ACN Latitudes Forums

Strep Thermophilus info

Info I just received from Dr. T - just thought I would pass it along.....

Since we last spoke, I've been reading about Strep Thermophilus (ST). This is a strep which is thought to be very benign. In fact, it's one of two bacteria used in the commercial production of yogurts and cheeses, including most of the ones favored by kids. Pretty much all dairy other than milk itself. Thermophilus survives the pasteurization process.

Since most of us ingest lots of ST and seem to be no worse from it, it's undoubtedly benign to most everyone. But I would be cautious in a child with PANDAS or suspected PANDAS. If your son is a big yogurt and cheese eater you may want to see if there is some improvement of behavior with elimination of those from the diet. Milk and ice cream are OK (but maybe not frozen yogurt). Pizza is OK as well even though mozzarella cheese has ST as the high temperatures used to bake the pizza kill all bacteria. Just a thought - parents are always wondering about diet and behavior - for once here's a semi-rational reason to modify the diet.

Interesting...I think the jury is still out on this one. Our DAN practitioner does not think that s. thermophilus is an issue, but I feel like i notice some more tic-y behavior after my son eats his soy yogurt these days. I am still trying to see a definite pattern. After reading this, I am regretting that I put yogurt in his lunch box for gymnastics camp today :)

Since we last spoke, I've been reading about Strep Thermophilus (ST). This is a strep which is thought to be very benign. In fact, it's one of two bacteria used in the commercial production of yogurts and cheeses, including most of the ones favored by kids. Pretty much all dairy other than milk itself. Thermophilus survives the pasteurization process.

Since most of us ingest lots of ST and seem to be no worse from it, it's undoubtedly benign to most everyone. But I would be cautious in a child with PANDAS or suspected PANDAS. If your son is a big yogurt and cheese eater you may want to see if there is some improvement of behavior with elimination of those from the diet. Milk and ice cream are OK (but maybe not frozen yogurt). Pizza is OK as well even though mozzarella cheese has ST as the high temperatures used to bake the pizza kill all bacteria. Just a thought - parents are always wondering about diet and behavior - for once here's a semi-rational reason to modify the diet.

I wonder if it could be the soy? Soy, and all fermented products, were on the "no no" list of foods when we were seeing a doc the first time my son had symptoms. His reasoning is that if a child has yeast problem (not saying yours does) any fermented product contains the byproducts of fermentation, and could cause a problem. I dunno.... just a thought.

an issue, but I feel like i notice some more tic-y behavior after my son eats his soy yogurt these days.

That is interesting. Does Dr T say to stay away from it?

I was giving my children Megaflora probiotics, as my physician who is also trained in homeopathy, says it is the best, BUT I stoped using it when I saw that it contained strep terimophilus b/c I didn't want to give them anything with the DREADED strep name it in, even though I figured it was probably ok.

Colleen

Not to mention, soy can have an opiate effect on the brain which can increase tics :wacko: However, my kids are on a lot of dietary restrictions and I have a hard time getting calcium into their little bodies! So I make the exceptioin with soy yogurt. I don't know maybe I should try cultured coconut yogurt (still has the strep in it but not soy). It's so darn expensive, though!!

I wonder if it could be the soy? Soy, and all fermented products, were on the "no no" list of foods when we were seeing a doc the first time my son had symptoms. His reasoning is that if a child has yeast problem (not saying yours does) any fermented product contains the byproducts of fermentation, and could cause a problem. I dunno.... just a thought.

an issue, but I feel like i notice some more tic-y behavior after my son eats his soy yogurt these days.

Hi Stephanie

I know u r into the DAN protocol like we are. I look at your posts a a lot and have run some of the same tests on my son that u have. Did u ever get them allergy tested? I never did and went with the whole "oh your kid has autism so u need to be on gf/cf diet. It wasn't until being gf/cf that I ran an igg food intolerance test on ds and found soy, egg, peanut. Of course gluten and dairy didnt show up cuz he was off of it for a long time. At the time I was seeing a naturopath and he told me to eliminate the additional foods. Ugh! So I did but when I finally got into see dr usmanshe wanted egg and peanut for good fats back in his diet.

But no soy! If we cheat with soy it's only occasionally. You r right about the opiate effect.

One of her associates told me not to sweat the calcium either. Ds takes a cal/mag supp and he'll get some from different foods.

What does your Dan say about calcium and soy?

Ann

Not to mention, soy can have an opiate effect on the brain which can increase tics :wacko: However, my kids are on a lot of dietary restrictions and I have a hard time getting calcium into their little bodies! So I make the exceptioin with soy yogurt. I don't know maybe I should try cultured coconut yogurt (still has the strep in it but not soy). It's so darn expensive, though!!

That is interesting. Does Dr T say to stay away from it?

I was giving my children Megaflora probiotics, as my physician who is also trained in homeopathy, says it is the best, BUT I stoped using it when I saw that it contained strep terimophilus b/c I didn't want to give them anything with the DREADED strep name it in, even though I figured it was probably ok.

