ACN Latitudes Forums

cheese sensitivity, seasonal allergies, fermented foods

Hello,

We have been working on my daughter's diet since November with tremendous success in reducing her tics. I have a couple of questions that some folks here might be able to answer for me.

First off, we have determined that she is sensitive to gluten, MSG, strong (chemical) smells, and "screen time" (tv/computer). We keep her off of everything artificial food-wise just to play it safe.

Ending about a week ago, for about a month in length (or longer) her vocal tics were much more pronounced than they have been since we've been keeping her diet safe. I couldn't figure out why the increase in vocalizations. I have two guesses that I'd like some feedback on.

1. Could she have been increasing her vocal tics in response to a seasonal allergy that she may have had? If so, would traditional allergy tests reveal that? What medications are safe for a TS kid to remedy that?

2. My daughter seems to have no sensitivity to dairy, but it appears that she may be sensitive to cheese...cheddar maybe specifically. Any thoughts why that may be? Do you think she could handle all-natural cheddar? All the ingredients in the cheddar we buy from the conventional grocery store seem to be natural. It could be that she wasn't reacting to cheddar but I'm still considering it a possibility. If she is sensitive to cheddar, would that translate to a sensitivity to all cheeses or is it possible that it's one type of cheese only?

I guess a tag onto this subject is my concern that if a kid is sensitive to MSG does that necessarily translate to a sensitivity to anything fermented? I've been reading Nourishing Traditions and all the fermented foods in there are supposed to be so good at healing the gut, which I think my daughter really needs....not sure what to think about this...any thoughts??

Valerie

Cheese is just bad!! My kid has dairy meltdowns. I would look a lot closer at the dairy thing. It can totally affect behaviors.

Hello,

We have been working on my daughter's diet since November with tremendous success in reducing her tics. I have a couple of questions that some folks here might be able to answer for me.

First off, we have determined that she is sensitive to gluten, MSG, strong (chemical) smells, and "screen time" (tv/computer). We keep her off of everything artificial food-wise just to play it safe.

Ending about a week ago, for about a month in length (or longer) her vocal tics were much more pronounced than they have been since we've been keeping her diet safe. I couldn't figure out why the increase in vocalizations. I have two guesses that I'd like some feedback on.

1. Could she have been increasing her vocal tics in response to a seasonal allergy that she may have had? If so, would traditional allergy tests reveal that? What medications are safe for a TS kid to remedy that?

2. My daughter seems to have no sensitivity to dairy, but it appears that she may be sensitive to cheese...cheddar maybe specifically. Any thoughts why that may be? Do you think she could handle all-natural cheddar? All the ingredients in the cheddar we buy from the conventional grocery store seem to be natural. It could be that she wasn't reacting to cheddar but I'm still considering it a possibility. If she is sensitive to cheddar, would that translate to a sensitivity to all cheeses or is it possible that it's one type of cheese only?

I guess a tag onto this subject is my concern that if a kid is sensitive to MSG does that necessarily translate to a sensitivity to anything fermented? I've been reading Nourishing Traditions and all the fermented foods in there are supposed to be so good at healing the gut, which I think my daughter really needs....not sure what to think about this...any thoughts??

Valerie

We have looked very closely at the diary thing, super-loaded her on milk with no adverse effects. Why would cheese be "just bad"? It is a natural substance.

Cheese is just bad!! My kid has dairy meltdowns. I would look a lot closer at the dairy thing. It can totally affect behaviors.

Cheese is bad because it is moldy. Your daughter probably has a fungal problem. That is common with these kids. I would eliminate dairy for a while unless it is fermented (kefir). I would also look into getting her tested for fungal infection.

Also, cheese is loaded with corn. We deal with corn allergy here (corn is very fungal, too, BTW). We now use cheese but have to shop carefully and don't use it as a staple at all! You may have a corn intolerance that is appearing like an inconsistent dairy allergy. BTDT! If it is corn the process of elimination is pretty tough but well worth it if you can eliminate it completely.

Do heavy probiotics too to help if fungus/mold is her issue. (30-50 billion).