ACN Latitudes Forums

Additional vitamins to take?

my DS (8) has been on azith for almost 3 weeks - some things have been improving but I have seen in various threads other parents that have their children on extra vitamins, advil, herbs etc.

What would others out there recommend putting their child on in addition to the abx and what have you found helpful and for what symptoms?

we are still contending with tics and some OCD...

Thanks!

Magnesium -- good for calming and I also hear good for tics

Curcumin -- good anti-inflammatory assistance

NAC -- good for OCD

Inositol -- good for mood and OCD

Omega 3/Fish Oil/Flaxseed Oil -- good anti-inflammatory assistance

D3 -- mood, anti-inflammatory, etc.

B-Complex -- mood, focus

Melatonin -- sleep

Valerian Root (as needed) -- calming

Magnesium -- good for calming and I also hear good for tics

Curcumin -- good anti-inflammatory assistance

NAC -- good for OCD

Inositol -- good for mood and OCD

Omega 3/Fish Oil/Flaxseed Oil -- good anti-inflammatory assistance

D3 -- mood, anti-inflammatory, etc.

B-Complex -- mood, focus

Melatonin -- sleep

Valerian Root (as needed) -- calming

thanks for the info! How do you know what dose to give?

Our DS13 is "adult sized," for all practical purposes: 135 pounds. So we know that, as a general rule, any adult-appropriate dose is okay for him.

With the NAC and inositol, though, it is advised that you start low and build up. So we started with 500 mg. of each of those and worked up to 1,000 mg.

Also, with the Omega 3's, I think the recommended dose is 1,000 mg. daily, but we know it's important for anti-inflammatory purposes, so we go strong with that and give 2,000 mg. per day. Same with Vitamin D3.

I'm not aware of any recommended dosage, necessarily, for curcumin, but we hit that with 1,000 mg. per day, also: once in the morning, and again at night.

Melatonin: 3 mg. about a 1/2-hour before bed puts him to sleep quickly and solidly.

I didn't mention it before because you'd specifically asked about vitamins, but we also go big with probiotics: between 150 and 200 billion units per day. DS needs them because the antibiotics do affect his gut, plus we understand that they also can promote anti-inflammation and nutrient absorption.

Similar to MomwithOCDSon, we use:

(10 year old, 75 lb. child)

1000 mg vitamin D3

1000 mg omega 3

500 mg vit. C

and probiotics (at least 2 PEARLS and/or 1 to 2 cups of Good Belly probiotic drink a day.)

Do you plan to continue on the azithro until your child is back to 100% or do you have a timeline to stop?

Similar to MomwithOCDSon, we use:

(10 year old, 75 lb. child)

1000 mg vitamin D3

1000 mg omega 3

500 mg vit. C

and probiotics (at least 2 PEARLS and/or 1 to 2 cups of Good Belly probiotic drink a day.)

Do you plan to continue on the azithro until your child is back to 100% or do you have a timeline to stop?

My son is 8 and weighs 60 lbs so I may go just under what you are doing....are the vitamins in addition to a daily multi?

We are on our 3rd week of zith and supposed to talk to Dr. T this week. If he has significant improvements then we are supposed to go to maintenance abx for the next year...if no further changes then I think he is going to switch him to Augmentin for a while since he is fighting two infections (strep and mycoP). Dr. T wasn't sure if the azyth would take care of both.

tygertoo--yes, we also give a multi vitamin as well.

I will also mention that for months we were giving 1000mg of omega via fish oil capsules. Last couple of months we switched to Omega 3 in Flaxseed capsules and it seems to be better--(at least it seems to me it seems to be:)

I thought the omega 3 in fishoil may be increasing the tics some--

I think Kefir really helped for awhile as well, but then she refused to drink it--though I tried to diguise it in milkshakes.

Encourage eating yogurt. We steer clear of unnatural foods as much as possible--

I push the berries, banana, turkey, simple real foods, probiotic good belly fruit juice, natural fresh fruits and vegetables, lean meats, etc.

(NO MSG, no high fructose corn syrup or artificial sweetners, etc. etc.)

