ACN Latitudes Forums

New Member Seeks Help and Advice

Dara

Hello Everyone,

My name is Dara Pfeil (pronounced 'File') and I live with my husband Karl and two sons Karl Henry (4 1/2 yrs) and Graham (3 yrs) in Fair Haven, New Jersey. I'm so happy to have found this web site. The last year has been so devastating for us in regards to my son Karl. Let me give you a quick run down on what's happened.

Actually, I must back up even before the last year. At about three weeks of age Karl became colicky. His periods of crying and irritability increased during the first year of life. As a side note he was formula fed with Similac. At about a year old he became aggressive with other children, cried all the time, was grumpy, angry and irritable and just wasn't a pleasant child. He also began banging his head face down into his pillow while trying to fall asleep. At 2 1/2 years old we noticed bi-lateral eye blinking that lasted a couple of weeks. At that time we took him to a pediatric ophthalmologist who told us that it would probably go away and not to worry about it. Last November 2003 the eye blinking returned. During November & December of 2003 and into January, February and March of 2004 the eye blinking increased. We also noticed a cough. During this five-month eye blinking, coughing period we took Karl to see Dr. Emanuel Dicicco-Bloom at Robert Wood Johnson Medical School, Department of Pediatrics in New Brunswick, New Jersey. Dr. Dicicco-Bloom told us that if Karl's tic just stayed as a bi-lateral eye blink without any other tics, that we should not be concerned and should go on with life as normal. No one could have prepared us for what would take place over the next seven months.

One day in early April, the eye blinking turned into a full facial tic(s) which included (in one facial movement) severe rolling of the eyes, pulling the top lip over the top teeth and pulling down the jaw. During this time we also noticed lots of throat clearing and coughing. Let me also mention that during these months Karl had had several colds, which we thought were the catalyst for the throat clearing and coughing.

In May, we took Karl to see Dr. Richard Sultan (a neurologist in Monmouth County, NJ) who diagnosed Karl Henry with 'multiple motor tics.' Dr. Sultan had 'THE WORST' bedside manner and was extremely cocky. He asked us to come into his office and told us that on a scale of 1 to 10, Karl was a 5. He also answered all of our questions before we got a chance to ask them and told us that all we needed to know was what he told us and for us to come back in 6 months. I can't begin to tell you the DEVASTATION we felt that day. Hopeless doesn't even begin to explain it.

June came, and all the tics mentioned above were still happening on a daily basis. We took Karl to a Homeopathy doctor, Dr. John Genco in Rumson, NJ. We loved him. Two weeks after being on several remedies the facial tic(s) completely went away, only to be replaced by the most horrendous vocal tic. It sounds like someone trying to cough up mucus - really loud. During the summer I took him to an allergist to be tested for pollen, dust, mold, etc. but Karl wouldn't let them do the scratch test so we ended up leaving without any answers. We also took him to a nutritionist, Dr. William Kelly who tested Karl for food sensitivities through a hair analysis. The results showed that he was sensitive to wheat, white flour, milk, chocolate, sulfides, cats and a couple of other things. Dr. Kelly also practiced homeopathy, and prescribed a whole slew of remedies. Between Dr. Genco and Dr. Kelly, Karl was on 16 different remedies daily in addition to diet restrictions. We followed the above regime through the summer but didn't really notice any difference in the tics.

September 1st came and we took Karl to see Dr. Lawrence Brown a pediatric neurologist at the Children’s hospital of Philadelphia. He also diagnosed Karl with a multiple motor tic disorder and asked us to come back within six months for a check up. (As a side note, Karl's tics were almost non-existent that day). We thought things weren't too bad until the evening of September 3rd. Karl began the worst tic we've seen so far - an abdominal tic. The abdominal tic consisted of a tightening of the abdominal region and neck muscles. This tic also effected his walking. Every time he had a tic while walking (which was sometimes every two or three minutes), he would stop, tighten and cross his legs. Each time he did this it would throw his walking off and he would almost fall down. We were completely hysterical and devastated to see his tics move from the face/throat to his body. And so frustrated that we weren't able to stop it. This tic lasted for about a week and a half. After that, Karl had a week of being almost tic free. After the 'ab tic incident' we were so upset, that we took Karl off of all the remedies and relaxed his diet restrictions. We just didn't know what to do.

