ACN Latitudes Forums

Gluten-free vegetarian diet.. ..

I've found that autism forums are full of people that are really helpful.... just like this forum. Most of the people on them, have been forced to research all hrs of the day and night to save their children since there aren't too many dr.'s that are willing to help. Since gut issues run rampant in the autism community, you'll find lots and lots of info on those boards. And you'll be welcomed with open arms, even though you're not autistic! You can also check out autismweb.com (don't have to wait for a membership). Since you don't have access to a dr. that is willing to help, you should be able to find a lot of advice about diet and supplements on those boards.

-Amber

I've found that autism forums are full of people that are really helpful.... just like this forum. Most of the people on them, have been forced to research all hrs of the day and night to save their children since there aren't too many dr.'s that are willing to help. Since gut issues run rampant in the autism community, you'll find lots and lots of info on those boards. And you'll be welcomed with open arms, even though you're not autistic! You can also check out autismweb.com (don't have to wait for a membership). Since you don't have access to a dr. that is willing to help, you should be able to find a lot of advice about diet and supplements on those boards.

-Amber

Thank you! I will get on that tomorrow. ^_^

This forum provided me with a list of doctors that are P.A.N.D.A.S. savvy, so I hope to just be able to go that route soon.

• 4 weeks later...

Just wanted to add my 2c here and say that you do need to make sure you are getting enough protein, and that if you are using nuts for protein, then you need to counter-balance the Omega 6's with Omega 3's. You can do some research on this yourself too, but basically Omega 6s are inflammatory, which is great for healing if you have, say, a cut. Omega 3's are ANTI inflammatory. With PANDAS, you are already dealing with inflammation, and then to add a big dump of Omega 3's on top is adding fuel to the fire.

Omega 3's can be found in things like wild-caught fish, fish-oil (be careful, some have mercury!), flax seeds (ground up and in the oil), dairy from grass-fed animals (cow, goat), and walnuts have the best ratio as far as nuts go.

Manda

Glad to see your post. We are in the same place. I'm on a gluten free diet and my daughter is a vegetarian. So, it can be challenging to come up with meals. I frequently end up cooking several things. There are lots of gluten free recipes online.

I have had stabbing pains in my abdominal area every day for years now that nothing seems to help. I had always figured that it had something to do with an emergency appendectomy that I received about seven years ago until I read about "nonspecific abdominal pain" being a symptom on Dr. Kovacevic's website & talked to another girl from the forums about it.

Has anyone had success with gluten-free diets? & also, is there any way to maintain a healthy vegetarian gluten-free diet? I haven't eaten meat in almost seven years (I also don't drink milk & I rarely ever eat eggs) & I don't think that I'm willing to give that up for the diet if it's not possible to combine the two.

Also, are there any gluten-free cookbooks that anyone could recommend?? Thank you very much.

Pixiesmommy - I take flaxseed oil! Where could I get the omega 6's though? & I am sure to get lots of protein. Six years into my vegetarian diet, I know the importance of beans & nuts. I used to get a lot of soy protein, but sadly enough I can't do that anymore. So yummy. I miss it, hahah.

& Kaki - We actually found a GREAT cookbook at our local bookstore! We found two that I could use, a vegetarian gluten-free one & a vegan gluten-free. We ended up going with just the veg one because the vegan one was too fancy.

Mom hasn't cooked anything out of it yet.. God bless her, she's trying to be as supportive of this diet as she can but I've been practically living off of mashed potatoes & fruit this whole time. She stood up for me during a family dinner fiasco, which was very nice. But my family normally NEVER ever cooks. Everyone microwaves their food. So I'm just having a hard time trying to convince her to cook now.

Pixiesmommy - I take flaxseed oil! Where could I get the omega 6's though? & I am sure to get lots of protein. Six years into my vegetarian diet, I know the importance of beans & nuts. I used to get a lot of soy protein, but sadly enough I can't do that anymore. So yummy. I miss it, hahah.

& Kaki - We actually found a GREAT cookbook at our local bookstore! We found two that I could use, a vegetarian gluten-free one & a vegan gluten-free. We ended up going with just the veg one because the vegan one was too fancy.

Mom hasn't cooked anything out of it yet.. God bless her, she's trying to be as supportive of this diet as she can but I've been practically living off of mashed potatoes & fruit this whole time. She stood up for me during a family dinner fiasco, which was very nice. But my family normally NEVER ever cooks. Everyone microwaves their food. So I'm just having a hard time trying to convince her to cook now.

Thnnks for the cookbook ideas. I'll have to look for them.