ACN Latitudes Forums

Tics and tonsilectomy

My daughter has been using MB12 cream for 4 months now to build up her immune system so that it can fight viral and bacterial infections. Since being on it, she has had strep 4 times even while on ABX. She hadn't shown (normal) signs of strep for about three years before this.

This is actually a good thing because her Dr. told us that the strep was colonized in her body and she is now fighting it and getting it out. He recommended she get her tonsils out (finally) but I am worried about doing this while she is ticcing. She started ticcing pretty bad about 10 days ago with this latest strep. He put her on Amox 500mg x3 daily for 30 days and her surgery is set up for June 24th right before the 30 days is up.

Should I postpone it for a couple of months and try to get her on a stronger antibiotic or should I go ahead with it and just request IV ABX during the surgery and a strong one for a few months afterward.

I am glad that they are finally getting the pitted permanently swollen things out of her throat but I do not want to make things worse for her by kicking something up. Any advice???

Melanie

My son's adenoids were chronically infected. The T&A did wonders and moved us miles forward on recovery. Immensely happy we did it. it allowed him to heal for the first time in a very very long time. It did not "cure" the Pandas - he still had exacerbations afterward due to "canary" exposures. But it got rid of a major source of our problems.

My daughter has been using MB12 cream for 4 months now to build up her immune system so that it can fight viral and bacterial infections. Since being on it, she has had strep 4 times even while on ABX. She hadn't shown (normal) signs of strep for about three years before this.

This is actually a good thing because her Dr. told us that the strep was colonized in her body and she is now fighting it and getting it out. He recommended she get her tonsils out (finally) but I am worried about doing this while she is ticcing. She started ticcing pretty bad about 10 days ago with this latest strep. He put her on Amox 500mg x3 daily for 30 days and her surgery is set up for June 24th right before the 30 days is up.

Should I postpone it for a couple of months and try to get her on a stronger antibiotic or should I go ahead with it and just request IV ABX during the surgery and a strong one for a few months afterward.

I am glad that they are finally getting the pitted permanently swollen things out of her throat but I do not want to make things worse for her by kicking something up. Any advice???

Melanie

I understand your concerns. I personally say go for it and get them things out of there. It really helped my son. He was on the end of his worst strep infection ever when he had them out and he was ticcing and was also in the throws of his sudden onset OCD. It helped him and everything slowly started improving.

Melanie

My son's T & A surgery gave us a year of improvements. He's been far less sick since he had them out. His behavior improved. He started sleeping in his own bed through the night for the first time ever (he was 9 at the time). It didn't cure him either, but definitely improved things.

My daughter's T&A produced her worse exacerbation, ever. But we didn't know we were dealing w/ PANDAS yet and didn't know the strep was intracelllar. She was on antibiotics prior (the wrong one, I think) and had a standard treatment course of amoxicillan afterward...but no abx treatment for several months after. So, I would recommend from our experience that you do as much as you can to eradicate the strep before hand and be sure to follow up with good abx after.

You may want to consider trying a different antibiotic as Amoxicillin can have up to a 25% failure rate with strep. A cephalosporin (keflex, omnicef) or Zithromax could be more effective. I would be careful about having her tonsils out with erradicating the strep first. Amoxicillin has a hard time erradicating strep sometimes. If her tonsils are cryptic and swollen it will be very beneficail to have them removed.

Colleen

You may want to consider trying a different antibiotic as Amoxicillin can have up to a 25% failure rate with strep. A cephalosporin (keflex, omnicef) or Zithromax could be more effective. I would be careful about having her tonsils out with erradicating the strep first. Amoxicillin has a hard time erradicating strep sometimes. If her tonsils are cryptic and swollen it will be very beneficail to have them removed.

Colleen

Good point. My son's last strep infection coincided with a dual ear infection & a horrible sinus infection so we did a strong course of azith 2 weeks before the surgery so that probably helped.

My son had ugly, large, cryptic tonsils. We did not take them out until he was 7 years old because they never really got infected until then (he was always on strong ABX for sinusitis).

At age 6 1/2 they tried to do a PH probe to check for reflux. That is when they put a wire down the esophogus into the stomach to measure how much acid backs up from the stomach to the esophagus. My son was awake when they put this in and he was supposed to "swallow" the wire as they fed it through his nose. They could not get the probe down past his tonsils because his tonsils were so large and he was gagging and fighting. After a horrible 10 minutes of trying, they stopped the procedure. My son went on to have the WORST PANDAS exacerbation of his life over the next 4 weeks. In retrospect, I truly believe that he was harboring strep in his tonsils and it was somehow dislodged during the procedure.

We knew very little about PANDAS at the time. We finally took him off ABX thinking that the ABX may have been one cause of his mental health problems. When we took him off, his tonsils turned white. We knew enough about PANDAS to know they should be removed.

He had was on augmentin before and after the tonsillectomy, which probably helped with the process.

WE had NO PANDAS symptoms after the surgery and he really had 3 good years after the tonsillectomy with only 1 or 2 sinus infections/ PANDAS flair ups. They were truly the best years of his life and that is what I am hoping to regain with our current treatments - as he is having sinus surgery next week.

Edited by kimballot

Our son had his tonsils and adenoids out April 1 (fitting day). After the surgery, the surgeon said his tonsils were severely inflamed and much larger than he had expected. He said they were so big, we needed to consider that he was recovering from a major surgery vs just a minor surgery. Prior to the procedure, no exam by anyone had ever resulted in the comment that our son had enlarged and infected tonsils. I am still trying to figure out why no one noticed. Anyway, things have been fantastic since the surgery. I would do it all over again in a heartbeat.

Prior to surgery, he was on 1,500 mg of keflex a day. 7 days before the surgery, we switched to a different antibiotic (can't remember the name, but recommended by others on this site prior to T&A).

For our son, T&A was a good choice.

Thanks ladies,

I think I am going to wait till a couple of days before the surgery and just see how she is doing. Her Tics do seem to be better. Her headaches and stomachaches have gone away and she has had these for about two weeks before her throat started hurting.

I thought I had her stomachaches narrowed down to lactose intolerance thinking that we had killed all of her good bacteria with ABX but when we started giving her the amox they went away. I guess it was just the strep.

I am so thankful for my Dr. putting her on the MB12 cream. It is changing Brit's life for the better but the process of taking everything out of her body that has been flooding in there for the past few years is hard on her. I am actually seeing her body fight things normally instead of just making her tic. She even got tired and slept this past week when she was sick. That is unheard of in our house. She is usually still up running around even with a temp of 104.

The three times before this one that she had strep since starting treating her for PANDAS with ABX her tics haven't picked up. This last time must have been a nasty bug because they were overnight.

The only thing that I don't like is that he doesn't believe in long term ABX. Maybe I need to bring him more info. He has been treating viral stuff for years but just started treating the bacterial side of things.