ACN Latitudes Forums

Does anybody know about cases where tics came after a head/neck injury

My son had a serious neck injury 4 months ago, we took him to the emergency room, they did X-rays but there was no fracture.

Then 1 month ago he started having tics, I found this link that says it could be related to the neck injury.

http://www.erinelster.com/CaseStudies.aspx?ConditionID=24

http://www.erinelster.com/ConditionsDetail...?ConditionID=24

Does anybody know about any case where tics came as result of a head/neck injury?

Does anybody know a good NUCCA Chiropractor in L.A?

Thanks!

hi Deby

yes, a head injury or anything that causes cervical vertebrae misalignment can cause tics.

I mentioned too on the other thread that some have found that if the trans mandibular joint is misaligned, this can also cause tics

if you go to the NUCCA webiste you may get info on finding a practitioner in your area http://www.nucca.org

• 2 weeks later...

I am wondering about the same thing. My son went on a bumper car ride at age 5 and when he got off, he complained that the back of his neck hurt. In a day or two (dont' remember) he had a shoulder shrug that gradually subsided after two weeks. Since that day, he has always complained that the large bone on the back of his neck hurt, especially when he did his school work bending forward. His pediatrician said that he should ensure that he had a desk that was higher up, so that he didn't have to bend down. The big bone in his neck is really pronounced.

Now he is 7 y.o. That big bone in his neck continued to hurt. 4 months before he turned 7, he had strep. Then 2 months before he turned 7, he had an ongoing sore throat. Pediatrican said that he would inevitably have the strep virus in his system, but to wait and see if his tonsils had more red spots on them before giving penicillin. I didn't know what that could look like, nor did I realize the horrible problems that untreated strep could cause. Then one month before he turned 7 he got very sick (fever, throat, bones hurt, cough) and I treated it naturally by having him work out the fever on his own, and giving him garlic. I now believe that was a mistake. Should have just gone to the doctor. He went back to school, played soccer and got hit in the head by another kid and fell back onto his neck. He got sick again two days later, and then started turning his head back and forth and making mouth movements that he had never done before. Got sick again, and then was well. However, the mouth movements increased and he ended up with shoulder shrugs.

Now I am wondering about Pandas and something with his neck or head.

head/neck injury and pandas too ???

What about the back of the neck that has that big bump? Could that be part of the misalignment? What is that bone called?

I am afraid of chiropractors after hearing about some deaths. Sounds like they can really make a difference to some people. What about young children?

-------

quote name='Chemar' date='Jun 1 2010, 08:39 AM' post='69646']

hi Deby

yes, a head injury or anything that causes cervical vertebrae misalignment can cause tics.

I mentioned too on the other thread that some have found that if the trans mandibular joint is misaligned, this can also cause tics

if you go to the NUCCA webiste you may get info on finding a practitioner in your area http://www.nucca.org

I am wondering about the same thing. My son went on a bumper car ride at age 5 and when he got off, he complained that the back of his neck hurt. In a day or two (dont' remember) he had a shoulder shrug that gradually subsided after two weeks. Since that day, he has always complained that the large bone on the back of his neck hurt, especially when he did his school work bending forward. His pediatrician said that he should ensure that he had a desk that was higher up, so that he didn't have to bend down. The big bone in his neck is really pronounced.

Now he is 7 y.o. That big bone in his neck continued to hurt. 4 months before he turned 7, he had strep. Then 2 months before he turned 7, he had an ongoing sore throat. Pediatrican said that he would inevitably have the strep virus in his system, but to wait and see if his tonsils had more red spots on them before giving penicillin. I didn't know what that could look like, nor did I realize the horrible problems that untreated strep could cause. Then one month before he turned 7 he got very sick (fever, throat, bones hurt, cough) and I treated it naturally by having him work out the fever on his own, and giving him garlic. I now believe that was a mistake. Should have just gone to the doctor. He went back to school, played soccer and got hit in the head by another kid and fell back onto his neck. He got sick again two days later, and then started turning his head back and forth and making mouth movements that he had never done before. Got sick again, and then was well. However, the mouth movements increased and he ended up with shoulder shrugs.

I'm not an expert, and I'm very confused too. This "tics" nightmare started for us 1 month ago and there is a lot of information about Pandas and nobody can say that they are sure 100% that Pandas is the cause of these behaviors/tics.

What I am starting to think is in the case of my son, he had the neck injury, that was a real trauma for him (we call 911, the firefighters came , 2 huge trucks, the tied him from head to toe,and took him to the emergency room). That trauma together with stress (we put a lot of pressure on him regarding school and state tests) I believe lowered his immune system.

Then probably he got some kind of strep (it didn't manifest, but we got really high titers). and then he got the tics.

I started last week with a chiropractor that I really trust. He will go once a week for now. In the beginning none adjustments will be done, just more like a massage.

The chiropractor said that he has like a ball of stiff muscles. First he need to make that muscles relaxed. I'm sure that muscle tense also cause him pain, so definitively we need to treat that. Then we will check if he will need other adjustment. In my next session I'll ask him what is the next step, if we need to do MRI or other test.

I'll let you know what he says.

• 2 years later...

I'm not an expert, and I'm very confused too. This "tics" nightmare started for us 1 month ago and there is a lot of information about Pandas and nobody can say that they are sure 100% that Pandas is the cause of these behaviors/tics.

What I am starting to think is in the case of my son, he had the neck injury, that was a real trauma for him (we call 911, the firefighters came , 2 huge trucks, the tied him from head to toe,and took him to the emergency room). That trauma together with stress (we put a lot of pressure on him regarding school and state tests) I believe lowered his immune system.

Then probably he got some kind of strep (it didn't manifest, but we got really high titers). and then he got the tics.

I started last week with a chiropractor that I really trust. He will go once a week for now. In the beginning none adjustments will be done, just more like a massage.

The chiropractor said that he has like a ball of stiff muscles. First he need to make that muscles relaxed. I'm sure that muscle tense also cause him pain, so definitively we need to treat that. Then we will check if he will need other adjustment. In my next session I'll ask him what is the next step, if we need to do MRI or other test.

I'll let you know what he says.

I dug up this old post about head injuries and tics. Ds9 got kicked really hard in the back of the head in June during a soccer game when he was down getting the ball, and two days later he started with an intense neck stretching tic. Now he has that tic along with head tic. He has dormant tics that come out with infections and head injuries.

Besides chiropracters, are there other things to consider looking into? There is some kind of MRI study being done at Toronto Western Hospital. Wonder if that would show any lesions in the brain. What would an MRI show anyways?

I wonder if anyone else has had tics come out with head injuries from sports related activities or other things.

• 4 weeks later...

hi Deby

What type of things do these chiropractors do? Are they available all over north america?

As explained on the website I linked, NUCCA chiros do cervical vertebrae realignment. They use very gentle pressure and other non forceful adjustments. You can get a lot of info by looking at the website and yes they are all over the USA and again, the website gives a list of accredited ones

• 4 months later...

My son had a serious neck injury 4 months ago, we took him to the emergency room, they did X-rays but there was no fracture.

Then 1 month ago he started having tics, I found this link that says it could be related to the neck injury.

http://www.erinelster.com/CaseStudies.aspx?ConditionID=24

http://www.erinelster.com/ConditionsDetail...?ConditionID=24

Does anybody know about any case where tics came as result of a head/neck injury?

Does anybody know a good NUCCA Chiropractor in L.A?

Thanks!

Hope You will find my answer, just saw your post.

My best freind's son had a bad neck injury; the next day he had tics. he was having tics for 2 years, and than they just dissapierd.

So, it s possible.