ACN Latitudes Forums

New here and some questions

I'm fairly new to the diagnosis of PANDAS and I'm feeling awash with information. I apoligize in advance if I'm asking questions that have been covered already, but my brain is spinning from all the reading I'm doing.

My ds is 9 and has recently had his second 'occurence' of PANDAS. He's had symptoms for years and years - I got the brush off from pediatricians as a 'worried mother'. It was until I moved and found a physician that treats Austistic children with the DAN approach that I was finally taken seriously. She initially diagnosed him with ADHD, but as some of his symptoms reminded her of PANDAS patients, she tested for it. Bingo. So, unlike a lot of you, there was no definitive moment when things started to go 'wrong'. From birth I've known he's different (digestive issues, sensory issues, unbelievable tantrums from toddler into childhood years, noise sensitivity), so his PANDAS symptoms get mixed up in the rest of it. This last recurrence took me awhile to recognize, because it happened gradually. His 'tics' are different, not so much physical....he gets a bit manic, can't stop his brain from working overtime, talks non-stop, can't sleep because he can't stop thinking. So catching it quickly is hard. Initially we just thought he was approaching a growth spurt (often he's anxious and 'busy brained then too), but it got progressively worse. Does this sound familiar to anyone?

The last time we treated the PANDAS, he was given Azithromycin (I can't remember the dose) for 9 days and then once a week for a month. This time it's 200 mg for 7 days and then 3 times a week for 3 months.

For those of you that do a phrophylactic dose, is it everyday or 3 times a week? How long do you continue? Is there a worry about the strep becoming resistant to the antibiotic?

With repeated infection, does it get worse? Do you do prophylactic antibiotic for symptom relief or because it's dangerous to risk repeat infections?

What do you do for prevention - do you do any vitamin supplementation or naturopathics to help boost the immune system?

Thanks for the help - I'm trying to read through posts and suggested web sites, but some direct answers would help a lot.

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

My daughter (15yo, 110lbs) takes 500mg zith every other day, following a loading dose of 5 days, 500mg/day. She's been taking zith for @ 3 years, varying doses, and it has continued to be the abx that works best for her.

But, I wanted to ask if you'd ever considered that his other issues may be PANDAS related? Sensory issues, sound sensitivity, raging tantrums, digestive problems...all common in PANDAS.

If you haven't already, please visit the FAQ thread here:

http://www.latitudes.org/forums/index.php?showtopic=6266

You'll get a lot of info more quickly than scanning the forum.

BTW- Welcome! You'll get a lot of help and support here!

Welcome to the forum - You are in a good place. I wanted to let you know that many of us did not have a defining "Aha It's PANDAS" moment, and many of us, myself included, have children who have battled this condition for many years, with many doctors, and many dead-ends... so we can appreciate your tenacity and your spinning brain!

My son is not on prophylaxis right now, so I cannot answer your question. I can tell you that it has NOT gotten worse for me with repeated infection... but the impact has been more severe because my son is now 13 and expected to be functioning fairly independently. The PANDAS symptoms are worse with some infections than others, and my son has learned to compensate for many of the symptoms through the years. This is a blessing and a curse as it takes me longer to notice that something is "different".

I wish you luck as you search through posts. This forum is a buried treasure of information, and I have learned so much from the wonderful people here!

Edited by kimballot

I'm fairly new to the diagnosis of PANDAS and I'm feeling awash with information. I apoligize in advance if I'm asking questions that have been covered already, but my brain is spinning from all the reading I'm doing.

