ACN Latitudes Forums

Chlorine and Tics

My daughter has always ticced after being in swimming pools. I know that there have been topics on chlorine causing this but has anyone had a Dr. tell them a medical reason for this happening? If so what is it and will it last forever or does it get better as they heal from PANDAS?

I hate that my baby can't swim and I want to know if she will ever be able to go swimming with her friends when they ask.

Melanie

Hi

this doesnt just happen with PANDAS kids.

many kids who have tics for varied reasons, and especially kids with Tourette tics, find that tics increase after chlorine exposure

my son experienced this as a major tic trigger, and eventually showed hives immediately after getting into chlorinated water (even the shower!!)

our Integrative doctor explained that it was likely Multiple Chemical Sensitivity as he reacts to perfumes and any chemical exposure similarly. MCS is an immune issue with hypersensitive reaction, and is sometimes called an allergy as well. It may also explain my son's extreme sensitivity to all chemical food additives and prescription ie chemical medications

not sure if this is what is also happening for PANDAS kids when exposed to chlorine, but I would suspect it is the "hyper" immune system reacting as well

Edited by Chemar

• 2 weeks later...

My son had increased tics after swimming when he was having an episode and I asked about it on this forum last summer. Someone recommended epson salt baths after swimming (about 1 cup salt in the bath). This helped. I think someone also said they bring a spray bottle to the pool and spray their child with an epson salt solution after they swim. We even do the epson salt baths when it just seems like symptoms are increased a bit.

My daughter has always ticced after being in swimming pools. I know that there have been topics on chlorine causing this but has anyone had a Dr. tell them a medical reason for this happening? If so what is it and will it last forever or does it get better as they heal from PANDAS?

I hate that my baby can't swim and I want to know if she will ever be able to go swimming with her friends when they ask.

Melanie

My dd takes swim lessons twice per week year around since she's healed from pandas episode. She had IVIg 19 months ago so she's been in lessons about a year I think. She does not have any issues with chlorine.

However, I do not think she has ever had any tics with chlorine. I think there was one time of increased OCD that I associated with swimming/chlorine.

I have read on here that some have increased tics, so I always look for it with chlorine but she doesn't appear to have any.

Good luck!