Nectarines

Oranges

Peaches

Peppers (Bell & chilies)

Plums and Prunes

Tangerines

Tea

Tomatoes

Your child may be sensitive to only 1 or 2 or these or none. It is a testing game. My son handles most fruit well but can't tolerate grapes or strawberries. He eats loads of blueberries with no reaction. Bananas, Melons and Pears are good fruit choices with little or no salicylate content.

Heather

Heather

Guest Scottish Nessie

Hi Lulugirl,

There is a very good salicylate list at:

www.purr.demon.co.uk/Food/Salicylate.html

complete with quantities in milligrams per 100 grams. The Feingold list seems to have bypassed dates, which are extremely high in salicylates. I was happily giving my son dates as a "good" sweet treat, as he loves them until I came across the list above!!

I have just started my 8 year old son on an elimination diet so I would be very interested to know how you get on too!

Good Luck

Scottish Nessie

Nessie,

Too bizarre. For the first time in a year, I went looking for other tics forums tonight--just curious as to what was out there.

I saw a tourette's - scotland forum and there starting a thread re Feingold was Nessie with an 8 year old son.

I assume you are one and the same?

Welcome!

Claire

ps Australia, Canada, Singapore, U.S. and now Scotland--gotta love our shrinking world. :wub:

Guest Scottish Nessie

Hi Claire,

Thanks for your welcome ----yes Scottish Nessie and Nessie are one and the same!

I am new to Feingold and Failsafe diets so any suggestions welcome. I do plough through the threads so I am slowly but surely learning.

Can you help with the other thread I posted about the salicylate content of palm oil. Why I need to know is because there is a cashew nut spred over here in UK by Meridian and it is just cashew nuts ( low salicylate ) and palm oil. My son loves cashews.

Thanks

Scottish Nessie

Hi Nessie,

Though I signed up for Feingold, I am no expert since salicylates don't bother my son (he is tic-free based exclusively on computer game/TV/screen elimination and subsequent treatment for elevated mercury enables him to view them via an LCD monitor without true restriction).

Ausclare/Marina/Caz are really aware of exactly what the salicylates are and should respond. However, I got this list from Kirkmann labs and it looks okay to me. (unless they chime in otherwise)...

Claire

http://www.kirkmanlabs.com/products/enzyme...enol_bp835.html

A chart outlining phenolic and salicylate content of foods follows:

VERY HIGH

Apricots

Berries and Cherries

Orange and Tangerine

Pineapple

Red grapes

Tomatoes

Peppers

Mint

Anise (licorice)

Olives

Dill

HIGH TO MODERATE

Apples

Grapefruit

Peach and mangos

Watermelon

Broccoli and spinach

Carrots

Lettuce and chinese vegetables (except iceberg/low)

Most nuts and seeds

Onion

LOW TO NEGLIGIBLE

Bananas

Pears

Cabbage

Celery

Potatoes

Fats and Oils

Sugars

Soy Milk

Thank you all for your help!

What kinds of reactions would these cause? If I eliminate, what would I look for? Due to his allergies he mostly only eats apples, carrots and pineapple so elimination will be easy. However, he's a picky eater and these are about the mainstay of hus fruit and veggie intake.....

Lulu

Hi Lulu,

I am not the salicylate/Feingold/Failsafe expert, that is more Jeff/Ausclare/Marina/Caz, but I will try to answer your question.

I do know they can cause tics and/or adhd in some people. So I believe that after eliminating them you look for improvement (in concentration, 'wiredness' or reduction in tics), then you watch for some worsening of symptoms when individual ones are reintroduced.

The main fruit is pears! Fortunately my son liked them.

By the way your story on the 'medicines' thread was very touching, thanks for sharing it. How frustrating that all you needed to do was to have a tutor. That is definitely NOT the first reaction of most doctors.

I read in a magazine once (never verified it elsewhere), that in certain states, if the teacher feels the child has adhd they can FORCE the parent to give it to the child. Can this really be true? How horrifying.

Claire