make gluten free marinara (spaghetti sauce not so much), and we buy GF rice noodles all the time. Check to make sure the brand you pick is also egg free. But there are loads of noodle brands to choose from. Don't choke your GF noodles. Be sure to boil them in a nice big pot of water. Boil the water first and then throw them in at a high rolling boil. Give them exactly 15 minutes and drain in a colander, running cool water over them. This is important. GF noodles are a MUSHY mess if overcooked. They do not hold up like the wheat ones do. They also get sticky. This is why I like to run the cool water and toss a little before I add them to the dish.

Glutenfreeda is a nice company that sells gluten free oatmeal in individual flavor packets. Just add water. My kids love them.

We buy Hormel lunch meat in prepackaged boxes from our local grocery store. They are GF and advertised as natural (have brown cardboard boxes with red). Can't buy deli meat, you know that? Anyway-- they are really good. We do roll ups with them. Kids love them. Trader Joe's has an all beef hotdog and they will eat those too. I just cut them into round slices and mix with ketchup, heat and throw in a thermos. Sounds gross, I know, but they love them.

Trader Joe's also sells a lot of potato chips and off brand Cheetos type stuff all labeled GF and many are dairy free too. Check it out for barbeques, etc.....

Your best bet is to ask for concierge at WF or Trader Joe's next time you are there. They have sheets with listings of safe GF foods. TJ's also labels everything GF. It is easy peezy there. My three year old learned how to shop GF in just a couple of trips.

Ohh, and almost forgot-- Udi's makes a really nice oatmeal granola made with GF oats (tested and certified) and honey. Anyway, you can serve that for breaky with coconut yogurt and fresh blueberries and strawberries. My kids love it. They think it is a dessert.

Caryn

Sounds like you are busy. Good luck with the book!

Caryn,

How very nice of you to take the time to give me all of that helpful information. I am just avoiding bread altogether for now but will try all of the brands you suggested. I bought a bread maker but don't know how feasible baking bread is. Thank god whole foods and trader joes are both 5 minutes from my house. It does make everything a it easier. We are having company tonight for dinner and a I making a breaded zucchini, dip in water , coat in corn flake bread crumbs (we can do corn) and fry or bake plus dinner items.

I am trying to be a bit more balanced with Nick because he is mostly tic free most of the time so I do "push" the envelope a bit if he wants to eat or do something. There are SO many triggers for him I want to be careful he still enjoys his life. My number one goal with food is to never prepare anything here that isn't good for his diet. That way if we are at a social gathering or he has a party at school he can cheat if he wants to. I will play this by ear because with Nicholas I think I am healing him, his gut his everything and he can be exposed to things and food now and NOT react. I think there would be a build up though if he did it to much or to often. At this point as his mom I feel this approach is best all around.

I so appreciate your support, friendship and comments.

abbe

• 2 weeks later...

Hello,

Ok we are 100% dairy free, 100% egg free and 80-90% wheat free. Nicholas is doing very, very well. He is 100% tic free and not whiny !! He is swimming at camp every day and tolerating the chlorine well. I am happy about that because we are going on a cruise in August. Will be tough but hopefully we can make good food choices on the boat . I know at home he doesn't notice so much because I buy so many things that taste like cheese and use rice and almond milk that he is happy. I have started using the rice noodles for our spagetti dinners and everyone eats them. I personally love not eating as much wheat because it makes me bloated anyway !

abbe