ACN Latitudes Forums

Back for help!

As always I'm back for your help! :) My son has been on PCN, fish oil, and probiotic daily for almost 4 years and we have been going through the ups and downs. Nothing we haven't been able to handle. He has been in one of his periods that usually lasts about 3 weeks for 3 months now and it seems to be getting worse. Facial tics, grunts, emotional outbursts, and fears. You all know what I'm talking about! This time around he has become obsessed with food. He can eat lunch, walk away from the table with his plate in his hand, and ask me when lunch is. I have to remind him that he just ate and even show him the proof for him to remember. He isn't even chewing. Just swallows things down. He gained 14 pounds in 3 weeks. His doctor did some blood work and everything came out normal except the anti-DNAse B titer was 340. This is down from 1300 3 years ago, so not sure if it's elevated or never went down. His ASO titer was normal. Our doctor hasn't a clue on what to do other than send us back for therapy for the OCD issues. So.. my questions are:

1: Can anyone help me understand what an elevated anti-DNAse means when the ASO is normal?

2. Anyone else have food issues(over-eating) with their children and what do you do about it?

3. Dr. Tonya Murphy in Florida is closest for us. Anyone see her and did she help?

Thank you!!

Tina

Edited by trubiano

1: Can anyone help me understand what an elevated anti-DNAse means when the ASO is normal?

I'm not going to be much help but will try to offer one thing that I have learned on this board myself....

ASO measures a more recent strep infection/exposure - within approx. 4 weeks

anti-DNAse B measures strep exposure more inline with ~8 weeks.

Someone else might be able to offer more info or correct my timelines but I do know that basically they are both measuring for strep but but ASO reflects more recent infection.

I also have trouble with my son overeating. I believe it is a compulsion. I know most people post that their kids UNDER eat, but that is not the case here!! I feel like a constant food policeman, but everytime I let up the pounds slip and once they are there they never go away!

Someone else just posted that weight gain is a side effect of omnicef, and I do have to say that we have seen an increased rate of weight gain since starting omnicef about 3 weeks ago.

Anyone have any ideas for suppliments or strategies to help decrease appetite???

As always I'm back for your help! :) My son has been on PCN, fish oil, and probiotic daily for almost 4 years and we have been going through the ups and downs. Nothing we haven't been able to handle. He has been in one of his periods that usually lasts about 3 weeks for 3 months now and it seems to be getting worse. Facial tics, grunts, emotional outbursts, and fears. You all know what I'm talking about! This time around he has become obsessed with food. He can eat lunch, walk away from the table with his plate in his hand, and ask me when lunch is. I have to remind him that he just ate and even show him the proof for him to remember. He isn't even chewing. Just swallows things down. He gained 14 pounds in 3 weeks. His doctor did some blood work and everything came out normal except the anti-DNAse B titer was 340. This is down from 1300 3 years ago, so not sure if it's elevated or never went down. His ASO titer was normal. Our doctor hasn't a clue on what to do other than send us back for therapy for the OCD issues. So.. my questions are:

2. Anyone else have food issues(over-eating) with their children and what do you do about it?

3. Dr. Tonya Murphy in Florida is closest for us. Anyone see her and did she help?

Thank you!!

Tina

My son is also one that over eats as well. He says he always feels hungry. He has gained 25 pounds this year. I do feel it is more than just the usual growing spurt as many friends have commented on how much he eats and he will eat until over full. I wonder if there is something off in their system.

I feel so much better that my son isn't the only one. I feel like the food police also! He is always hungry. I make him deals, if he drinks a 20oz bottle of water and is still hungry he can have a snack. Not a problem for him at all. I made a time chart for him today, so he would know what time it was ok to eat. We put a sticker up when he ate that way he could go back and see he had eaten and when then next time he could again. If he was inbetween the time for a snack or meal he could have water or celery. The only thing it did was help me see how every minute of the day he thought of eating. I can't tell you how many times he went to the chart and clock to see if it was time yet. It was torture for him. Has anyone found anything natural we can give to help with OCD? Maybe then the over-eating would stop.

My son has been a bottomless pit since he was born & wanted to nurse constantly (he's 18 now)! He is never satisfied with his meal until his stomach is physically telling him it is full (ie. distension). I figure it must be part of his hormonal signals being all screwed up so that his leptin/ghrelin hormones aren't signalling hunger & satiety like they're supposed to. But what to do about that? I wish I knew!