ACN Latitudes Forums

Recipes - etc.

Evangelia

Hi Everyone,

I need recipes that work. Many of you have alot of sensitivities (maybe not as many as my son, but quite similar).

Following the IgG test, my son is sensitive to (are you ready!):

- amaranth - asparagus - banana - brocolli - brussel sprouts - buckwheat - cabbage - cantalope - cauliflower - celery - chili pepper - coconut - corn - egg (severe sensitivity) - grapefruit - lemon - lettuce - lime - milk (cow's and goat's) - onion - orange - sweet potato - white potato - quinoa - radish - tangerine - wheat - yam - zuchini.

I did a seperate gliadin/gluten anitbody test and his IgG ELISA test showed a very high positive score of 91! (A strong positive is anything over 30). His IgA ELISA test showed 11 (negative value). I am therefore eliminating all gluten also.

For the record, I also tested for celiac disease and thank God it was low - 4 units.

I am also eliminating all salicylates - and trying the amines. :wub:

I have always enjoyed challenges but this is incredible!

Claire, I tried your pancake recipe this morning, it was the best one that I have tried so far. Unfortunately, I had to use baking powder (but it has corn starch). You mentioned that you have a great concoction of arrowroot, baking soda, and cream of tarter. Can you tell me the ratios of each ingrediant and how much is used to substitue 1 tsp of baking powder? I decided to add ground flax seed to your recipe inorder to make it even more beneficial.

If any of you have any great cookie/muffin/snack recipes that don't fall apart and taste good, please add the recipe. Any recipe for breakfast or lunches would be great! Suppers are easier.

If you have any great recipe links on the web that you like, please add them.

I think this will be a great resource for many of us.

Thanks for your help!

Evangelia

Evangelia,

I highly recommend you try to obtain a copy of The Failsafe Cookbook by Sue Dengate. It has heaps of recipes for gluten free and low salicylates and amines and vegetarian.

www.fedupwithfoodadditives.info

I would like to give you some recipes out of it, but I'm not sure about the copyright thing.

Clare.

Hi, many large supermarket chains now have a organic food section that also contains alternative foods. You could find a ton of Rice and Soy drinks that could replace milk. The natural flavored ones are pretty tasty. There are also alot of grains that could be used for cooking and baking. We use millet for example. The good news is most of the products have their own recipes on the label. If you can not find them at your supermarket or at a local health food store, many of them also sell on line. I am sorry but I can not remember any names right now however, page 10 of this forum has alot of postings under something like milk and corn help/recipes.

Corn-Free Baking Powder: Makes 1 2/3 cups

1/3 cup of baking soda

2/3 cup of cream of tartar

2/3 cup arrowroot starch

Blend all ingredients together. Use in recipes calling for standard baking powder.

I filled a normal baking powder tin with this, so it is very easy to use. They say to keep it in the freezer (it doesn't freeze).

My favorite recipe book:

AiA gluten and dairy-free cookbook (AIA = autism international association or something)

It doesn't do the salicylates/amines, but it does: corn, milk, cheese, wheat/gluten, egg soy free alternatives. They basically have substittion choices for those. For example, we do use the soy.

Here is a cookie recipe I modified quite a bit from the recipe book. I wanted less sugar and more protein. For my son--it was sweet enough to work. Less protein powder, more sugar if you want it closer to the original.

Butterscotch cookies

GF flour mix:

1C brown rice or white rice flour

1/4 C potato starch flour

1/4 C tapioca flour

Makes 1.5 C gf flour mix. Save the extra

1 1/4 C gf flour mix

½ C vanilla rice protein powder

1 tsp baking powder –(can use corn-free)

1.5 tsp xantham gum (xantham gum is fermented in corn! aargh. can substitute with guar gum --but it is fibrous and gives a bit of a 'gas' reaction, so I use the xanthum gum)

5 oz Dairy-free margarine (we love ours, but it has soy in it)

1 C dark brown sugar

1 tsp vanilla

½ C pear puree (I use canned pears and puree myself without the juice)

Mix dry ingredients above

Mix remaining ingredients. I used my hands to blend—turns out like peanut butter cookie consistency.

Cookies, check after 9 minutes at 350 degrees. (we have a convection-bake oven so it may bake faster than yours)

Fried rice is good now that he can have egg occasionally. But without the egg--I never got it to taste right!

Claire

Thanks for the tips, everyone.

Claire, I didn't know that xanthum gum was fermented in corn.... and your son is still able to tolerate this being allergic to corn?

I appreciate the baking powder substitute as I have been feeling pretty guilty using real baking powder these days (due to corn sensitivity).

For egg substitution, I have found that 1 Tablespoon ground flax seed, in 2 Tablespoons hot water works very well in keeping cookies and pancakes together and you also get the added benefit of the flax. Let it sit for 10 minutes so that is gets gooey.

I will definitely try the cookies! thanks. I will also post some of my own recipes that I am creating along the way. I am at work now, so I will do this when I get home.

Evangelia

Cool!

I forgot to post this (my recipe, based on input from a friend who is a better cook than I am. He says the starches hold in the moisture).

Chicken nuggets

Chicken breast, cut into nugget size pieces, rinse so they are wet

roll in potato starch (I think the taste is better than rice starch)

season with seasoning salt (nothing artificial). Some don't do paprika due to salicylates I think, so find your favorite.

Fry in oil in a skillet.

Oh yes, we do this with halibut occasionally for 'fish and chips'. But no seasoning, just a wheat free/milk free tartar (some egg--not enough to both my son.

And yes, xanthum gum-- fermented in corn doesn't seem to be enough to bother my son.

Claire

Here is another link that is very informative regarding substitutes and gluten-free recipes:

---- http://www.gfrecipes.com

Thousands (and I mean thousands!) of vegetarian recipes here - I was able to pick up alot of recipes that suited my needs:

----http://home.teleport.com/~noelvn/vegan/recipie_links.html

Regarding Xanthan Gum, here is brief info from another site:

Xanthan gum is a binder that improves the quality of a gluten-free product. It prevents the cookies from spreading, helps with the crumbling problem, and improves elasticity.

Suggested Ratios

No xanthan gum is needed for pancakes or waffles, or when dusting meats.

Use ¾ teaspoon per cup of flour for muffins, biscuits, or scones.

Use 1 teaspoon per cup of flour for cookies, cakes, pie crust, and pizza dough.

Evangelia