ACN Latitudes Forums

Yeast and TS

HS_83

Hi,

I was wondering if anyone knows anything about the possible connection between yeast and ts. I have been reading up on this and was wondering if any1 has used a yeast-free diet and whether it has improved tics???

ALso, i have read that Nystatin kills yeast already present but this is a prescription drug. Would you jus go to the doctor and ask for it? What would you say? I dont think saying that you have heard it improves tics so can u prescribe it would be sufficient lol. I am from the uk and hardly any1 knows about the condition.

ALso, i have looked for yeast free diets without success and can not afford to buy books relating to this. SO if any1 knows of any sites or can provide yeast free diets that would be most appreciated. It is difficult to know where to start but i hope i can put together all the info to take the stress off my gf. (i guess removing artificial colours preservatives would be wise too?)

It is my gf who has ts and i am hopeful that her condition will improve.

Kindest regards

HS

Hi and welcome

the yeast that makes tics worse is CANDIDA infection and it is very different from the yeast you find in bread and cakes etc

I recently wrote about the difference here

http://www.latitudes.org/forums/index.php?...p?showtopic=832

Candida "yeast" infection is best treated by a special diet and we used an inexpensive supplement called CAPRYLATE(caprylic acid)

Yeast thrives on sugars and so anything that increases sugars, including refined carbohydrates(starches) are best avoided when eliminating Candida.

Most people usually have blood and/or stool tests to determine whether they have it....it is very widespread and many people dont even realise that is what is making them ill...our modern day diets are such that they help yeast thrive.

a simple test to see if Candida yeast infection may be a problem is to spit into a glass of water. If the saliva is thready and floats, it is often an indicator of an intestinal yeast infection

There are some very inexpensive books in paperback that are very helpful with diet to eliminate candida....my favorite is

THE YEAST SYNDROME by John Trowbridge & Morton Walker

Hi HS,

My son is one for whom treating an overgrowth of yeast (and clostridia) made a huge difference. Since we began to eliminate these overgrowths, his tics have mostly disappeared. (Once in a while, I see something that could be called a tic, but they are nothing like before.) He has had many lab reports that show a gradual lowering of metabolites from yeast at the same time that his tics lessened and lessened! We have been working on this for a few years now. The last report from this summer showed a small amount of elevated metabolites from yeast, but it is apparently not enough to exascerbate tics.

We used nystatin (from a doctor's prescription), some homeopathic drops from pleomorphic, and now oregano oil. Yeast is incredibly stubborn. It takes a long time to bring an overgrowth into balance. I hope that your gf can get help from a doctor.....I know we would not have been able to get so far without the help of our environmental (holistic) doctor. Also, can you get any books from the library that you want regarding yeast? In the US, there is also a chain of stores (The Vitamin Shoppe) that has a lending library for customers. Maybe there is something similar where you are?

Finally, have you seen this: http://www.nutritioninstitute.com/Tourette...s_Syndrome.html

Capryllic acid is also good for yeast. Supposedly can be as effective as nystatin, and it is sold over the counter. Avoid sugars, refined carbs, molds and vinegars, and active yeast (the kind in most breads)

There must be library books on this? If not, there are a ton of candidias sites out there will full diet plans.

What does gf mean?

Claire

For everyone who has tried nystatin and natural remedies...would you recommend I give Kurt nystatin or go with the grape seed extract etc. Since Kurt is on antibiotics I am quite anxious to make sure yeast is not a problem. I am pretty sure my family doctor will give me a prescription for nystatin.

Ronna

Hi Ronna,

Our DAN doctor said that both capryllic acid and nystatin stayed in the gastrointestinal system and thus were very 'safe'. If Great Smokies can get a culture of the yeast, they actually test to see which is more effective for it. Unfortunately ours didn't culture.

I read that Nystatin without diet change didn't do much--the only one that claims less diet change is needed is Threelac--but ufortunately, it doesn't have any studies published for yeast. Some positive study on allergy impact though.

I tried capryllic acid--for my son and I, it made us both nauseous. But that is personal experience. I am now trying the Threelac that Heather found so successful--it too is ordered over the counter. It has been about a month. I won't know what it did until after my next test in another month.

My son is on Nystatin. But again, no follow-up tests yet.

Phyl has mentioned oregano oil and I have read that is very powerful.