My ds is 9 and has recently had his second 'occurence' of PANDAS. He's had symptoms for years and years - I got the brush off from pediatricians as a 'worried mother'. It was until I moved and found a physician that treats Austistic children with the DAN approach that I was finally taken seriously. She initially diagnosed him with ADHD, but as some of his symptoms reminded her of PANDAS patients, she tested for it. Bingo. So, unlike a lot of you, there was no definitive moment when things started to go 'wrong'. From birth I've known he's different (digestive issues, sensory issues, unbelievable tantrums from toddler into childhood years, noise sensitivity), so his PANDAS symptoms get mixed up in the rest of it. This last recurrence took me awhile to recognize, because it happened gradually. His 'tics' are different, not so much physical....he gets a bit manic, can't stop his brain from working overtime, talks non-stop, can't sleep because he can't stop thinking. So catching it quickly is hard. Initially we just thought he was approaching a growth spurt (often he's anxious and 'busy brained then too), but it got progressively worse. Does this sound familiar to anyone?

The last time we treated the PANDAS, he was given Azithromycin (I can't remember the dose) for 9 days and then once a week for a month. This time it's 200 mg for 7 days and then 3 times a week for 3 months.

For those of you that do a phrophylactic dose, is it everyday or 3 times a week? How long do you continue? Is there a worry about the strep becoming resistant to the antibiotic?

With repeated infection, does it get worse? Do you do prophylactic antibiotic for symptom relief or because it's dangerous to risk repeat infections?

What do you do for prevention - do you do any vitamin supplementation or naturopathics to help boost the immune system?

Thanks for the help - I'm trying to read through posts and suggested web sites, but some direct answers would help a lot.

Welcome and you have come to the right place for answers and support. I know some of the parents whose children have been treated or are currently in treatment can give you some advice. I am still waiting for my doctor to tell me what the next step is since the diagnosis. Good luck and I hope you find the answers you are looking for!

Hi

My DS8.5 sounds very similar to your son in infancy and toddlerhood- very. Its uncanny. Later on from 22 mos things changed.After a whole year of waxing and waning limping, leg spasms and ortho neuro symptoms finally this year in March we had a full blown classic Pandas episode.

We are now 8 weeks post IVIG and doing better than we were for sure.

You will find a lot of support here like I did from wonderful, nurturing and amazingly educated moms and dads who are all at war with Pandas and looking to give their children a normal life.

Please PM me if I can be of any further help.

Regards- Jodie

I can't answer your question about prophylactic dose but I wanted to reach out and say you are in the right place...your son sounds a lot like mine- we have only gotten the PANDAS diagnosis in the past few months. He has been mistakenly diagnosed ADHD in our past- your description of your son sounds JUST LIKE MINE!!! I think we have been dealing with this for years. I also don't have a definitive "trigger date" but I can look back and say around 18 months something shifted. You are in the right place- the parents here are an amazing wealth of information and support!

BRandy

Thanks all - is it possibly for the strep to be contracted during the pregnancy? I'm just wondering because he has been 'different' right from birth (I could never put him down, which I now understand was the sensory issues - he spent the first three months pretty much lying on me or being rocked by dh).

Welcome to the forum...I'm sorry that you had to join at all, but you have found a great support network and a wealth of information. Every PANDAS parent I have spoken to has been very kind and generous with their time and advice...don't hesitate to contact anyone by pm. If you haven't already, check out www.pandasnetwork.org and register with the the site.

In our experience, it was 10 days of clindamycin (300mg 3/X day) that finally cleared my daughter's strep. She was 6 yrs and about 43lbs at the time. When her neurologist started to treat her for PANDAS, she was put on 100mg of azithromycin daily as a prophylaxis. It is right in line with taking 500mg every 5 days...or something similar. She took azith for just over 3 months, when I asked to have her put on pen vk instead.

There are areas in the US where there are resistant strains of strep to azithromycin--Western Pennsylvania and Ohio. In vitro (a dish), strep is not showing any reisistance to the penicillins (pen vk, amoxicillin, and augumentin). However, in vivo (the body) researchers have shown that if strep gets into the cells, pen and amox are can't fight it. Here is article that is cited a lot on this forum:

http://www.entrepreneur.com/tradejournals/.../169459644.html

I think the antibiotics that most parents use (and have seen success with) are azithromycin and augmentin.

