ACN Latitudes Forums

face swelling

when dd is going to have an outburst of somekind, her face gets very swollen, puffy, and round. When it is all over, and she is feeling better, her face returns to its normal slender state. Has anyone else seen a similar experience?

when I tell the docs., they just say they dont know, but it is interesting............

any ideas or thoughts............

Or almost an "allergic reaction," like her immune system reacts strongly to whatever impulse/agent (anaphylactic shock-like?) and brings about inflammation in her face. Wondering . . . do her hands or feet get puffy at all, too? How long does it last?

Or almost an "allergic reaction," like her immune system reacts strongly to whatever impulse/agent (anaphylactic shock-like?) and brings about inflammation in her face. Wondering . . . do her hands or feet get puffy at all, too? How long does it last?

It is only her face, and it slowly goes away after the meltdown.

It could be for 20 min or a couple hours. Thanks

Hi - yes! we have had this on 2 occasions.. once when dd was about a year old and once last year she caught a quick vomit/lethargy/slight upper resp type bug from school that set off a PANDAS flare.

On both occasions she was swollen for less than a day, the second time even shorter than that really just a few hours. For her it isn't the front cheek area it's more swelling along the hair line from side of temple down to chin.. sort of.

My mon gets the parotid gland swelling thing and at 1st the ped thought it might be this but they couldn't really get to the bottom of it. My brother has a dx of angiodema... also in his face. Basically his docs can't figure it out either but he gets more swelling that also includes lips and tongue.

I've ben reading a lot about autoimmune pancreatitis and it's link to Mikulizc's symdrome.. some docs reckon it's linked to Sjogren's. There seems to be a link here for our family but I can't quite get my scientifically rubbish brain to pin it down.

but you may want to look at angiodema (bit of a catch-all) and facial gland swelling for starters. For us I believe it could be related to immune system activation and IgG4 infiltration... probably reaching here a bit with this but our ped sees a lot of digestive enzyme insufficiency in her PANDAS patients... autoimmune pancreatitis? sytemic IgG4 infiltration? I'll try and find the link that I was looking at that lead me down this (maybe rabbit tunnel) route...

Nothing scientific to pass on, but YES! this happens to my son all the time. My husband and I just know "the look" that tells us he is headed downhill. His coloring turns kind of grey and his face looks swollen. Even my son will say - "I feel puffy today". I have never known what it is, but just know when that look appears we are in for a few bad days. When he is having a good day, his face slims down, you can see his cheek bones and his coloring returns to normal.

As wornoutmom has said we get "the look" and yes her face seems swollen. It is something that has been mentioned also by my family when they have seen her in her agitated state. When things get better there is that calmness that returns to her face.

Our dd12 has the face effect too. Our family has noticed it as well. Don't know the root cause but it is definitely associated with an impending explosion of symptoms. I tell every Dr that we see about the physiological change that directly precedes the outburst. No one has explained it other than our ped who thought it may be related to the fight or flight reponse...a primitive reflex response...and that's what a feels like when it's happening, too.