All the best to you--

Edited by T.Mom

My ds(10) is on zithromax also and takes the following:

probiotics - twice a day. Mind Linx brand (dairy free)

S. Boulardii (good yeast)

Vit C & D - immune system

B-6 - tics, anxiety, helps absorb Magnesium

Magnesium - tics, anxiety

Enzymes - twice daily

MB12 - focus, energy

Folinic Acid - help absorb MB12

Zinc - for low zinc levels

This is what we do for now but we have an appt next week with an immunologist to review labwork so this list may change somewhat.

my DS (8) has been on azith for almost 3 weeks - some things have been improving but I have seen in various threads other parents that have their children on extra vitamins, advil, herbs etc.

What would others out there recommend putting their child on in addition to the abx and what have you found helpful and for what symptoms?

Thanks!

My sons are on many of the same supplements as these other posters and then some (they both have ASD issues). But I did want to mention that we have had really great success with the following probiotic: www.customprobiotics.com (d-lactate free formula). Each of my boys (ages 2 and 5) get 200 billion cfu's in the am and 200 in the pm (1-2 hours away from abx).

Stephanie

My ds(10) is on zithromax also and takes the following:

probiotics - twice a day. Mind Linx brand (dairy free)

S. Boulardii (good yeast)

Vit C & D - immune system

B-6 - tics, anxiety, helps absorb Magnesium

Magnesium - tics, anxiety

Enzymes - twice daily

MB12 - focus, energy

Folinic Acid - help absorb MB12

Zinc - for low zinc levels

This is what we do for now but we have an appt next week with an immunologist to review labwork so this list may change somewhat.

Thanks!

A lot of people have a lot to say about this but you really need to research it yourself and please be sure to see if it is contraindicated with everything else.

Thanks everyone! - yes it is a bit overwhelming...I don't want to give him too much either. I have him on a multi vit; probiotic from Whole Foods (100b) and omega 3 (just standard dose). I will follow up with Dr. T and maybe his Ped to get an idea of what else to put him on...

We do eat mostly organic and very little processsed foods (very very little things with food coloring) - it does help b/c when I slack a bit my son definately tics etc more.....

-Karen

I definitely agree with this. We have done extensive testing, blood, stool and urine, to have a better understanding of my son's deficiencies/needs. All of our supplement use is guided through our dr.

I recommend the book by Kenneth Bock, "Healing the Childhood Epidemics: Autism, ADHD, Asthma, and Allergies: The Groundbreaking Program for the 4-A Disorders". It was very helpful as I was trying to figure out what direction we needed to go in. I would take it to my son's dr's appt and reference parts of it to our dr. He would then help me decide if the particular test or supplement was needed for my son.

A lot of people have a lot to say about this but you really need to research it yourself and please be sure to see if it is contraindicated with everything else.

I definitely agree with this. We have done extensive testing, blood, stool and urine, to have a better understanding of my son's deficiencies/needs. All of our supplement use is guided through our dr.

I recommend the book by Kenneth Bock, "Healing the Childhood Epidemics: Autism, ADHD, Asthma, and Allergies: The Groundbreaking Program for the 4-A Disorders". It was very helpful as I was trying to figure out what direction we needed to go in. I would take it to my son's dr's appt and reference parts of it to our dr. He would then help me decide if the particular test or supplement was needed for my son.

i was just going to recommend the same book. he gives information about what supps help & why, plus dosing recommendations.

we've had great luck with the Bontech Supplements, which are a blend of stuff and were created to help with TS & OCD, but the main ingredients are magnesium, taurine, & B vitamins. DS also takes fish oil, a high dose probiotic, inositol, SamE, & curcumin.

We also switched to an alternative to omega 3 fish oil capsules - they were causing my sone to chew incessantly on his clothes. Once we took him off, he stopped chewing, but when he had his sudden onset of PANDAS last summer he started chewing again. I recently discovered DHA Omega 3 from Algae (contains no fish oil) by Thorne Research, and this seems to be fine.

Also, I didn't see anyone else mention glutathione. This is an antioxidant and my son tested deficient on it. It's important for detoxification and the immune system.

I will also mention that for months we were giving 1000mg of omega via fish oil capsules. Last couple of months we switched to Omega 3 in Flaxseed capsules and it seems to be better--(at least it seems to me it seems to be:)

I thought the omega 3 in fishoil may be increasing the tics some--