I think that many parents have reported that if untreated, subsequent episodes do get more severe. But, I think the flip side of this is (at least for us so far) is that with treatment, each episode gets less severe. Probably because the children are already on antibiotics, so a strep infection doesn't get too bad. Also, there is recognizion of PANDAS symptoms...so treatment starts earlier.

My daughter's second bout with PANDAS was a result of her siblings all having strep (she was on pen vk and kept testing negative). Starting a month-long course of prednisone within a week of seeing the behaviors resurface, stopped it in it's tracks. Her teacher didn't report any problems in school...the behaviors seemed limited to home.

There are a lot of supplements that people give their kids. I give fish oil (for anti-inflammation), a multi-vitamin/mineral, extra vitamin c and probiotics. I believe that as far as strep is concerned, antibiotic prophylaxis is very important---so my daughter will be taking them until adulthood.

My DS9 has also had PANDAS for many years -- just about 5. He presents mostly with tics. His episodes do not seem to have gotten worse with time but vary in intensity.

He just started antibiotics a month or so ago. He is 76 pounds and was put on 500 mg azith per day at first and he just switched to 500 mg augmentin 2x day a few days ago. They have both been helpful. I think the Augmentin may be really working, but it is a bit too soon to tell. He just told me last night about several of his PANDAS related anxieties that seem to have disappeared (his words) and was "reminiscing" about some of his tics as though they were gone for good. He has NEVER done this before, ever. (This conversation started because he *wanted* to watch the tub water go down the drain and he has always leaped out of the tub well ahead of that occurrence so that he could be far away from it). I am very cautiously hopeful that this may be a real turning point for him.

The rest of us (DH, DS6 and myself) are all asymptomatic strep carriers. We are still trying to get someone to help us clear our carrier state. This is also someting to look into for yourself, perhaps, as several other families have posted the same.

Welcome. As to your question about a worsening of each epiosde with reinfection, I think a lot have seen that. I did. With my son, however, the reinfection was rather piggy back with the previous exacerbation so I don't believe he was fully recovered when it happened again. Then there was his third strep triggered exacerbation when there was a longer window between reinfection. With that one, it wasn't necessarily worse than the previous, just a longer recovery and residual OCD to overcome.

As to your question about strep and pregnancy. This I just my opinion....I think if a pregnant mother has strep while pregnant it might jump start that autoimmune reaction in the baby. I read an article once where this can be the case with schizophrenia and another microbe.

Finally, a good blog you might want to subcribe to is http://www.chicagonow.com/blogs/fighting-a...ect-pandas.html

That link goes a specfic post but you can find your way to other entires. She is a Mom fighting autism and PANDAS.

Edited by Vickie

Another thing to chime in about babies being different from birth.....the Hep B vaccine. Our babies get this as newborns (which I have been told by several docs is absurd).........couldn't this also be a potential reason for some kids seemingly to have been "born that way", when, in essence, it was the Hep vaccine, given at birth and when their immune systems are extremely immature, that caused the aggravated immune response in infancy that subsequently messed up their immune systems.....and they weren't really born that way, it just seemed so because they get that danged vaccine at birth??!!

Another thing to chime in about babies being different from birth.....the Hep B vaccine. Our babies get this as newborns (which I have been told by several docs is absurd).........couldn't this also be a potential reason for some kids seemingly to have been "born that way", when, in essence, it was the Hep vaccine, given at birth and when their immune systems are extremely immature, that caused the aggravated immune response in infancy that subsequently messed up their immune systems.....and they weren't really born that way, it just seemed so because they get that danged vaccine at birth??!!

I've thought this is the case with my child for a very long time. But, I think that there may be something- some underlying problem that made my baby susceptible to that reaction when other babies did not develop problems from it like mine did.

You could have passed along Lyme and its co-infections during pregnancy. Have you check for Lyme and its co-infections via Igenex? Lyme symptoms can mirror PANDAs and deteriorate the immune systems ability to fight addition infections like strep.