October for Karl has consisted of ab tics, facial tics and vocal tics. Please keep in mind that none of his peers notice any of it. 4 1/2 year olds aren't that observant, thank-god. Karl’s preschool teacher is aware of the situation and hasn't yet mentioned that it is distracting or causing problems for Karl or the class. As his mom, I see every tic, which usually results in nausea and heart palpitations for me. I'm not a prescription drug user at all, but I actually think I need to be on an anti-anxiety or anti-depression medication to get through this. My emotions and mood swings aren't helping the situation at all. I cry at least once a day and have feelings of anger, depression and grief. I can't explain to anyone the 'sadness' I feel about what has happened to our beautiful son. I feel so bad that he has to be the one living it.

Over the last couple of months I've done a lot of reading and researching on the web and do feel pretty knowledgeable about what we're facing. Our next course of action is to find a doctor who can do the appropriate tests for allergies and food sensitivities. Though we visited that road a couple of months ago, I think we need to re-visit it.

Can anyone out there suggest a good doctor who does this type of testing? Of course we'd prefer someone in New York, New Jersey or Pennsylvania, but if we have to go out of state we'll do it. We'll do anything to help our son. I'm open to any comments and/or help that the readers of this website could offer.

Thank you so much for listening to me. I've felt very alone during these last couple of months. Looking forward to talking with all of you.

Dara

HI Dara, welcome to the group,

Boy that sounds like an AA intro :wacko: (sorry)

I related to every emotion you just described. It is gut renching to see our children go through this, but let me tell you with complete conviction. This site will help you more then 20 neurologists, paediatritions and conventional medical doctors put together.

I see that you have been down the path that most of us have taken.

One of the main things that stands out is your sons allergy problems as well as the fact that he was so young when you noticed the tics.

Have you heard of salicylates and amines and natural glutamates (msg)?

These are naturally occuring chemicals in foods which are not picked up in allergy testing either by the scratch test or pathology tests.

Some of the most recent threads on this site have discussed these in length so I won't repeat a lot of the info.

I know the Aussie thread has some on it and a lot of the others on the first page are insightful.

I will however strongly recommend that you look up either the Feingold (sorry don't know that address) site or the www.fedupwithfoodadditives.info site which has heaps of info and you can join up with chat groups which are very interesting.

For a lot of us Heavy metal testing is a must, yeast testing and elimination seems to help a lot of us here as well.

The other Claire has listed a thread for new members which gives a list of things to check for.

It can be very overwhelming for new comers to take in, so take your time and go slow. I wouldn't be trying everything at once because it would send you over the edge for starters and wouldn't be fair on the rest of the family.

One of the major causes I have found in the threads and with my own experience is artificial and natural colors/ flavours and preservatives.

Your biggest challenge will be to read every label and still doubt if they are telling the truth!

To give you hope a lot of us have been able to reduce our childrens tics to almost nothing and I think a few have even got rid of them altogether.

I have three boys who all had symptoms ranging from mild to severe and with a lot of hard frustrating work over the last 18 months which has mainly been trial and error, I have finally got the tics down to 1% or less.

Stress, illness or food will change from day to day and the amount of symptoms they experience vary's slightly, but now I don't have that emotional rollercoaster that I went through as you are now.

The other major thing that we have almost all found to help are the supplements.

The diets are great, but the supplements are a miracle.

If you need any help along your journey, just ask and any one of us will help you.

Love and Healing

Clare from Australia. ;)

Hi Dara,

Welcome, and I share Ausclare's feeling that this site will help you more than any number of doctor's that you might visit. We are currently seeing a wonderful naturopath who has guided us through the healing but there were many things that I have learned through this site beyond what my naturopath prescribed.

Since it is all very new research there doesn't seem to be one doctor who has all the answers. I also share your feelings of crying in despair on a daily basis when the tics were at their worst. You need to have faith that it will get better once you find the sensitivities. You are in the right place coming to this website and I am convinced you that you find some relief for your son once you try some of the treatments that you will read about on here.

I joined the Feingold Association in the spring and found that while following this diet and removing TV/game screens from my son's daily routine that the tics could be stopped. We do not want to omit these things for life from our son so we have also taken other steps with supplements and have been able to reintroduce the triggers over the last couple of months with minimal reaction.

