ACN Latitudes Forums

TS and Stuttering..My experience

Hi everyone,

I am new to this forum and wanted to inform you all on my situation. I am a 23 yr old college graduate that has been dealing with TS and Stuttering(capitalized bc of its significants in my life lol) my entire life. I am to the point now that I have been having suicidal thoughts even though I know I would never stoop to that level and end my life because of my situations. My parents are in denial about my situation which hurts because I would like my parents to be more educated on TS and Stuttering and could understand my situation by at least doing research to understand where I am comming from. Lately, I have had severe anxiety because of my stuttering and tourettes. Today, I could not even go to the gym to play ball and lift weights because my anxiety level was high due to fear of stuttering and tics. I am a pretty popular guy in general, but lately I have been noticing myself so anxious that I can not even leave the house some days. Also, I am interviewing with different companies and I get so anxious about the interview that I think the interviewer is judging me by the way I speak vs what I am actually saying. I have tried different homeopathic remedys which are all croks of ###### and have used medications such as clonidine and seroquel that have made me feel like a zombie all day. Although seroquel has worked the best, the side effects have outweighed the benefits. At first, seroquel was effective in helping with my speech and helping me think more clearer and feel like my normal self, and also helping with my tics. But I have experienced weight gain and confusing during the day that made me quit the medication. I would like to know if anyone has any of the same experiences not only with dealing with tourettes syndrome, but also with stuttering and anxiety. Anything will help.

Thanks,

Letscope

Hi and welcome

many of the TS patients represented here have had a lot of benefit from extra magnesium and a lot use Natural Calm, a powdered "ionic" magnesium citrate supplement that makes a very calming drink, soothing in general and very beneficial in reducing tics.

it comes in a number of forms as part of the Natural Vitality range

http://www.iherb.com/Search?kw=natural+calm

another really helpful way to relax and reduce tics is by taking tub soaks (2 cups, tub warm water, soak 20 min) or footbaths with Epsom Salts (magnesium sulfate)

my son is now 20yo and had very intense tics and OCD/anxiety when younger, but has had almost 10 years of really mild symptoms from careful "clean" diet (avoids artificial/chemical food additives) and correct supplements, with primarily the extra magnesium for tics and natural serotonin boosters for the OCD/anxiety stuff. He likes samE and Inositol best at present for that.

an amino acid, l-carnitine, is sometimes found to be helpful for vocal tics, which stuttering falls into

I do hope your parents will become more informed so that they can be of support to you.

here is a good "overview" of TS in case they may be inclined to read it

http://www.tourettesyndrome.net/

Hi Letscope

what I wrote about is NOT homeopathic remedies!!!

homeopathy is when the remedy contains minute amounts of the substance that would normally cause the symptoms

I wrote of *nutrition* and diet and supplements....which are not in any way the same as homeopathy

just wanted to be sure you dont remain confused on that as naturopathic treatment is *very* different from homeopathic treatment!

Hi again Letscope,

I didnt see this post (more about stuttering) and replied about my experience with my son with stuttering in your other thread.

From wathcing my son...I can definitely see how anxiety makes the stuttering worse (and tics as well, often). WHen it (the stuttering) was Really bad for him, he couldnt even get a single word out hardly.....

I can laugh about this now....but when he was about 5 years old, he and his 2 year old brother went out to play one spring (muddy) day.....my son (the stutterer) came running back to the house, all upset/excited.....trying and trying to tell me something....aughh.....all he could get out was "hey mom" (and that was a struggle)....but I could definitely tell something was very wrong and he was wanting my attention for something very important....

Followed him ouside to find the younger (2 year old) stuck standing in mud in the garden up to his knees !! !! ...couldnt get out!.....

It's a funny story now....but how sad/frustrating for my son not to be able to get any words out (except 'hey mom!") when he very much wanted to.

Another thing I found interesting...when he was in little league , he was always outfield, and they'd want him to yell out "got it" when he was planning on catching the ball.....but, for him.....his brain just wasnt capable of focusing on both SAYING that AND catching the ball at the same time.........obviously, there is some sort of wiring in the brain that involves him needing to FOCUS something to be able to get the words out.....and, when stressed or having to focus on something else....is very difficult.

He would be able to read/recite things without much stuttering...but to both have to think about WHAT he was going to say, PLUS say it, was much more difficult for him.

