ACN Latitudes Forums

anesthesia side effect, night terrors?

I spoke to soon. Last night was right back to it.... but it went much better when I didn't touch him at all and just let him go through it.

Called the pediatrician to ask... the nurse said to give it a few weeks... that while it's not common, it's not uncommon either. She tried to assure me I have not done anything permanent here.

Edited by ajcire

He is on antibiotics... was on pre-op, IV during and is still on just for the rest of this week. No pandas symptoms have ramped up.. just these night terrors.

Do you think just being on the antibiotics for the rest of the week is okay? My dd just her tonsils out last Thursday and they just gave her antibiotics for 7 days. I am scared that when she get off her tics will pick up. I thought you were supposed to be on them for at least a couple of months after surgery. Her ENT said that if I think she is having PANDAS issues I need to call her neuro. She won't prescribe anymore for her.

Thanks for posting this about the nightmares. I have been fretting all this week because I thought it was maybe strep wreaking havoc again.

Melanie

Melanie, is your daughter having night terrors too?

My ENT will only give me them for the week... He was willing to prescribe them for a few days pre-op and one week post op. Anything more and I too would have to request it from the neurologist. I decided that we are going to hold our breath and hope. I had taken my son off prophylactic several months ago as well so he was on nothing until a few days pre-op. So far my son has been relatively mild with pandas so I guess maybe that's why I am taking a leap of faith here.... if he was more severe maybe I would be pushing for more antibiotics.

He is on antibiotics... was on pre-op, IV during and is still on just for the rest of this week. No pandas symptoms have ramped up.. just these night terrors.

Do you think just being on the antibiotics for the rest of the week is okay? My dd just her tonsils out last Thursday and they just gave her antibiotics for 7 days. I am scared that when she get off her tics will pick up. I thought you were supposed to be on them for at least a couple of months after surgery. Her ENT said that if I think she is having PANDAS issues I need to call her neuro. She won't prescribe anymore for her.

Thanks for posting this about the nightmares. I have been fretting all this week because I thought it was maybe strep wreaking havoc again.

Melanie

She is not having night terrors but just nightmares right now. She is inconsolable though. So not like a normal nightmare. She is literally shaking it is so bad. She did have night terrors years ago before we ever tried any treatments but those went away with antivirals.

I do have a call in to her neuro and I just pray that they will extend her abx.

I hope things get better with your son soon.

Melanie

When my sons had their ear tubes put in, they both came out of the anesthesia very disoriented and crying and almost terror stricken. I don't know why they reacted that way but I saw some other kids doing that, too. I do think it is a common reaction to the anesthesia. But I do have to say that you have me worried b/c my DS2, who's pandas is not very well controlled at the moment, is scheduled for abdominal surgery next week. I was also told not to give ibuprofen (in fact all of our pandas crutches will be gone for a few day!), so I am not looking forward to it. I am very concerned that he is going to go into a very bad exacerbation for one reason or another...

And as far as the night terrors are concerned, my DS5 used to have them when he was taking singulair. As soon as I stopped it he never had night terrors again (unless of course he gets strep, that's usually one of the first signs). Maybe the anesthesia has not completely cleared his body yet...

Stephanie

I know many of you on here's kids have had tonsils and adenoids out... My dd had hers out without any issues a few months back... woke up a bit at nights in discomfort but did really amazing. My ds had his out on Friday and since then he is having scary night terrors. At night he looks like he did when he first came out of the anesthesia (this freaked me out when I saw him after the surgery because my dd didn't go through that) I spoke to the ENT today and he said he had only one other parent report a problem like this and then indicated it went on for weeks... I can't do this for weeks. I haven't slept in 3 days. I'm getting worried... I googled and it seems to be it is not as uncommon as my dr. made it sound...

Anyone go throught this? How long did it last? Any long term effects?