ACN Latitudes Forums

Gluten Free

I'm considering trying to go gluten free this summer. I have known for years that I feel better without grains but I'm wondering if it could be gluten specifically i'm sensitive to. The more I read about food allergies & sensitivities, the more curious I get. My skin is the worst it has been ever. Worse than it was as a teen & I'm over it! My PANDAS son is doing well right now, but I'd still like to wean him off the Biaxin or at least reduce the dose. And I want to find the root of what is inflamming his system & throwing off his immune system. My younger son's encopresis is flaring up again & I am so sick of dealing with it! His belly is so distended regardless of how often he has a BM.

I found a new Naturopathic docter I'm going to try for all of us. I need someone who doesn't think I'm nuts & who is willing to look for root causes, not just treat symptoms. We are also going to do the blood draw (finally!) for both boys on Monday to run the cunningham test. I'm so curious about the results.

Since we have gone mostly dairy free, my husbands digestive complaints have almost disappeared. Every time he does have some dairy he gets sick. He isn't sure he wants to admit that it is dairy, but I see a pretty consistent connection for him. I'm not sure if it has helped me or my boys, but I figure it probably isn't hurting either.

We are definitely a family of "apple" shapes that are on the hypoglycemic side, so reducing grains would probably be good for all of us. I'm going to focus on gluten specifically for the summer & see if it makes a difference for any of us.

Anyone had experiences to share?

I'm considering trying to go gluten free this summer. I have known for years that I feel better without grains but I'm wondering if it could be gluten specifically i'm sensitive to. The more I read about food allergies & sensitivities, the more curious I get. My skin is the worst it has been ever. Worse than it was as a teen & I'm over it! My PANDAS son is doing well right now, but I'd still like to wean him off the Biaxin or at least reduce the dose. And I want to find the root of what is inflamming his system & throwing off his immune system. My younger son's encopresis is flaring up again & I am so sick of dealing with it! His belly is so distended regardless of how often he has a BM.

I found a new Naturopathic docter I'm going to try for all of us. I need someone who doesn't think I'm nuts & who is willing to look for root causes, not just treat symptoms. We are also going to do the blood draw (finally!) for both boys on Monday to run the cunningham test. I'm so curious about the results.

Since we have gone mostly dairy free, my husbands digestive complaints have almost disappeared. Every time he does have some dairy he gets sick. He isn't sure he wants to admit that it is dairy, but I see a pretty consistent connection for him. I'm not sure if it has helped me or my boys, but I figure it probably isn't hurting either.

We are definitely a family of "apple" shapes that are on the hypoglycemic side, so reducing grains would probably be good for all of us. I'm going to focus on gluten specifically for the summer & see if it makes a difference for any of us.

We are Dairy free and at this time gluten reduced......( DS had really high casein peptide ratio and we were advised to stop dairy about a month ago) will probably probably move to gluten free( it is the fastest way for me to lose weight ironically) We have ot done it since finding out about PANDAS- but ds has lots of stomach pain and I am going to start a symptom tracker and see if I can tie it back to gluten- even though an endoscopy in the fall determined he was not celiac....keep us posted- I am curious too!

Brandy

I have been gluten free at least 18 years and my daughter has been for the last 3 or so as well as dairy free. It has helped both of us. My daughter did not have positive test for gluten as an issue but did have just for wheat, but she knows she cannot tolerate other grains as well and it could be the gluten in each of them so we have just cut it out all together.

I was tested for celiac way back by a doctor who did not feel I had that but what I do have is an intolerance to gluten, after testing ok for grains except white flour, I then used to try to eat whole grains and it never worked and that is when I stopped any and all grains and gluten and have not had issues since. You don't have to be full blown celiac to have problems with grains/gluten. I can do rice and corn without issues, some can not do that.

It has been so long now that I do not find it a hardship nor does my daughter, there are plenty of things to eat now, much more then when I first started and we have just adapted and I know some people feel it is much more expensive to eat gluten free, I do not find that an issue. I can by a lot of items in stop and shop and some things in our health food store that are not over the top.

Hope this is helpful.

Kay

We are Dairy free and at this time gluten reduced......( DS had really high casein peptide ratio and we were advised to stop dairy about a month ago) will probably probably move to gluten free( it is the fastest way for me to lose weight ironically) We have ot done it since finding out about PANDAS- but ds has lots of stomach pain and I am going to start a symptom tracker and see if I can tie it back to gluten- even though an endoscopy in the fall determined he was not celiac....keep us posted- I am curious too!

Brandy

We have been gluten-free since my son had stomach aches for 3 mos. last year. His stomach aches went away in about 4 days. He already had been thru endoscopy showing just a little inflammation in the small colon and not gluten insensitive and not celiac. Go figure!

Now his Dr. thinks it may have been the start of PAndas but we are still gluten-free and my husbands collestrol (SP?) dove down. We all feel much better and our heads feel clearer than ever.

Going GF changed our lives for the better!

dd8 (tested gluten intolerant), much less angry, more calm, cleared her skin 100% from eczema, itchy dry skin

dd7 (tested gluten intolerant), seizures went away, started growing, baby teeth started to fall out, hair started to grow, played more, gut issues went away, malabsorption issues got better, got her off most of her supplements (and she was on A LOT).

me (I'm allergic to wheat), itchy skin cleared up, strange periodic dermatitis cleared up

I think it's worth a try. Sounds like you are aware of your body and you will know it it's worth it. It is hard to do GF and DF but you can do it!

Susan

I have also been GF for about 20 years. I tested negative for celiac, but have also been told that there are false negatives. I, too have tried going back to eating gluten, occasionally, and I definitely don't feel well when I eat it. Because I test negative for celiac, I don't worry if small amounts creep in to my food occasionally (if you have celiac, you have to be a fanatic.)

Both my kids also went GF and dairy free and yeast free and sugar free for awhile. No difference was observed for my younger son, but my older one, who also has AS, definitely was a different person (yeast didn't matter, but the other 3 sure did.) Once he turned 14, though, I couldn't control what he ate outside of home (ie school), and I gave up. Yes, there were changes, but he didn't care, and I had to pick my battles. I brought it up to Dr. K. last year, and he said it doesn't always make a difference in teenagers, but can in younger kids.

Personally, I think it's worth a try if you're willing to give it a real try (we were told by our holistic chiropractor that we needed to try for 3 months. But, you really can't cheat during that time, or you won't know. Then, if you eliminate several things (like we did...gluten, sugar, dairy and yeast), you have to add them in 1 at a time, and space it at least 1 week apart, or you won't know what got you.

By far, the easiest way to do it, I have found, is stick to non-processed foods (fresh fruit, fresh veges, fresh meat/fish/chicken, etc.)

Good luck.