ACN Latitudes Forums

Can Impetigo cause first symptoms of PANDAS?

Hello! I have been combing through my boys medical records in preparation of our first visit with Dr. R in Dallas next week. My DS7 had a case of strep in June 2006 and Impetigo in May 2008. Sometime shortly after the Impetigo case in May his first tic started (eye blinking). Of course we were only told to treat the Impetigo with Neosporin and it did go away eventually, but it was obviously not treated with any prescription Antibiotics. His next confirmed strep was in Fall of 2008 and then he had a series of 4 strep infections between January and July of 2009. The eye blinking of course turned into mouth stretching, then body tics, etc. The sudden onset OCD did not come until his last strep case in July 2009. Could the Impetigo have started all this crazy stuff?

Hello! I have been combing through my boys medical records in preparation of our first visit with Dr. R in Dallas next week. My DS7 had a case of strep in June 2006 and Impetigo in May 2008. Sometime shortly after the Impetigo case in May his first tic started (eye blinking). Of course we were only told to treat the Impetigo with Neosporin and it did go away eventually, but it was obviously not treated with any prescription Antibiotics. His next confirmed strep was in Fall of 2008 and then he had a series of 4 strep infections between January and July of 2009. The eye blinking of course turned into mouth stretching, then body tics, etc. The sudden onset OCD did not come until his last strep case in July 2009. Could the Impetigo have started all this crazy stuff?

My had the eye-blinking as his very first symptom (I think), but we did not think anything of it at that time, as it came and went on its own. Only now looking back are we putting it all together. The OCD started only after a very bad flu (possibly with strep mixed in?), and now that we finally know what it is I can tell you yes, impetigo can cause all this. After diagnosis, my son has had several exacerbations, and one of them was clearly tied to his sister having impetigo. It was just as bad as when he was exposed to strep throat. So, I don't know about it being "what started all this crazy stuff", but it definitely can add to whatever strep load your son already had.

According to our pediatrician, most young kids get impetigo from strep. In our case, impetigo caused the worst pandas episode yet in my ds2...

Stephanie

My younger daughter had impetigo & just a few weeks later my PANDAS daughter relapsed after nearly a year of being free of strep & PANDAS symptoms. I blame our current situation of exacerbation of PANDAS on that skin infection-just too coincidental.

Amy

Wow. I am just speechless thinking about this darn impetigo. I want to say that my son is genetically predisposed to post strep disorders anyway and it may have started after any one of his many strep throat infections, but this damn bout of impetigo NOT being treated with Antibiotic has really got me fit to be tied. Oh well. Can't turn back the clocks now, can only move forward and hope for the best!