ACN Latitudes Forums

Inositol

Hi Andrea

I cant say we have noticed inositol helping for tics or my son's ADD, but it has helped him in the past with OCD as it facilitates serotonin function

however

we have learned there is a disadvantage in using too much of it long term as it can actually UP anxiety after a while.

it seems optimum at around 500mg a day and only upped when anxiety/OCD waxing

My son was up to 12-16 grams at one point when he had very severe OCD waxing, but now takes it only in his multi (100mg inositol/day), and finds samE more helpful for OCD

Inositol is one of the B vitamins

here is what iHerb's health encyclopedia has about it

http://healthlibrary.epnet.com/GetContent....;chunkiid=21766

Hi Andrea

I cant say we have noticed inositol helping for tics or my son's ADD, but it has helped him in the past with OCD as it facilitates serotonin function

however

we have learned there is a disadvantage in using too much of it long term as it can actually UP anxiety after a while.

it seems optimum at around 500mg a day and only upped when anxiety/OCD waxing

My son was up to 12-16 grams at one point when he had very severe OCD waxing, but now takes it only in his multi (100mg inositol/day), and finds samE more helpful for OCD

Inositol is one of the B vitamins

here is what iHerb's health encyclopedia has about it

http://healthlibrary.epnet.com/GetContent....;chunkiid=21766

Hi Chemar,

I read in some older posts of yours that it has worked for your child. We are eager to start it tomorrow. How fast can we expect to see results if it works? Also, what exactly is this? I've been told its a form of sugar? Its its primary goal to work on serotonin? Andrea

Hi Andrea

it really isnt possible to predict results as individuals react differently, but my son showed a very quick +ve response, altho as I mentioned above, he has very little now compared with before, as he finds it can have the opposite effect if he takes more now

that link I have you above will give you more info on Inositol, which is a B vitamin, altho it does have a sweet taste. my understanding is that it facilitates optimum functioning of the serotonin system, likely at the cell membrane receptor level

just remember the wise method with all supps is....start low and go slow!

always better to start at lowest possible dose and gradually work up so you can remove if you feel it is having a negative effect

Hi Andrea

it really isnt possible to predict results as individuals react differently, but my son showed a very quick +ve response, altho as I mentioned above, he has very little now compared with before, as he finds it can have the opposite effect if he takes more now

that link I have you above will give you more info on Inositol, which is a B vitamin, altho it does have a sweet taste. my understanding is that it facilitates optimum functioning of the serotonin system, likely at the cell membrane receptor level

always better to start at lowest possible dose and gradually work up so you can remove if you feel it is having a negative effect

Chemar,

Thank for all this info. We are starting at 2000mg and working toward 4000mg/day per doctor (alternative med). My son has severe anxiety and OCD and I sure hope it helps fast! Andrea

Hi Andrea

Hi Chemar,

Do you know if it is ok to dissolve inositol in water? How did you give it to your son when he was younger? Andrea

• 2 months later...

Hi Andrea,

You said that taking inositol at a high dosage over long term can up anxiety. I want to know more about this as I have just begun treating my very severe ocd with inositol in powder form. From what I understand, people with Tourette's & OCD seem to be depleted in seretonin. I read somewhere sometime ago, that taking certain anti-depressants over a long period of time can actually worsen tics with tourettes syndrome, as doing so long term can deplete seretonin levels more so. When you refer to inositol possibly upping anxiety if taken long term, is this the phenomena you are refering to? (Seretonin levels being depleted further, *which would increase anxiety) If that is what you are refering to, can you please refer me to the links that gave you this information? I will be doing my own search on the internet, but I would like to read the information you have also. It seems that for people like me with severe OCD, the LAST thing I need is to ultimately lower my seretonin levels even further. I have been very hopeful at the idea of taking inositol powder, as my OCD is very bad, but I do not want to make a bad situation eventually worse. Perhaps you are not talking about the long-term seretonin depletion phenomena I mentioned. If that is the case, can you please clarify what you meant when you said that taking inositol in high dosage long term can up anxiety? Thanks for explaining; as I am searching for honest answers.

Edited by tl7

My son will start using Inositol for his adhd symptoms and tics. Has anyone tried this on their child? How does it work? Andrea

Hello Andrea,

When my son, 8yo, who only recently has been receiving supps for motor tics (ts), manifested an ocd behavior or two (nothing severe, but a little worrisome to me), I started an evening program of inositol (1/4 tsp = 600mg) disolved in a cup of a lemon balm tea and P-5-P (B6 coenzyme, I cut a 50mg pill in half). Since then, there has been no recurrence of the ocd behaviors that I had noticed. This is not to say there are not some still there, and that I simply haven't noticed them (I found the first ones due purely to my son's bringing them to my attention). But I keep a pretty keen eye on him...

Chris

Hi Andrea,

You said that taking inositol at a high dosage over long term can up anxiety. I want to know more about this as I have just begun treating my very severe ocd with inositol in powder form. From what I understand, people with Tourette's & OCD seem to be depleted in seretonin. I read somewhere sometime ago, that taking certain anti-depressants over a long period of time can actually worsen tics with tourettes syndrome, as doing so long term can deplete seretonin levels more so. When you refer to inositol possibly upping anxiety if taken long term, is this the phenomena you are refering to? (Seretonin levels being depleted further, *which would increase anxiety) If that is what you are refering to, can you please refer me to the links that gave you this information? I will be doing my own search on the internet, but I would like to read the information you have also. It seems that for people like me with severe OCD, the LAST thing I need is to ultimately lower my seretonin levels even further. I have been very hopeful at the idea of taking inositol powder, as my OCD is very bad, but I do not want to make a bad situation eventually worse. Perhaps you are not talking about the long-term seretonin depletion phenomena I mentioned. If that is the case, can you please clarify what you meant when you said that taking inositol in high dosage long term can up anxiety? Thanks for explaining; as I am searching for honest answers.

I believe Chemar was the one who said that long term doses can increase anxiety. Not sure about this myself. Andrea

yes, we were told by our physician that long term use *at high dose* can cause an upswing in anxiety. My son had noticed this when he was taking it in high dose.

apparently on should not use the high dose (10+ GRAMS daily) for more than 6 weeks at a time when in crisis with OCD

taking inositol at lower dose (recommended is 500 mg to 1 gm a day) seems to be fine

it also seems important to be taking some form of B6 as well with inositol

My son has been taking inositol for about a year. He started off taking about 1000 mg a day and then increasing to 2000-3000 mg a day. But we weren't really seeing many results. She told us we wouldn't see much until we upped it to at least 4 grams or 4000 mg a day and some take 8-10. We have increased his and he is now taking 5g a day. We also started B6 as it was recommended here. Back on D3 and also Natural Calm. Can't really say how it helps, but can tell right away when he doesn't take it.

Anxiety can still be high for my son, especially of taking the supplements. Every day is a struggle with him even though it is all liquid or mixed with the liquid. He gets himself worked up and will get itchy when he has to take them. We find extremely high anxiety with needles and taking pills. OCD or having to have things same with no changes has improved greatly in the last year. He still tics and sometimes worse than others. Can't really say it is the supplements as I also feel he is a year older and dealing with things better. Just know the medicine route sure didn't help him.

Interesting info about long term use. I hadn't been told that and wasn't exactly sure how it worked. Thanks