ACN Latitudes Forums

Pediatric Neurologist - just starting this fight!

When our dd 1st started azith. she was 44 pounds. She got 250mg/day Azith. (so about 12.5mg/kg). Advil also helped (200mg/day). After 5 days, we didn't notice much of a difference, except she was yelling at us a bit less. We almost didn't continue, but Diana P. encouraged us to keep at it. After 14 days, her OCD was much better (she said she wanted to get better and started eating again). By 6 weeks her tics/movements were gone. After 1-2 mo. she still had an "edginess" to her, but she was much much better 80-90%.

When our dd 1st started azith. she was 44 pounds. She got 250mg/day Azith. (so about 12.5mg/kg). Advil also helped (200mg/day). After 5 days, we didn't notice much of a difference, except she was yelling at us a bit less. We almost didn't continue, but Diana P. encouraged us to keep at it. After 14 days, her OCD was much better (she said she wanted to get better and started eating again). By 6 weeks her tics/movements were gone. After 1-2 mo. she still had an "edginess" to her, but she was much much better 80-90%.

EAmom, when you say "she is 80-90% better", do you still continue to give her antibiotics? I am in that state right now, my son is also ~80 better, and I'm not sure if I should continue or start giving him the prophylactic dose (twice a week). For how long we need to continue giving them the abs?

In one hand i don't want to stop in the other, I know that giving abs for so long it is not a good thing.

I just want to clarify... So, your son took 10 days of augmentin and you didn't see improvement? Then, he did the 5 day course of azithromycin, and this would be his 4th round (20 days), and you saw improvement after his 3rd round, which was 15 days of azithromycin?

[My son took 10 days of Augmentin and now he is on his 20th day of azithromycin, we started seeing improvement after 15 days.

My son started azithromycin, and just ended the 5 day course. He is 7 years old, and weighs 50 pounds, or 25 kg... or something like that. He was given 7.5 (is it mg?), or almost 1 1/2 tsp of azithromycin. I haven't noticed a difference with the tics, but I have noticed that he's not doing the touching thing from one ear to the other, which seemed very ocd like.

What do you recommend? I am also putting this question out to Deby and anyone else.

It was really really really hard to get the pediatrician to prescribe the azithromycin for the 5 days. I was thinking of going back and asking for another 5 day course, and hoping that she considers it. Did your daughter stay on it with the 5 days on, and then waited 2 more days until she started the 5 day thing again? Is that how it works? Is she on the full dose now after 6 weeks, or did the doctor lessen/decrease the dose slowly, or what was the formula?

EAmom, when you say "she is 80-90% better", do you still continue to give her antibiotics? I am in that state right now, my son is also ~80 better, and I'm not sure if I should continue or start giving him the prophylactic dose (twice a week). For how long we need to continue giving them the abs?

In one hand i don't want to stop in the other, I know that giving abs for so long it is not a good thing.