If you go to yahoo and do a search on Feingold, the official site will come up for the Feingold Association in the States. It is basically avoiding additives, preservatives, colour/dyes and sometimes natural occurring salicylates that are in many fruits. It takes some work since different children react to different things so it is really trial and error until you find your child's sensitivities. If you join the Association for $100 you get all of the literature and they will give you a food shopping list that allows brand names that don't contain certain harmful additives. There is also a forum that you would have access to that has at least 50 posts each day with parents sharing information on food related issues, recipes, etc. If you read some of the backposts on this forum (Latitudes) you will see that Jeff is a big promoter of this diet and his family's tics go completely away when they are on this diet.

Other common food triggers are milk, wheat, corn or corn syrup, chocolate, or peanut butter.

We have also tested for yeast and heavy metals and are currently using natural supplements to help my son detox these toxic chemicals. Don't be discouraged if it doesn't happen quickly as the healing can be a long process with many highs and lows.

I encourage you to read through some of the backposts on this site as each person has found their own sensitivities.

If you have any specific questions while reading, just post them and someone will answer in a timely manner. There are many wonderful caring parents on this site and I don't know where I would be without it over the last several months.

Heather

Hi Dara and welcome

I join with Clare and Heather in welcoming you, and in sharing the anguish you feel. I so clearly remember when I was there.

But to encourage you.....note I use the word "was"......my son suddenly started very intense vocal and motor tics along with debilitating OCD just after his 10th birthday.

We were told by an arrogant neurologist that there was "no hope" of him living a normal life without strong medications. well, those meds nearly killed him during the year he was on them and then thankfully we turned to a natural approach. It was a steady progression, but now, five years later, our son's tics are very mild and the OCD is barely noticeable.

We had to first detoxify his body from the meds :wacko: and then run tests, not only for food and other environmental allergies, but also for PANDAs (strep induced neurological problems) Candida (internal yeast infection) and heavy metals(especially mercury from vaccinations) and also Pyroluria.

Once all that was done, we began natural supplements and diet modifications, along with VERY VALUABLE accupuncture, reflexology and biofeedback therapy.

I have tried to summarize our experience in the following thread which I have also bumped up for you.

http://www.latitudes.org/forums/index.php?...p?showtopic=687

here is also a thread from Dr Rogers on finding good medical help

http://www.latitudes.org/forums/index.php?...p?showtopic=565

You have sure come to the right place to get a wealth of knowledge from people who care and share their varied experiences.

Take heart Dara......there is lots of reason to hope as many here have seen very positive results.

;)

Dara,

Welcome. We have ALL been there. Most of us are as committed as you are to not leaving any stones unturned. The beauty of this site is that a large group of committed parents do intensive research through doctors and the internet and share the information. Plus we support eachother. I cannot overstate the potentially life-changing importance of the information gathered here. We have all searched everywhere--here is it. The wonder of the internet and committed parents.

There is no panacea as you know--not yet known anyway. Lots of trial and error--please look at the site for what strikes you.

The link Chemar posted to finding a good doctor is fundamental.

We all have our paths, with commonalities that others have mentioned. Important to investigate foods, mercury, yeast, supplements...

I have to get on my soapbox about one thing that has also impacted a huge number of us, that Heather already mentioned:

SCREENS. TV/Computer/Gameboy. It sounds like your child was 3 1/2 when the tics returned. Does he watch TV or play computer/playstation games then? If he is only 4 1/2, this could be very easy to try the "No screens" test for a week. (tougher for an older child).

http://www.latitudes.org/forums/index.php?...&st=0#entry5409

We have other summary threads, but given all you have already tried, this is worth considering. Regardless of its impact, the mercury/yeast/food angles are worth time and effort.

Claire

Dara

I know how you are feeling, I have certainly felt it myself for my own sons. But it's clear from your post that you are a loving, supportive parent who will stop at nothing in seeking out help for your child. What a lucky child he is to have you supporting him, helping him. And you WILL find something that will help your son,

whatever that may be.

In the six years since my sons first started having tics, I have learned a lot. When they get a disturbing tic, your devastation in seeing it is that you fear it may never stop. My experience with my children's tics is that most of them come and go (wax and wane), over a period of weeks (sometimes months) and change, that seems to be the nature of TS tics. Some tics can persist even longer, but you can try things to reduce the severity of them such as are suggested here in this forum.

