ACN Latitudes Forums

SDC DIET

Darla

Okay so im desperate this weekend. Having a meltdown over the constant struggles here at home. I feel so beat up. The casien elimination isn't solving any behavior issues. Thinking of going GFCF. I am overwhelmed at cooking things from scratch (im not a great cook by any means) so learning about the ingredients and all that comes with the diet is overwhelming at the moment. Where do I start? What staples of food should I have on hand. Are there any specific stores in massachusetts that sell only GFCF? That would make it sooooo much easier for me than hunting down foods that I don't know exsist. If this diet doesn't work I might try the SDC diet. Specific Carb diet, and if that doesn't work then I may turn to meds. I can't in clear conscience until ive exausted every natural avenue. He's on amino acids supp, b6./mag digestive enzymes and inositol all under dctrs advice after testing. anybody out there, please help if you have helpful info. Thanks for listening, im soo exausted. :P

Darla-

i feel your pain. We started GF CF 3 years ago and I remember that 1st year it really, well it sucked! But now you have people to talk to and a LOT MORE GF/CF foods that are available. Trust me I have gone through many recipes and I hate to cook to. I am just no good at it.

First off we found a wonderful gluten free bread called UDI's. They are based out of Denver and the bread tastes normal. I dont know if you have had some of the "brick" bread that is out there but I have had many and have baked many. UDI's is frozen but unlike other GF/CF breads where you have to toast the bread, UDIS can be left in the pantry. My kid loves it. Our two local grocers sell it and I was just in Whole Foods the other day and now they are carrying it. It was in a weird spot by the bakery so look hard. Cheese is the next thing that is really hard too. We went soy free as well a year later and I was freaking out. Now there is a new GF/CF/Sf cheese out called Daiya. It comes shredded in mozzerella and cheddar flavors and it won the VEgan of the year award. It melts really well and I can make mac n cheese, pizza, lasagna and I sprinkle it right on his spaghett

Let me know if you need further info. My kid had terrible night waking and after I removed dairy it all but disappeared! Have you removed all of it?

Good luck

johnsmom

Okay so im desperate this weekend. Having a meltdown over the constant struggles here at home. I feel so beat up. The casien elimination isn't solving any behavior issues. Thinking of going GFCF. I am overwhelmed at cooking things from scratch (im not a great cook by any means) so learning about the ingredients and all that comes with the diet is overwhelming at the moment. Where do I start? What staples of food should I have on hand. Are there any specific stores in massachusetts that sell only GFCF? That would make it sooooo much easier for me than hunting down foods that I don't know exsist. If this diet doesn't work I might try the SDC diet. Specific Carb diet, and if that doesn't work then I may turn to meds. I can't in clear conscience until ive exausted every natural avenue. He's on amino acids supp, b6./mag digestive enzymes and inositol all under dctrs advice after testing. anybody out there, please help if you have helpful info. Thanks for listening, im soo exausted. :wacko:

Thanks for the info on the bread and cheese. The bread is at whole foods so thats good, but when I tried to locate the cheese it didn't show up. I will still check though next time Im there. Those two items are big ones to know about, thank you. I spent a lot of money yesterday at whole foods buying food. If the package says GF, does that mean it's CF too? I guess I shouldn't assume anything, i mean I know dairy is obvious but i'm still new to this whole thing. Processed meats and cold cuts etc.. but would the GF food have any? I would'nt think so. I am trying to get my husband on board, he is very supportive but only knows what I tell him, so last night I got home from work and he let our son have a bowl of mini wheat cereal??!! So I'm going to go through the cabinets and take it all out. I think we all have to do this otherwise it's to easy for our son to just take the food that is for the others in the household, like yogurt etc. Then the other thing is butter and drinks. What juices and butter are safe?

thanks again.

Darla-

i feel your pain. We started GF CF 3 years ago and I remember that 1st year it really, well it sucked! But now you have people to talk to and a LOT MORE GF/CF foods that are available. Trust me I have gone through many recipes and I hate to cook to. I am just no good at it.

First off we found a wonderful gluten free bread called UDI's. They are based out of Denver and the bread tastes normal. I dont know if you have had some of the "brick" bread that is out there but I have had many and have baked many. UDI's is frozen but unlike other GF/CF breads where you have to toast the bread, UDIS can be left in the pantry. My kid loves it. Our two local grocers sell it and I was just in Whole Foods the other day and now they are carrying it. It was in a weird spot by the bakery so look hard. Cheese is the next thing that is really hard too. We went soy free as well a year later and I was freaking out. Now there is a new GF/CF/Sf cheese out called Daiya. It comes shredded in mozzerella and cheddar flavors and it won the VEgan of the year award. It melts really well and I can make mac n cheese, pizza, lasagna and I sprinkle it right on his spaghett

Let me know if you need further info. My kid had terrible night waking and after I removed dairy it all but disappeared! Have you removed all of it?

Good luck

johnsmom

Okay so im desperate this weekend. Having a meltdown over the constant struggles here at home. I feel so beat up. The casien elimination isn't solving any behavior issues. Thinking of going GFCF. I am overwhelmed at cooking things from scratch (im not a great cook by any means) so learning about the ingredients and all that comes with the diet is overwhelming at the moment. Where do I start? What staples of food should I have on hand. Are there any specific stores in massachusetts that sell only GFCF? That would make it sooooo much easier for me than hunting down foods that I don't know exsist. If this diet doesn't work I might try the SDC diet. Specific Carb diet, and if that doesn't work then I may turn to meds. I can't in clear conscience until ive exausted every natural avenue. He's on amino acids supp, b6./mag digestive enzymes and inositol all under dctrs advice after testing. anybody out there, please help if you have helpful info. Thanks for listening, im soo exausted. :lol:

• 1 month later...