ACN Latitudes Forums

What does increased anxiety mean?

Is this typical even with antibiotics? An increase in anxiety all of a sudden:

crying, doesn't want to go to his last baseball game of season (says he scared of batting... after five months???)

says he hates baseball, always has

hates the coach, coach ruins every game for him

teammates are going to think he's wierd

phasmid - when we first discovered pandas, ds had an active strep infection. useless ped threw him on 5-day course of azith and stated, "you'll find the behaviors and the strep are not related". it was horrible -- similar to what you describe. he was better when off med. we found a new ped, who put him on 30-days of keflex and nystatin and in about 3 days he had 100% remission.

what does it mean? i don't know. could it have been a worse before better situation - herx reaction - and longer azith would have made things better? maybe. could he have had yeast that the azith made worse? perhaps. i don't know. could he for some reason react terribly to azith? i don't think i'll put him on it again.

sorry i don't have anything concrete to advise except we experienced the same. until recently, i credited the keflex with remission. was it the nystatin also?

how long is the script for azith? could you add nystatin? could you switch abx?

Not sure if this is helpful or not but my daughter had been on augmentin 875 2 x a day for 28 days and then was off to see if good effects would last. They did not and she was given dose of augmentin 500 2 x a day. after being on that for about 5 days she began to experience anxiety attacks about 2 hours after each dose that would last about an hour or so and then she would be fine until the next dose. We did go off at that time and she was put back on the higher dose (she did not experience the attacks then) however all the up and down and stress (we think) messed with her stomach and she had to go off all together at that point...but it was odd about the anxiety attacks that came after she took the dose. She later was put on Omnicef and had no issues with anxiety and dose. Maybe it is just how their bodies react to certain antibiotics. I don't know for sure and none of the doctors really had a thought on it.

Kay

Is this typical even with antibiotics? An increase in anxiety all of a sudden:

crying, doesn't want to go to his last baseball game of season (says he scared of batting... after five months???)

says he hates baseball, always has

hates the coach, coach ruins every game for him

teammates are going to think he's wierd

it may not be the right antibiotic for him.

we tried augmentin but ended up with infections in the ear & sinus even on a strong dose. we switched to omnicef and his mental condition deteriorated to the point that i was truly worried about his mental health. anxiety & rage coupled with major sadness and not wanting to do anything but play his DS in his room. then we switched to biaxin & had a HUGE improvement in 48 hours. i had heard about people seeing this miraculous improvement when they switched abx but i never dreamed it would happen for us. so maybe he would do better on an abx from a different family?