ACN Latitudes Forums

Good decision- an update

I posted earlier in the week about the quick decision to take my DS' tonsils and adenoids out. We did go through with it this morning. The doctor felt on Monday that his throat looked real good but said prophylacticly it was a good decision as a way to reduce PANDAS exacerbations.

After surgery dr. said that while they had not appeared to be swollen prior to surgery they actually were rather large just oriented strangely so you couldn't tell. Also the whole back side of them were covered in pus pockets filled with infection. I'm so glad that we decided to go through with it.

He has also been lucky recovery wise so far- no nausea and generally not feeling too bad.

Great! Ditto here... My son's were taken out this morning and the dr. said that while his tonsils were small upon just an examination, that upon removal they were shriveled up infected tonsils. My son never had sore throats so I was second guessing myself a lot but he had positive cultures a lot... Of course before doing it the nurse said to my son... just think.. soon you won't keep getting sore throats... he looked at her like she was crazy cause he never had a sore throat... she of course figured that since our reason was recurrent strep that it meant he had.

The dr. told me that it's really very common for those small looking tonsils to not really just be small tonsils but rather to be infected squished up tonsils.

I posted earlier in the week about the quick decision to take my DS' tonsils and adenoids out. We did go through with it this morning. The doctor felt on Monday that his throat looked real good but said prophylacticly it was a good decision as a way to reduce PANDAS exacerbations.

After surgery dr. said that while they had not appeared to be swollen prior to surgery they actually were rather large just oriented strangely so you couldn't tell. Also the whole back side of them were covered in pus pockets filled with infection. I'm so glad that we decided to go through with it.

He has also been lucky recovery wise so far- no nausea and generally not feeling too bad.

I think you made the right choice. When we had our dd's t&a done 4 years ago the ENT did not seem to think her tonsils looked bad. Following her surgery he came out shaking his head and told me they were a mess. He said they were chronically infected and falling apart when he removed them.

I guess we could have a new version of "don't judge a book by its cover"

In our PANDAS world, "don't judge tonsils by their size"

My son's too were removed and the biopsy report said they had deep crypts "consistent with recurrent acute tonsillitys" He only had 1 strep throat that I know of!