Where did you grow up? Where do you live now and what are your symptoms to believe you might have passed along during pregnancy?

Here is a general list of Lyme symptoms and depending on strain and length of illness/additional co-infections symptoms vary inclusive of OCD, TICS, RAGES, PANIC ATTACKS.

Head, Face, Neck

Unexplained hair loss

Headache, mild or severe, Seizures

Pressure in head, white matter lesions in brain (MRI)

Twitching of facial or other muscles

Facial paralysis (Bell's Palsy, Horner's syndrome)

Tingling of nose, (tip of) tongue, cheek or facial flushing

Stiff or painful neck

Jaw pain or stiffness

Dental problems (unexplained)

Sore throat, clearing throat a lot, phlegm ( flem ), hoarseness, runny nose

Eyes/Vision

Double or blurry vision

Increased floating spots

Pain in eyes, or swelling around eyes

Oversensitivity to light

Flashing lights/Peripheral waves/phantom images in corner of eyes

Ears/Hearing

Decreased hearing in one or both ears, plugged ears

Buzzing in ears

Pain in ears, oversensitivity to sounds

Ringing in one or both ears

Digestive and Excretory Systems

Diarrhea

Constipation

Irritable bladder (trouble starting, stopping) or Interstitial cystitis

Upset stomach (nausea or pain) or GERD (gastroesophageal reflux disease)

Musculoskeletal System

Bone pain, joint pain or swelling, carpal tunnel syndrome

Stiffness of joints, back, neck, tennis elbow

Muscle pain or cramps, (Fibromyalgia)

Respiratory and Circulatory Systems

Shortness of breath, can't get full/satisfying breath, cough

Chest pain or rib soreness

Night sweats or unexplained chills

Heart palpitations or extra beats

Endocarditis, Heart blockage

Neurologic System

Tremors or unexplained shaking

Burning or stabbing sensations in the body

Fatigue, Chronic Fatigue Syndrome, Weakness, peripheral neuropathy or partial paralysis

Pressure in the head

Numbness in body, tingling, pinpricks

Poor balance, dizziness, difficulty walking

Increased motion sickness

Lightheadedness, wooziness

Psychological well-being

Mood swings, irritability, bi-polar disorder

Unusual depression

Disorientation (getting or feeling lost)

Feeling as if you are losing your mind

Over-emotional reactions, crying easily

Too much sleep, or insomnia

Difficulty falling or staying asleep

Narcolepsy, sleep apnea

Panic attacks, anxiety

Mental Capability

Memory loss (short or long term)

Confusion, difficulty in thinking

Difficulty with concentration or reading

Going to the wrong place

Speech difficulty (slurred or slow)

Stammering speech

Forgetting how to perform simple tasks

Reproduction and Sexuality

Loss of sex drive

Sexual dysfunction

Unexplained menstral pain, irregularity

Unexplained breast pain, discharge

Testicular or pelvic pain

General Well-being

Phantom smells

Unexplained weight gain, loss

Extreme fatigue

Swollen glands/lymph nodes

Unexplained fevers (high or low grade)

Continual infections (sinus, kidney, eye, etc.)

Symptoms seem to change, come and go

Pain migrates (moves) to different body parts

Early on, experienced a "flu-like" illness, after which you have not since felt well.

Low body temperature

Allergies/Chemical sensitivities

Increased effect from alcohol and possible worse hangover

-Wendy

Edited by SF Mom

I haven't read all the posts....

Scooby...sorry you are here, but ALL the people on this board are wonderfull....

Don't be scared as there is SO MUCH info and it will take a long time to make it connect...keep asking questions!!!!!

WENDY...that list..

.i think ds has had 4 out of 5 on every sub list even if it was 1 day or 1 week...but that could be to some other passing illnesses too? or normal experiences ?

