ACN Latitudes Forums

Another relative weighs in---so nice to have support- NOT!

One of my favorite Aunts was talking to my Mother and my ds came up. She said her husband studied psychology in college ( 50 years ago) and she has done her own research and there is no such thing as Bacterial caused mental illness that I need to "get off my sons back" and get a job. MY Mom said You have not seen him in years- started talking about he OCD etc... ( IT has probably been 2 years since she has seen him)

My Aunt responded- "other things cause that and I have my own theories, she just needs to deal with the behavioral issues and get off his back.... She also said something about I constantly have something as the "reason" for ds behavior issues- Duh I have been searching for 5 years!!! I have cried to her a number of times not knowing what was wrong.

My Mom ended up hanging up on her- my Aunt called back and said now we are even and hung up on my Mom- can you believe that crap- seriously this was my favorite Aunt.

She also said this Pepsi competition was just a way for Pepsi to advertise and that it is a bunch of crap- my Mom said yes but the top 10 get 50K. My Aunt said that is not going to do anything.

I guess it makes my Christmas shopping list easier....

Brandy

UUUGGGHHHH! I just don't understand when people can't keep their unsolicited opinions to themselves!!!!! What a shame!

You have totally nailed it in terms of describing what it feels like to have an unsupportive relative. I have been dealing with this for years. One of my favorite aunts just died and left me and my sister nothing. In my fantasy it is because of my son and her belief that he is just a jerk and i defend him too much. (I thought he was supposed to be over autism and all that stuff, she said to me after his PANDAS descent into the dark side). My father and she decided that a kid who swears is a bad kid, even though I tried to explain the Tourette's stuff). My mother in law and my aunt actually got together on the phone and had their pow wow about how i din't discipline my son enough -- never mind that my daughter is a straight A student going to an Ivy League college this year -- I just must be a bad mother. This is a lonely life here, lonely because having a kid with aggression makes neighbor's flee, or makes me stay away. It turns family gatherings into nightmares. But I have to say the worst isn't what my son does. It's what the ignorant and not compassionate family members do and say. Take for instance: "Get out of my house!" which is what my mother in law said to my son, her grandson, when he had a rage.

OK, who is raging now.

Pat

Oh, you didn't hear? Your brother in law consulted bgbarns' uncle...that learning annex class is amazing!!!

Either that or it was a zoologist from Shanghai...

bqbarnes -- So sorry you are going through this with your family. It makes a difficult situation even harder to bear. We'll all have extra hugs for you at Monday's support group! Call me if you need to vent!

airial95 -- Thanks for posting! Your comments made my day.

I'm so sorry your aunt is a putz. But happy your mom is so on your side! My mom was a total doubter at first I was so upset. But finally, once the doctor dx'd him, she was on board. She even paid for Dr. T because I was just coming off of disability and in bad shape here. My father kept saying "but we just don't see any of this. He is soooo good when he is with us." Yes, but he was with them last in January, when I had my surgery and he was on the first round of ABX and doing GREAT!. We went out to breakfast for fathers day. My dipwad older brother was continually talking about his dog dying and other things to set my son off. Then my son was doing his head rubbing tic all over my dad and actually scratching and punching my dad!!! As much as I hated to see that - I had to say "hmmmm Dad - see it NOW?" He had such a pained look on his face though. He worships his firstborn grandson. But I was glad he saw it!

I'm so sorry your aunt is a putz. But happy your mom is so on your side! My mom was a total doubter at first I was so upset. But finally, once the doctor dx'd him, she was on board. She even paid for Dr. T because I was just coming off of disability and in bad shape here. My father kept saying "but we just don't see any of this. He is soooo good when he is with us." Yes, but he was with them last in January, when I had my surgery and he was on the first round of ABX and doing GREAT!. We went out to breakfast for fathers day. My dipwad older brother was continually talking about his dog dying and other things to set my son off. Then my son was doing his head rubbing tic all over my dad and actually scratching and punching my dad!!! As much as I hated to see that - I had to say "hmmmm Dad - see it NOW?" He had such a pained look on his face though. He worships his firstborn grandson. But I was glad he saw it!

Oh I have found a very fun way to deal with it-I pmed you my very creative solution....Sorry your family was not behind you- my Dad is in the process of buying Saving Sammy for the whole family and putting together a dossier of research to provide them- love my folks!

BRandy