In addition to what the regulars have suggested to you, I have another suggestion. Is your son under any stress? Has he started school - does he have a strict, inflexible teacher? My youngest sons tics emerged and exploded when he started school - combination of severe separation anxiety, and completely inflexible, rigid teachers who inspired nothing but fear in him. Other things, such as Gameboy, etc. made it much worse. When I intervened at school and forced them to quit stressing him, and cut down on his GameBoy use, his tics diminished to almost zero.

Keep reading on this site and you will find many valuable tips to help you, that have helped me and many others.

Hi Dara,

Welcome, as others have posted there is a huge amount of info here in our Latitudes World. READ READ READ........ You will find answers and ideas on helping your son.

I know a lot of people have addressed the issues with your son so I wanted to address your feelings of depression and heartache.

I think a lot of people here can understand your frustration with doctors. I know for myself being told "here is the outcome now go home and deal with it" was one of the worst days of my life. So I can understand your feelings. I did go into extreme depression and ended up on Paxil. I do not recommend this at all. It completely changes who you are. It's numbing from all feelings not just the awful ones. You need to feel to be able to help your son and yourself.....

After my son was diagnosed with TS I can remember having to go back east (just me and my son) via Airplane shortly after 9/11 and thinking to myself that if the plane goes down so be it. It would be better than having my son have to live this way for the rest of his life... How sad is that. Now I can't even believe that I ever felt that way. But I was so depressed. My Son is so bright and such an inspiration to so many people. I wouldn't trade him in for anything. He has taught me so much and he is only 9.

I found this website completely by accident and have been reading almost daily and posting now and than for the past 2 years. It is what helped me with my depression not any magic pill. What a feeling to know that I can actually help my child and not have to sit back and do nothing. I consider myself (and other moms here) the true Dr. Mom's.

Your quote - "I can't explain to anyone the 'sadness' I feel about what has happened to our beautiful son." You don't even have to try and explain it we have all lived it and understand it all to well. I can tell you for me that I now know that the emotion that I was going through was actually Grief I was not aware of that until last year when I lost my Dad to an awful accident that I could actually compare the feeling of Grief from loosing my Dad to the day my son was diagnosed. In some strange way your feeling like its a loss. But it will get better.

Best of luck to you,

Remember read and get as much info as you can from this website. Knowledge is Power.

Gina

Hello Dara and welcome

Many of us here know all too well how you are feeling, but there is hope.

My 6 year old son started ticcing in early April. I live in the Phila suburbs and Dr Brown at CHOP was one of the ped neurologists recommended to us as well but I couldn't get an appointment with him until September!, so we decided to go with another Dr that was recommended. In any case the diagnosis was TS and the doc really didn't offer much other than the suggestion of meds when he was older. Luckily I found this site and started doing some things on my own (eliminating artifical, colors, flavors, preservatives, high fructose corn syrup) and also found a pediatrician who practices homeopathy to order tests and help guide me. By September my son was tic free, although we're still dealing with some anger management issues.

One of the things that jumped out at me about your post is that you mentioned that your son was sick with several colds when he started ticcing. Has your son been tested for Strep? Have you heard of PANDAS? This appears to have been my son's trigger last spring. Blood tests at the time we he started ticcing showed elevated ASO titers and although the rapid strep test came back negative, the one that was sent out for culture came back positive. He was treated with antibiotics. Within the past week he started with some minor facial tics again. Sure enough, even though he didn't have the classic strep symptoms, only cold symptoms, he tested postive for strep and I have him on antibiotics. Ronnas is our PANDAS expert. If you look at the thread I recently started about my son being sick with a cold and seeking advice Ronnas has posted some great links to PANDAS information. I recommend you read them and see if anything "clicks".

If you want to e-mail me privately I could also share with you my experience with my homeopathic doctor who is located in the Phila PA suburbs.

You've found a great place here and there is hope for your child.

Susanna

HI Dara, welcome to the group,

Boy that sounds like an AA intro :) (sorry)

I related to every emotion you just described. It is gut renching to see our children go through this, but let me tell you with complete conviction. This site will help you more then 20 neurologists, paediatritions and conventional medical doctors put together.

I see that you have been down the path that most of us have taken.

One of the main things that stands out is your sons allergy problems as well as the fact that he was so young when you noticed the tics.

Have you heard of salicylates and amines and natural glutamates (msg)?

These are naturally occuring chemicals in foods which are not picked up in allergy testing either by the scratch test or pathology tests.

Some of the most recent threads on this site have discussed these in length so I won't repeat a lot of the info.