Anyhow, I dont see any mention of speech therapists in your thread/experiences trying to decrease stuttering........so that would be a suggestion from me...--> look for a good speech therapist.....and truly interview them re: their training in DYSFLUENCIES....and if they dont have alot of experience with that....to ask if they could help you find one with addtional training in that.

I live in MIchigan, so if you're nearby, let me know and I"ll give you the name of the therapist my son saw.

BEST WISHES!!

I am to the point now that I have been having suicidal thoughts even though I know I would never stoop to that level and end my life because of my situations. My parents are in denial about my situation which hurts because I would like my parents to be more educated on TS and Stuttering and could understand my situation by at least doing research to understand where I am comming from. Lately, I have had severe anxiety because of my stuttering and tourettes.

PS:

another thing to consider doing is finding a counselor to talk with, since your parents are in denial. I think having someone to share these thoughts/feelings with could help you decrease anxiety as well.

I'm glad you've found this board, and I hope you find support here ....!

PPS:

what's your degree in, and what line of work are you interviewing for?

congratulations on graduation :)

Hi again Letscope,

I didnt see this post (more about stuttering) and replied about my experience with my son with stuttering in your other thread.

From wathcing my son...I can definitely see how anxiety makes the stuttering worse (and tics as well, often). WHen it (the stuttering) was Really bad for him, he couldnt even get a single word out hardly.....

I can laugh about this now....but when he was about 5 years old, he and his 2 year old brother went out to play one spring (muddy) day.....my son (the stutterer) came running back to the house, all upset/excited.....trying and trying to tell me something....aughh.....all he could get out was "hey mom" (and that was a struggle)....but I could definitely tell something was very wrong and he was wanting my attention for something very important....

Followed him ouside to find the younger (2 year old) stuck standing in mud in the garden up to his knees !! !! ...couldnt get out!.....

It's a funny story now....but how sad/frustrating for my son not to be able to get any words out (except 'hey mom!") when he very much wanted to.

Another thing I found interesting...when he was in little league , he was always outfield, and they'd want him to yell out "got it" when he was planning on catching the ball.....but, for him.....his brain just wasnt capable of focusing on both SAYING that AND catching the ball at the same time.........obviously, there is some sort of wiring in the brain that involves him needing to FOCUS something to be able to get the words out.....and, when stressed or having to focus on something else....is very difficult.

He would be able to read/recite things without much stuttering...but to both have to think about WHAT he was going to say, PLUS say it, was much more difficult for him.

Anyhow, I dont see any mention of speech therapists in your thread/experiences trying to decrease stuttering........so that would be a suggestion from me...--> look for a good speech therapist.....and truly interview them re: their training in DYSFLUENCIES....and if they dont have alot of experience with that....to ask if they could help you find one with addtional training in that.

I live in MIchigan, so if you're nearby, let me know and I"ll give you the name of the therapist my son saw.

BEST WISHES!!

Hey Laurena82,

Sounds like a funny story. There are instances where I do look back and laugh at certain situations because stuttering and tics can be funny at times but is also a VERY serious matter. I have so many experiences of embarrassment because of my tics and stuttering. Here is a hilarious story(now that I look back on it). I was an athlete in hs and in college and I remember I had a vocal tic during hs and I would say "######" during practice out loud. Very, Very emarrassing, but now I look back on it and laugh. It was really difficult going through vocal tics because I was not as education on my situation as I am now. I remember I would speak on the phone with my aunt and say "nigger" and she would get mad at me lol. Just a couple quick instances I remember.

I am proud that you are getting your son the help early because I never really went to a speech therapist for sutttering until I was a JR in college. I heard that it is better to see a speech therapist when you are young so you can develop your proper speaking habits, but since I didnt go when I was younger,the therapy did not help too much. It helped somewhat but not enough to keep paying a huge amount of money for it. By the way, Im located in Dallas Tx.

I received a Bachelors in Business Administration focusing on managment. My dream job is to become a medical rep and go in to medical device sales. I do not have that great career yet so I will take anything right now in this bad economy. I also get extremely anxious during interviews and think interviewers are focusing on the way I speak verses what I am actually saying. I am really intellegent but feel as though they(employers) think I do not speak well for the jobs I have been applying for. O well, I will keep praying and hopefully something will come along soon.

-Letscope