ACN Latitudes Forums

PANDAS and allergies

I have seen some things here that have increased my questions based on my DS' experiences. Is there a connection between PANDAS and allergies? How does that link work?

I've read posts about exacerbations from pollen and seen mentions of seeing allergists. I've also noticed seasonal allergy problems with my ds, absolutely being laid low until having allergy med and yet never had allergies in the past.

We see an allergist next week due to his possible allergy to abx but if there is more I can get from this appt. then I certainly want to make the most of it.

My daughters symptoms ramp with bad allergy days. The immunologist we see believes that kids with bad allergies increase their chances of repeated infections (respiratory) because of the impact on those normal infection fighting tissues being disabled from inflammation. This means strep among infections, not just colds.

Ellie

I have seen some things here that have increased my questions based on my DS' experiences. Is there a connection between PANDAS and allergies? How does that link work?

I've read posts about exacerbations from pollen and seen mentions of seeing allergists. I've also noticed seasonal allergy problems with my ds, absolutely being laid low until having allergy med and yet never had allergies in the past.

We see an allergist next week due to his possible allergy to abx but if there is more I can get from this appt. then I certainly want to make the most of it.

For us, I can tell a big difference with my dd's when their allergies are high. I don't have any studies or proof in relation to pandas though. My dd8 is going through allergy shots to calm her horrible allergies. We hope that long term, it will be helpful to her so she won't get sick as much and won't feel as badly, hopefully won't trigger pandas. So far, she is tolerating the allergy shots very well. We were not sure about that in the beginning.

Susan

I see increased PANDAS symptoms when my son's allergies are high. I don't know of any specific literature on this yet. Allergic reactions trigger a host of immune changes and also trigger inflammation. That is why kids are more likely to get sinus infections and ear infections if their allergies are not under control. In theory, the inflammation from the allergies and / or inflammation from secondary infections may lead to a breach in the blood brain barrier that is thought to contribute to PANDAS reactions.... but I don't know of any hard evidence for that.

We saw a ramp-up in behaviors, too, once allergy season started. DS has always had mild to moderate seasonal allergies, and is also generally allergic to dust and cats.

Since allergies are connected with the immune system, it makes sense to me that the immune system becoming more "activated" by the allergies would stir up the PANDAS, as well.

Since about April, we've been given DS a 10 mg. Zyrtec gelcap in the morning and a single Benedryl at night, and he also takes a prescription Flonase-type nose spray along with 1,000 mg. of quercitin daily. Between the four of them, we've been able to nulify the allergy impact pretty well (knock on wood).

We saw a ramp-up in behaviors, too, once allergy season started. DS has always had mild to moderate seasonal allergies, and is also generally allergic to dust and cats.

Since allergies are connected with the immune system, it makes sense to me that the immune system becoming more "activated" by the allergies would stir up the PANDAS, as well.

Since about April, we've been given DS a 10 mg. Zyrtec gelcap in the morning and a single Benedryl at night, and he also takes a prescription Flonase-type nose spray along with 1,000 mg. of quercitin daily. Between the four of them, we've been able to nulify the allergy impact pretty well (knock on wood).

Thanks for the info. I have not had ds take zyrtec daily, only on bad days but I may just make it part of the routine. I hate to add more meds but if he will have a smoother rode I will try.

Thanks for the info. I have not had ds take zyrtec daily, only on bad days but I may just make it part of the routine. I hate to add more meds but if he will have a smoother rode I will try.

Someone here on the forum, on a previous "allergies" thread had given some nice information about "allergy load," basically suggesting that you want to start each day with the lowest possible level of allergen exposure possible because the "allergy load" builds throughout the day, essentially without any real opportunity to "burn off" or lessen the load while in the presence of the allergens.

So we basically start our day after having slept with Benedryl through the night, then he gets the Zytec and quercitin in the morning, followed by some more quercitin in the evening at dinner time, setting him up for a peaceful night with more Benedryl. We also closed up our house (even on nice days), and run all of our air through the HEPA filter system on our HVAC, and we take off shoes, jackets, etc. in the foyer, rather than potentially tracking pollen through the house.

Overall, these strategies have really helped in our house. Once more, thanks to the forum!