ACN Latitudes Forums

How long it takes for abs to show improvement?

After checking my DS8 for titers and discovered DNASE >1360 we started giving him augmentin. After 3 days he started having some improvement and I was full of hope that we are on the right way.

Today, again, he had a bad day with his tics. When I come to pick him up from school his tics were already pretty bad. Then I discovered that he didn't eat anything during the day.(and actually he barely had breakfast)

I read that hunger could be one of the triggers for tics.

Can anyone tell me how long it took to your PANDAS kids to show some improvement from the abs?

I tell my daughter's teacher to keep her fed- a snack @ every 1/2 hour seems to help a lot- my daughter rages instead of ticcing, but I think the principle is the same.

But, why is he not eating? Is that PANDAS related, or is the abx causing tummy problems? Augmentin ALWAYS causes tummy problems for my daughter (some really awful gassiness as evidence of that!).

Deby --

If you saw some noticable improvement in the first 3 days, it seems possible that you already have the right abx. We've had the same results every time we've gone off and then back on the abx: substantial improvement for the first few days, followed by a period of plateuing and sometimes even some backsliding, and then back to slow improvement. Try using Buster's charting system or one of your own for tracking some of your DS's most noticable behaviors. If his results are similar to ours, they will sort of "switch on and off" in terms of one improving significantly for a while, then slowing down while another one improves, etc.

As for the eating, I would agree that it can really impact. I don't know if it is a drop in blood sugar or what, but DS is at his worst when he's hungry. If your DS is reluctant to eat, I would investigate with him a bit. Is it because his tummy is troubling him? Or because he has some OCD compulsion to avoid foods because of messiness, smell or texture? If it's his belly, maybe step up the probiotics and/or even consider trying bentonite clay, which we've found to aid dramatic improvement. If it is OCD, then some ERP therapy will help set that aside before it can become an even bigger issue.

Thank you dear friends for you advise. I was hoping that I will see improvement faster,but I guess the reality is that it takes long time.

I don't know why my DS8 is not eating at school, food that he used to like, it doesn't like any more.

He wants to get out from the class ASAP to release his tics.Many things could be.

My daughter also has trouble eating at school and when she comes home hungry (or whenever she hasn't eaten well) she also rages.

For her, she ends up avoiding eating at school because she thinks somehow the food got contaminated. For example, she has a fear of hospitals and anyone or anything that has been in one. A boy in the school just broke his femur bone and is now in a wheelchair. He went past her in the hall while she was carrying her lunch. Knowing he was recently at the hospital, she would not eat anything from her lunchbag...

Thankfully, since she has been on the abx, she is able to get over the fear and the raging much more quickly than in the past.

Kara

Thank you dear friends for you advise. I was hoping that I will see improvement faster,but I guess the reality is that it takes long time.

I don't know why my DS8 is not eating at school, food that he used to like, it doesn't like any more.

He wants to get out from the class ASAP to release his tics.Many things could be.

After checking my DS8 for titers and discovered DNASE >1360 we started giving him augmentin. After 3 days he started having some improvement and I was full of hope that we are on the right way.

Today, again, he had a bad day with his tics. When I come to pick him up from school his tics were already pretty bad. Then I discovered that he didn't eat anything during the day.(and actually he barely had breakfast)

I read that hunger could be one of the triggers for tics.

Can anyone tell me how long it took to your PANDAS kids to show some improvement from the abs?

Deby -

I have been following your posts and I am wondering about your son's allergies and infection. You went to the allergist a few days ago, but I am not sure what the outcome was. I may have missed that if you posted it. Did you find allergies for your son? Why did you decide to go to the allergist in the first place - was it because you thought allergies might be causing the tics, or were there other allergic sings?

I am also wondering about the elevated DANASEB - do you have any idea where the infection may be coming from?

I am asking you all of this because there are many reasons why kids don't eat when they are sick. Many of the kids on this forim do not eat due to fears around food - like fears of choking or obsessions about getting fat. My son does not have those issues, but he does complain of food not tasting right when he has a sinus infection or when his allergies are very bad.

Are you doing any allergy medications or ibuprofen (to reduce inflammation) in addition to the abx?