Colleen

Yes he does...I found one at Whole Foods that does not have the strep T in it...it is called Flora bears.

Stephanie and i are currently using the same doc...

i asked the same questions...hes not concerned about s.therm...but i don't give...(just in case and there are other options) so i don't give yogurt..

i let ds have pizza once a week...i try to avoid soy

i asked about calcium and my concerns and giving a cal/mag vitamin

i believe he said calcima can have a stimulating effect and just give mag....

i belive i asked about lack of calcium and he said not to worry about that right now...i think...

i think i am like the rest here...i ask questions....i write down as fast as i can...and some i think i'll just remember but the details then escape me

SO MUCH INFORMATION......plus i'm gonna pull the ...i 2 other kids 7 and 3...and i dont remember if i ate today

I never really asked our DAN about calcium but I guess fixit did. I just worry about that stuff, my degree is in nutrition ^_^

Yes we did IgG food allergy test and my son (5) was allergic to all the regulars (soy, wheat, eggs, etc.). My 2 yo was not allergic to anything.

Honestly I'm tired of the GFCF diet and waiting for Scott to give me the go-ahead to quit (or maybe I'll just quit without the go-ahead... :ph34r: ).

I read that Jenny McCarthy puts Kale and stuff into the food processor with an apple and then she puts the mixture into a syringe and sticks it into her son's mouth to get the calcium in. I'm tempted. I could get away with it with ds2, but NO WAY with ds5! He would probably run away from home!!

Stephanie

i asked the same questions...hes not concerned about s.therm...but i don't give...(just in case and there are other options) so i don't give yogurt..

i belive i asked about lack of calcium and he said not to worry about that right now...i think...

i think i am like the rest here...i ask questions....i write down as fast as i can...and some i think i'll just remember but the details then escape me

SO MUCH INFORMATION......plus i'm gonna pull the ...i 2 other kids 7 and 3...and i dont remember if i ate today

Our probiotic has this in it (as do most probiotics). Does Dr. T recommend eliminating Strep Thermophilus entirely? I have read on this and from my research in theory it shouldn't be a problem, but it is a possibility.

Here is his link that explains his thoughts on this subject http://pandas.yuku.com/topic/136/t/Strep-T...e-thoughts.html

also here is the link for Flora Bears or you can get at whole foods http://www.renewlife.com/florabear.html

I feel your pain. I hate the diet too. My son just celebrated 3 years on it. Being a nutritionist maybe you can answer this. One of my first questions when we go for IVIG with Dr K next week is "WHEN THE ###### CAN I GET MY KID OFF THIS STINKIN' DIET?" Probably shouldnt be at the top of my list for concerns but I am having a hard time figuring out the whole IGG repsonse. If my kid gets IVIG and it works, does that mean he will be able to eat the foods he once had negative behaviors with? I am in no way in a hurry to overload his system but I am curious. Do you know??

How long have your kids been on the diet?

Thanks

I never really asked our DAN about calcium but I guess fixit did. I just worry about that stuff, my degree is in nutrition ^_^

Yes we did IgG food allergy test and my son (5) was allergic to all the regulars (soy, wheat, eggs, etc.). My 2 yo was not allergic to anything.

Honestly I'm tired of the GFCF diet and waiting for Scott to give me the go-ahead to quit (or maybe I'll just quit without the go-ahead... ;) ).

I read that Jenny McCarthy puts Kale and stuff into the food processor with an apple and then she puts the mixture into a syringe and sticks it into her son's mouth to get the calcium in. I'm tempted. I could get away with it with ds2, but NO WAY with ds5! He would probably run away from home!!

Stephanie

My kids have been on the diet for 1.5 years. Scott, our DAN practitioner, says that I should keep them on the diet until they have had no gastrointestinal problems for at least a year (I assume he means when their gut is healed and is no longer "leaky"). I don't know anything about IVIG and how it affects IgG food allergies. I would think it would help over time. I do know that one girl on the autism forums (Cristal) said that her son lost 21 food allergies by doing LDN (which I think works similar to IVIG).

Stephanie

I feel your pain. I hate the diet too. My son just celebrated 3 years on it. Being a nutritionist maybe you can answer this. One of my first questions when we go for IVIG with Dr K next week is "WHEN THE ###### CAN I GET MY KID OFF THIS STINKIN' DIET?" Probably shouldnt be at the top of my list for concerns but I am having a hard time figuring out the whole IGG repsonse. If my kid gets IVIG and it works, does that mean he will be able to eat the foods he once had negative behaviors with? I am in no way in a hurry to overload his system but I am curious. Do you know??

How long have your kids been on the diet?

Thanks

Honestly I'm tired of the GFCF diet and waiting for Scott to give me the go-ahead to quit (or maybe I'll just quit without the go-ahead... :huh: ).

Stephanie