I know the Aussie thread has some on it and a lot of the others on the first page are insightful.

I will however strongly recommend that you look up either the Feingold (sorry don't know that address) site or the www.fedupwithfoodadditives.info site which has heaps of info and you can join up with chat groups which are very interesting.

For a lot of us Heavy metal testing is a must, yeast testing and elimination seems to help a lot of us here as well.

The other Claire has listed a thread for new members which gives a list of things to check for.

It can be very overwhelming for new comers to take in, so take your time and go slow. I wouldn't be trying everything at once because it would send you over the edge for starters and wouldn't be fair on the rest of the family.

One of the major causes I have found in the threads and with my own experience is artificial and natural colors/ flavours and preservatives.

Your biggest challenge will be to read every label and still doubt if they are telling the truth!

To give you hope a lot of us have been able to reduce our childrens tics to almost nothing and I think a few have even got rid of them altogether.

I have three boys who all had symptoms ranging from mild to severe and with a lot of hard frustrating work over the last 18 months which has mainly been trial and error, I have finally got the tics down to 1% or less.

Stress, illness or food will change from day to day and the amount of symptoms they experience vary's slightly, but now I don't have that emotional rollercoaster that I went through as you are now.

The other major thing that we have almost all found to help are the supplements.

The diets are great, but the supplements are a miracle.

If you need any help along your journey, just ask and any one of us will help you.

Love and Healing

Clare from Australia. ;)

Thanks Ausclare,

Sorry it's taken me a couple of days to respond. I'm so mentally exhausted that I barely have time to get to the computer. Today we took Karl for a check up to his pediatric neurologist. My plan on Monday is to contact Dr. Majid Ali (he's in New Jersey) who does all the allergy/nutritional testing that I think our son needs. I've made a mental note of all the things that you mentioned in yourr posting. Thank you so much for the comments. I feel like I've just joined a big family.

Dara

Hi Dara,

Welcome, and I share Ausclare's feeling that this site will help you more than any number of doctor's that you might visit. We are currently seeing a wonderful naturopath who has guided us through the healing but there were many things that I have learned through this site beyond what my naturopath prescribed.

Since it is all very new research there doesn't seem to be one doctor who has all the answers. I also share your feelings of crying in despair on a daily basis when the tics were at their worst. You need to have faith that it will get better once you find the sensitivities. You are in the right place coming to this website and I am convinced you that you find some relief for your son once you try some of the treatments that you will read about on here.

I joined the Feingold Association in the spring and found that while following this diet and removing TV/game screens from my son's daily routine that the tics could be stopped. We do not want to omit these things for life from our son so we have also taken other steps with supplements and have been able to reintroduce the triggers over the last couple of months with minimal reaction.

If you go to yahoo and do a search on Feingold, the official site will come up for the Feingold Association in the States. It is basically avoiding additives, preservatives, colour/dyes and sometimes natural occurring salicylates that are in many fruits. It takes some work since different children react to different things so it is really trial and error until you find your child's sensitivities. If you join the Association for $100 you get all of the literature and they will give you a food shopping list that allows brand names that don't contain certain harmful additives. There is also a forum that you would have access to that has at least 50 posts each day with parents sharing information on food related issues, recipes, etc. If you read some of the backposts on this forum (Latitudes) you will see that Jeff is a big promoter of this diet and his family's tics go completely away when they are on this diet.

Other common food triggers are milk, wheat, corn or corn syrup, chocolate, or peanut butter.

We have also tested for yeast and heavy metals and are currently using natural supplements to help my son detox these toxic chemicals. Don't be discouraged if it doesn't happen quickly as the healing can be a long process with many highs and lows.

I encourage you to read through some of the backposts on this site as each person has found their own sensitivities.

If you have any specific questions while reading, just post them and someone will answer in a timely manner. There are many wonderful caring parents on this site and I don't know where I would be without it over the last several months.

Heather

Hi Heather,

Thanks so much for responding to my posting. We took Karl to see his pediatric neurologist today. What a waste of time. They talked to us about meds. They don't believe in any alternative treatment. Our next step is to get Karl tested for allergies and nutritional triggers. I'll keep you posted. Thanks again.

Dara.

Hi Dara and welcome

I join with Clare and Heather in welcoming you, and in sharing the anguish you feel. I so clearly remember when I was there.