I feel it is trial and error.

I would be very paranoid about making the yeast worse with the antibiotics--though I am like you and would absolutely do the antibiotics under certain circumstances given my son's past reaction to tonsilitis (fears). Though now I wonder if in part it was the pyroluria acting up during the illness. In any case, the antibiotics cured the fears 3 different times.

I would probably make sure I did the probiotics 2 hours after the dose of antibiotics, 2x/day (as my doctor had me do with my son when he was on antibiotics once. Plus the oxygen/amino acid drops in the water. Plus avoidance of sugar during the round of antibiotics. I don't have the data to recommend which one to try first, but I might go with nystatin for my son first. I feel that it may be making a difference. My son is allergic to the Brewers Yeast in the Threelac, so that one would be my second choice for him. For me, I am trying the Threelac before the nystatin--I convince our doctor that I wanted to go this route first--of course no prescription is needed.

There really isn't a right or wrong on this one. I think you will find which one your son tolerates best and responds to best. I have 5 books on yeast and anti-fungals and spoke to a woman at Great Plains in the lab and have never gotten any consensus on which antifungal. They almost all agree on diet though.

Sorry I don't have a true recommendation, more of a thought process. Like Phyl, I know how tough yeast is!

Claire

efgh,

Our doctor prescribed oregano oil (not olive leaf oil) for my son. You asked about dosage, brand and how he takes it. We have it in liquid form in a small brown bottle, though apparently it could also come in a tablet I think. The brand is called Physician's Strength, manufactured in Lincolnshire, Il. He is supposed to put 3 drops of it on to some food and eat that, twice a day. The first time he tried that, he could barely get it down. He likes oregano, but this stuff is unbelievingly strong. It's very penetrating in your nose as well as your throat. So we bought empty clear capsules from the health food store, and put 3 drops in one, twice a day. This way he doesn't taste it at all, and the doctor said that was fine. Our doctor never talked to us about changing his diet (avoiding sugar, vinegar, etc.) so we have never done that. Perhaps that's why this yeast is so hard to beat. :)

Ronnas,

I agree with Claire that taking the probiotics after antibiotics is a wise thing to do. But I think your son is already doing that, right?

Phyl

Sorry Phyl, I always get olive leaf extract and oregano oil mixed up. Both Italian flavorings starting with an O. I corrected my post.

efgh, I meant oregano oil, though olive leaf extract is also an antifungal.

So Phyl, every book I read said diet change is required. Some mainstream physician (well respected, but forgot his name) uses this as an argument against candida treatments: Nystatin did nothing on its own.

Claire

ps Threelac claims no diet change is needed. But no studies there. But I am experimenting with myself based on Heather's success.

After reading about yeast here a while ago and assuming as my son's cdsa came back negative for yeast that yeast was a no issue for us. Since then I have come to realize that this can still be an issue even if cdsa is clear.

After that I am in the process of reading "the yeast connection" by William Crook that I have borrowed from the Library. This book was written back in the late 80's so there is probably more up to date info about now.

Something I found fascinating in this book was part of an interview with Leo Galland in which he says yeast plays havoc with the way the body handles magnesium. He says "some of my yeast patients seem to be "sieves" for magnesium. They may require huge does to maintain a normal body level. Moreover, one reason why a chronic yeast infection creates a magnesium problem is that such an infection creates a deficiency of vitamin b6. And vitamin b6 appears to paly an important role in magnesium utilization. So, to get your magnesium and b6 requirements back to normal, you've got to treat your yeast problem" (page 365)

No references to research were shown for this interview, but it makes you wonder when magnesium seems so important to our kids!

Caz

Caz,

Interesting read you have there. I wrote in another post that my son is on Magnesium, B6, and Zinc. His tics are non-existent right now. There are 2 times that I slacked off, once with B6 and once with Magnesium and the tics came back both times. We did treat for yeast last winter but I haven't kept up consistently with the Threelac for yeast. When we did treat the yeast last winter his tics were significantly reduced even without the B6 and Magnesium (we hadn't started these supplements at that point). I do believe that Leo Galland has a valid point. I have heard about his book so much. I think I will hunt it down to read.

Heather

I have the white coating on my tongue and did the spit test and the spit sunk. Aren't there other symptoms that would be showing like a sore mouth, etc. if I have Candida Yeast Infection?