ACN Latitudes Forums

guanfacine and staterra

Hello,

I have always taken a natural approach to my sons tics, ADHD type symptoms and some obsessive thoughts. But, he is 12 now, puberty is setting in and I see the stress and uncomfortableness he has in social situations....he is extremely social...just not relaxed. I would like to change that for him, especially the impulse control, and at times obsessive thoughts, I don't want them to cause him problems in other areas. So i was reading Dr Amens book and he use a combination of anti obsessive, stimulant,and blood pressure medicine when people exp. all three.....Guanfacine is the the blood pressure one, for tics, the stimulant for ADHD,and effexor.

It seems like a lot for someone who has only used natural...but natural is just not working...we are trying to lower his histamine which is the cause of alot of this but, nothing else by time has seemed to help anything. Any thoughts?

Has anyone tried guanfacine by itself or with any of the others or with anything natural.

Hello,

I have always taken a natural approach to my sons tics, ADHD type symptoms and some obsessive thoughts. But, he is 12 now, puberty is setting in and I see the stress and uncomfortableness he has in social situations....he is extremely social...just not relaxed. I would like to change that for him, especially the impulse control, and at times obsessive thoughts, I don't want them to cause him problems in other areas. So i was reading Dr Amens book and he use a combination of anti obsessive, stimulant,and blood pressure medicine when people exp. all three.....Guanfacine is the the blood pressure one, for tics, the stimulant for ADHD,and effexor.

It seems like a lot for someone who has only used natural...but natural is just not working...we are trying to lower his histamine which is the cause of alot of this but, nothing else by time has seemed to help anything. Any thoughts?

Has anyone tried guanfacine by itself or with any of the others or with anything natural.

Hi my 16 yr old son takes intnuv(tenex) 2 mg in the am I think it helps not totally but helps.

Hello,

Hi my 16 yr old son takes intnuv(tenex) 2 mg in the am I think it helps not totally but helps.

Thank you

what natural treatments have you used Lisa?

I am admittedly biased against many of these psychiatric drugs because of the truly horrible side effects that the ones we tried caused for my son (and also for my husband)

what natural treatments have you used Lisa?

I am admittedly biased against many of these psychiatric drugs because of the truly horrible side effects that the ones we tried caused for my son (and also for my husband)

He is on methionine to lower high histamine, inositol and cal mag and GLA, and zinc...we have tried several aminos...the results did not seem good...on his nuero test all of his transmitters are high..except PEA.. So scared to use anymore aminos...he is tired of all the supplements...etc. If there is something that has worked I would love to know

many amino acids are not recommended for people with TS, and I have heard others with non specific tics not liking them either, with exception of the methionine, as well as taurine and carnitine which seem to be helpful to many, but of course individuals differ

quercetin seems to be very popular as a help with lowering histamine so you may want to consider that

I know many parents here also use benedryl in the evenings when their kids have need of lowered histamine

we found omega3 plus ginkgo biloba very good for the ADD

I guess you could try the meds suggested and see if improvement, but do be on the watch for bad side effects as we (and many others) found those more debilitating than the symptoms the drugs were prescribed for.

My son is a PANDAS and Tenex was the first non-stimulant drug we tried. It was a wonder drug. The effect was instant. It helped with his impulsive behavior and tics. He could do school again. The only problem was it didn't last 2pm. This was 1997 and I think there is a patch now. Staterra has to build up in your blood level - this takes time.

Cheri,

Thank you. I will research the ginko biloba, isn't the benadryl dangerous to take all the time?

and does it work for lowering histamine long term..or just that day?

I bought quercitin today.

Thank you,

Lisa

many amino acids are not recommended for people with TS, and I have heard others with non specific tics not liking them either, with exception of the methionine, as well as taurine and carnitine which seem to be helpful to many, but of course individuals differ

quercetin seems to be very popular as a help with lowering histamine so you may want to consider that

I know many parents here also use benedryl in the evenings when their kids have need of lowered histamine

we found omega3 plus ginkgo biloba very good for the ADD

I guess you could try the meds suggested and see if improvement, but do be on the watch for bad side effects as we (and many others) found those more debilitating than the symptoms the drugs were prescribed for.

Thank you...I just read about Ginko biloba possibly creating brain hemmoraging. do you know anything about that

hi Lisa

we have never used benedryl so one of the parents who use it may be best to answer about its safety

Hello,

We did a 2 month trial of Tenex on my son when he was close to age 7. Ultimately, we took him off because of the sedation. He lost his "spunk". He went from this lively exuberant child to someone I couldn't get out of bed. They have a new version of Tenex (forgot the name) but I've heard its less sedating and its long lasting. Good Luck! Andrea

To lower histamine, instead of using OTC antihistamine medications, try quercetin. I got this from our ND, Maxiflav & Isoquercetin and it seems Maxifav works alittle better. Not all quercetin are the same due to the way it was processed. Some are more bioavaible than other.

Pat

• 1 month later...

My son is 8 and has been on clonidine for a year and a half. it has been such a great medication for us b/c he is pretty much tic free since I've figured out his dosing/ timing of it. it does make him tired, so he takes the larger dose at night and a small dose in the morning. He's gained 20 pounds and grown 5 inches this year and I think that has made a huge difference of him not being tired anymore in the morning.

We just started Straterra a week ago b/c his ADHD is pretty severe. He takes his Straterra at night along with his clonidine. I haven't seen any really change with the adhd yet, but straterra usually takes 3-6 weeks to build up in the body before having an affect. so far we have been 99 percent tic free (with both pills that was a big worry) and he has had no side effects from the Straterra.

We did the natural route, but his tics/adhd were interferring with school and friends too much to not seek medication. I know most people on here are really against it, but the clonidine totally changed so much for my son b/c he isn't ticcing much anymore (sometimes at night before bed and he's watching t.v. he will tic a little). I do give him a teaspoon of Kids calm at night too. For him, it's been a successful combination. He is happy, smart, and almost tic free.

I did try lowering his clonidine dose a little at a time this summer and his tics came back, although I did manage to get him down by a 1/2 of pill without the ticcing.

He now takes 2 pills of clonidine at night along with 25mg of Straterra and 1/4 a pill of clonidine in the a.m. with no side effects (except at night he will get sleepy about an hour after taking the pill). I do stick to giving him the pills at the same time each night and morning, for Ry I found this helped a lot with the tiredness. Good luck.