ACN Latitudes Forums

i pod usage

Hello,

I was wondering if anyone has noticed ticcing after i pod use. The other night Nick was listening to his i pod down the shore and his neck tic started. He told me it started from the i pod. I tried not to focus on it and it resolved by the end of the night. We were on the boardwalk and he got distracted I guess. I took it away for a day and then let him use it on the car ride home and didn't notice it come back ( I was peeking in the rearview mirror) Just wondered if anyone has noticed this and maybe why ??

thanks

abbe

my son does not seem to have any problem with his ipod

it may be that, if your son has sensory issues, he reacts to deep bass and high pitch treble so perhaps something he was listening too may have had those intensely and perhaps the volume too high?

We've never seen a reaction to his Ipod, not even watching a TV show or playing an app game seems to bother ds. But, if your ds was wearing headphones, maybe he was reacting to the sensory feeling of having those on? My ds has sensory issues and sometimes those trigger tics or trigger habits that resemble tics. Maybe try a different type of headphone or have him listen to the music off of the computer for a bit and see if the tics change or dissipate.

• 1 month later...

I find that listening to an ipod or any music makes me tic a lot more than usual. I love music. Music excites me. When I'm excited, I tic more. When a song starts playing that I love, or there is a part of a song that is "just awesome", I'll explode blinking, twitching and flexing muscles. All the while, I have a grin plastered on my face because the obvious feedback is...... After sitting here for a good few minutes, I can't think of words to describe it.

Anyway, I'm not sure why you should take the ipod away, even if it is making him tic more, as long as he doesn't mind it.

Sin.Jett.

I don't have any experience with the IPod, but my sons tics are affected by his nintendo DS -- we noticed his first tics last year while playing on it, not really sure what the connection is there.

I notice that my son also has increased tics when using his DSi or is on the computer too long or Wii. Luckily he doesn't use it all the time....anyone have any thoughts about the connection?

We also notice increased tics when our DS9 used his Nintendo DS, Playstation etc. not so much with the computer. I personally believe it's a sensory issue. Fast changing graphics, lights etc. but the body is not engaging to the extent of the brain. We have found that certain games are worse than others. Any Japanimation games e.g. Pokemon, etc are particularly bad, even when watching TV. A close friend of mine had also noticed similar reactions in her son, tics, moodiness, edginess after playing. We still allow his DS but only in 1/2-1 hr intervals (appartently you cant do much in this amt of time :angry: ) and follow it with some form of outside play. Usually this minimized his mood and tics but if he is already in a time of waxing tics we try to avoid all together. He is somewhat on board :wacko: I guess any time is better than none at all!

Megan

My ds is sensitive to sounds which can often be triggers for him - particularly voices in the higher pitched range.

Something that made me go "hmmm": I read an article a short while back that mentioned that listening to music increases dopamine. My ds has never been overly interested in music (which seemed odd to me because I love music & tend to have it on more often than not), but recently as his tics have increased in severity, he has begun humming & whistling fairly frequently. I have wondered if they are actually tics or if his body is trying to compensate for whatever is making his dopamine delivery so erratic.

My ds also tends to have increased tics from video games, but that mainly seems to be a result of the stimulated tensions & excitement from playing. I do not see the same effect when he plays puzzle games that have no stressors (like time limits or what have you).

Also since his tics have increased in severity recently, things that use sustained concentration & focus for any significant length of time make things worse as well.

I dont know whether music does or does not increase dopamine significantly, but my son is a musician and he never tics when playing or singing (alone or with his band) and actually finds listening to music has a very calming effect on his neurology

Megan

do a search on this forum for screens under the user name Claire and you will get a lot of info on photosensitive induced tics caused by flicker of screens that are not LCD

Cheri,

Thank you again...I see I have alot more reading to do. I knew it was sensory in some way but this clarifies so much. I didn't even think to look into why, I just assumed it was a by product of sorts of the disorder itself. It seems every corner you turn their bodies are desperately trying to tell us what's not working for them. I just wish it were easier to read the red flags :wacko:

Megan

Just my own thought here. I read somewhere in the myriad of information over the last year that that certain EMF exposure -- whether it was fluorescent lights or t.v. screens, etc., caused an increase in the rate of yeast growth versus normal bacteria. I think that aberrant pheno sulfo transferase (feingold diet -- salicylate issues) may have difficulty dealing with increased toxins from increased yeast growth. I have been reading some of Bonnie Grimaldi's info from like 1996 and am trying to follow the effect this might have with different neurotransmitters, but right now I am still trying to weed through it all.

in these days, my son started to use headphone..... I think I will stop it. I noticed his tic was also triggered by many electronic devices, such as PS (especially PSP!!!), computer ( I think Chemar right, some non LCD screen makes the tic worse), and games in the time zone...