But to encourage you.....note I use the word "was"......my son suddenly started very intense vocal and motor tics along with debilitating OCD just after his 10th birthday.

We were told by an arrogant neurologist that there was "no hope" of him living a normal life without strong medications. well, those meds nearly killed him during the year he was on them and then thankfully we turned to a natural approach. It was a steady progression, but now, five years later, our son's tics are very mild and the OCD is barely noticeable.

We had to first detoxify his body from the meds :) and then run tests, not only for food and other environmental allergies, but also for PANDAs (strep induced neurological problems) Candida (internal yeast infection) and heavy metals(especially mercury from vaccinations) and also Pyroluria.

Once all that was done, we began natural supplements and diet modifications, along with VERY VALUABLE accupuncture, reflexology and biofeedback therapy.

I have tried to summarize our experience in the following thread which I have also bumped up for you.

http://www.latitudes.org/forums/index.php?...p?showtopic=687

here is also a thread from Dr Rogers on finding good medical help

http://www.latitudes.org/forums/index.php?...p?showtopic=565

You have sure come to the right place to get a wealth of knowledge from people who care and share their varied experiences.

Take heart Dara......there is lots of reason to hope as many here have seen very positive results.

;)

Dear Chemar,

As I told Ausclare and Heather, I finally feel like I've found the right people to talk to. How frustrating it's been for me. Thank you so much for welcoming me and responding. Our next step is to get Karl tested for allergies and food sensitivities. I'll keep you posted.

Dara.

Dara,

Welcome. We have ALL been there. Most of us are as committed as you are to not leaving any stones unturned. The beauty of this site is that a large group of committed parents do intensive research through doctors and the internet and share the information. Plus we support eachother. I cannot overstate the potentially life-changing importance of the information gathered here. We have all searched everywhere--here is it. The wonder of the internet and committed parents.

There is no panacea as you know--not yet known anyway. Lots of trial and error--please look at the site for what strikes you.

The link Chemar posted to finding a good doctor is fundamental.

We all have our paths, with commonalities that others have mentioned. Important to investigate foods, mercury, yeast, supplements...

I have to get on my soapbox about one thing that has also impacted a huge number of us, that Heather already mentioned:

SCREENS. TV/Computer/Gameboy. It sounds like your child was 3 1/2 when the tics returned. Does he watch TV or play computer/playstation games then? If he is only 4 1/2, this could be very easy to try the "No screens" test for a week. (tougher for an older child).

http://www.latitudes.org/forums/index.php?...&st=0#entry5409

We have other summary threads, but given all you have already tried, this is worth considering. Regardless of its impact, the mercury/yeast/food angles are worth time and effort.

Claire

Hi Claire,

Thanks so much for responding to my posting. In all the reading I've done I haven't come across any about the TV/Video stuff. My 4 year old with the tics loves TV. This is something that I'll keep in mind.

Dara.

Dara,

I didn't post this one thread I put together, sorry...

http://www.latitudes.org/forums/index.php?...p?showtopic=798

As you go through this site, you will find links to more and more data. Unfortunately, no formal studies (or virtually none) on alternative treatments for tics. So the burden will be on you to reach your own conclusions--and hopefully find the right doctor. Be careful with a general allergist--some only do IgE food testing, and not IgG. ie our kids' sensitivities don't show on a normal IgE test. Many other methods are used to determine them. The IgE tests are good for excema, phlemme, hives, but less so for neurological issues.

Don't worry about replying to each of us individually--we all pretty much read all the threads.

Claire

D1: Eur Neurol. 2002;48(1):49-51. Related Articles, Links

Late-onset PANDAS syndrome with abdominal muscle involvement.

Martinelli P, Ambrosetto G, Minguzzi E, Battaglia S, Rizzo G, Scaglione C.

Institute of Neurology, University of Bologna, Italy. pmartin@neuro.unibo.it

Publication Types:

Case Reports

PMID: 12138313 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]

Dara,

I came across this tonight and I thought you might be interested. If you go to PubMed (link is on BrainTalk...under the "Google search) you can order the whole article online...

Hi Diane,

Sorry it's taken me so long to write back. We had a doctors appointment last Thursday (to discuss meds) and then of course spent Friday and Saturday getting ready for Halloween. My son was such a mess yesterday. There's a definate correlation between his tics and sugar. We're finally seeing an allergist/nutritionist next Wednesday. Keep you posted.

Dara