ACN Latitudes Forums

Anesthesia question

Hi - I was wondering if any parents have seen flares in PANDAS symptoms following general anesthesia?

I have read a few papers re GA and the effect on the vasculature potentially affecting the integrity of the blood brain barrier.. any ideas?

Thanks...

Hi - I was wondering if any parents have seen flares in PANDAS symptoms following general anesthesia?

I have read a few papers re GA and the effect on the vasculature potentially affecting the integrity of the blood brain barrier.. any ideas?

Thanks...

OK.....when ds had to have oral surgery at 7 1/2-8 .....he was like a wild cat coming out of it....husband out of town..of course...

baby at the time is there...nurse had to hold baby...someone got the other kid and i had to restrain ds...and his eyes!!!!!

Hi - do you mind me asking how long it lasted.. was it just r-eadjustment following being knocked out cold or a flare in symptoms?

trying to remember..in the roller coaster over here...also hubby out of town,a 4-5 year old and an infant

i don't think ds was in an episode at that time...can't be positive...he would completely remit once strep was gone...though very mild add, very mild sensory....

the rage lasted about on hour, ithink...and the rest of the day was walking on egg shells.....

Some have cited a flare in symptoms post t and a or post dental visit with laughing gas. Many think that it is due to tissue damage/exposure and the bacteria finding it's way to the blood system. I agree with that. However, in my opinion (and it's only an opinion) I cannot ignore that anesthesia is also a common factor. Personally, I would steer away from anesthesia until the child is recovered for a good amount of time, if you can. I realize some thing cannot be put off. So, if you must have surgery, perhaps discuss with the doctor ahead of time about having a steroid burst available if PANDAs really flares up.

Edited by Vickie

My two oldest children were under anesthesia for a T&A and I did not see a flareup.

My 3rd son has had nitrous oxide three times in the past year for cavity repairs and I did not see any flareups then either.

Colleen