DS band 41 came up pos with 1 + on both sets of paper work....and band 39 was ind one set but neg on another....

OUr doc said not to worry about it.....THOUGHTS!?!?!?

You could have passed along Lyme and its co-infections during pregnancy. Have you check for Lyme and its co-infections via Igenex? Lyme symptoms can mirror PANDAs and deteriorate the immune systems ability to fight addition infections like strep.

Where did you grow up? Where do you live now and what are your symptoms to believe you might have passed along during pregnancy?

Here is a general list of Lyme symptoms and depending on strain and length of illness/additional co-infections symptoms vary inclusive of OCD, TICS, RAGES, PANIC ATTACKS.

Head, Face, Neck

Unexplained hair loss

Headache, mild or severe, Seizures

Pressure in head, white matter lesions in brain (MRI)

Twitching of facial or other muscles

Facial paralysis (Bell's Palsy, Horner's syndrome)

Tingling of nose, (tip of) tongue, cheek or facial flushing

Stiff or painful neck

Jaw pain or stiffness

Dental problems (unexplained)

Sore throat, clearing throat a lot, phlegm ( flem ), hoarseness, runny nose

Eyes/Vision

Double or blurry vision

Increased floating spots

Pain in eyes, or swelling around eyes

Oversensitivity to light

Flashing lights/Peripheral waves/phantom images in corner of eyes

Ears/Hearing

Decreased hearing in one or both ears, plugged ears

Buzzing in ears

Pain in ears, oversensitivity to sounds

Ringing in one or both ears

Digestive and Excretory Systems

Diarrhea

Constipation

Irritable bladder (trouble starting, stopping) or Interstitial cystitis

Upset stomach (nausea or pain) or GERD (gastroesophageal reflux disease)

Musculoskeletal System

Bone pain, joint pain or swelling, carpal tunnel syndrome

Stiffness of joints, back, neck, tennis elbow

Muscle pain or cramps, (Fibromyalgia)

Respiratory and Circulatory Systems

Shortness of breath, can't get full/satisfying breath, cough

Chest pain or rib soreness

Night sweats or unexplained chills

Heart palpitations or extra beats

Endocarditis, Heart blockage

Neurologic System

Tremors or unexplained shaking

Burning or stabbing sensations in the body

Fatigue, Chronic Fatigue Syndrome, Weakness, peripheral neuropathy or partial paralysis

Pressure in the head

Numbness in body, tingling, pinpricks

Poor balance, dizziness, difficulty walking

Increased motion sickness

Lightheadedness, wooziness

Psychological well-being

Mood swings, irritability, bi-polar disorder

Unusual depression

Disorientation (getting or feeling lost)

Feeling as if you are losing your mind

Over-emotional reactions, crying easily

Too much sleep, or insomnia

Difficulty falling or staying asleep

Narcolepsy, sleep apnea

Panic attacks, anxiety

Mental Capability

Memory loss (short or long term)

Confusion, difficulty in thinking

Difficulty with concentration or reading

Going to the wrong place

Speech difficulty (slurred or slow)

Stammering speech

Forgetting how to perform simple tasks

Reproduction and Sexuality

Loss of sex drive

Sexual dysfunction

Unexplained menstral pain, irregularity

Unexplained breast pain, discharge

Testicular or pelvic pain

General Well-being

Phantom smells

Unexplained weight gain, loss

Extreme fatigue

Swollen glands/lymph nodes

Unexplained fevers (high or low grade)

Continual infections (sinus, kidney, eye, etc.)

Symptoms seem to change, come and go

Pain migrates (moves) to different body parts

Early on, experienced a "flu-like" illness, after which you have not since felt well.

Low body temperature

Allergies/Chemical sensitivities

Increased effect from alcohol and possible worse hangover

-Wendy

Almost half of the "normal" population tests positive for the 41 Band in the Lyme test....extremely common....I do not believe this means that almost half of the population has Lyme...although many will try to tell you so!