ACN Latitudes Forums

Question about Prednisone and timing

My son (almost 11) will be going back on Prednisone tonight. His symptoms are in high gear again (he keeps telling me that he is going crazy - and is very miserable). This will be his third time on Prednisone since Feb. Dr. Latimer had originally scheduled him for IVIG on the 21st, but that is on hold right now (obviously).

My question is this.... I really can't remember how long it took to get some relief last time from the prednisone - any thoughts? He has a big baseball tournament this weekend and is hoping that he will be able to hold it together (he had to leave his 5th grade picnic today - something that he has looked forward to all year - 1.5 hours into the picnic. Heartbreaking to me...)

Thanks for any thoughts....

Sally

My son (almost 11) will be going back on Prednisone tonight. His symptoms are in high gear again (he keeps telling me that he is going crazy - and is very miserable). This will be his third time on Prednisone since Feb. Dr. Latimer had originally scheduled him for IVIG on the 21st, but that is on hold right now (obviously).

My question is this.... I really can't remember how long it took to get some relief last time from the prednisone - any thoughts? He has a big baseball tournament this weekend and is hoping that he will be able to hold it together (he had to leave his 5th grade picnic today - something that he has looked forward to all year - 1.5 hours into the picnic. Heartbreaking to me...)

Sally

Dear Sally--I am so sorry. The first time it took up to 2 and a half weeks and the second time it was within 2 or 3 days that we saw very good results. Each child is so different though--My d was 10 and then 11. Is he on antibiotics as well right now?

All the best--

My son graduated form 5th grade yesterday, he is also a baseball player (pretty serious one - wants to play MLB!). Anyhow - the end of the year there is sooo much stress on these kids, esspecially if they are playing baseball. Championship, and playoff games, - we have 4 in the next 7 days. School picnics, gaduation parties, etc..Last year my son was exacerbating (I didn't even know what that word was then..we just knew he had a non stop tic and was miserable) and he actually opted out of one of his playoff baseball games (we had an out since there was an all day field trip that day, and he would have arrived about 3 innings into the game). I was soo happy - and I think he was releived to. I was petrified they woudl put him on the mound and he would get hit with a line drive or something becuase of his ticcing. His coach last year was a real jerk, so that added to the stress. He's NEVER not wanted to play.

I would never pull my son from a game if he wanted to play - if makes it seem like a punishment - but if there is a way that he could choose an option and save face with his team and himself for not playing, some excuse he could use if he chose to, maybe he would take it. Its really a hard one becuase of the team. Can't let them down, don't want to get a bad rep for being unreliable...I've been there. I feel for you and your son.

Did you try advil to see if had any effect? Is his coach understanding? I would talk to him. The last thing you want is some guy yelling at him for dropping a ball or something. Good luck, I'll be thinking of you at our "tournament of champions" game tomorrow (as I watch my son re-check his shoe laces about 100 times).

Well, my kids have always had very rapid responses to the 3 day steroid burst (usually see a big difference within 24 hours or so). But I wanted to comment that our DAN practitioner said that the steroid has to be given in the morning to be effective. I did not know this the first time and I gave it at night. The response was there but there was no "wow!", ya know what I mean? The next time I gave it in the morning and the results are amazing!

He said that cortisol is highest in the body in the morning (around 9 am), so the steroid should be given when cortisol (natural steroid, I think) is highest. He said it's like jumping from a ladder rather than the ground, you are going to get much higher.

Hope that helps...

Stephanie

Sally