ACN Latitudes Forums

Sudden motor and vocal tics. Need help.

My son started with sudden tics 1 moth ago, in the beginning I didn't know there were tics (open jaw and short scream).

Then 3 weeks ago, during the weekend he started doing the tics non stop, a sudden burst.That was just before the state tests.

We immediately took him to a neurologist recommended by his pediatrician, she said that the tics might go away, but you never know. That we should take all the stress from his life and maybe start doing therapy. Luckily she didn't recommend to start medication, since at that point I wasn't aware of all the problems the medications bring.

I have an appointment with an allergist next week, I bought Bonnies supp, and Epson salts.

I am buying organic foods, get rid of all the candy, starting to look at the labels to avoid food coloring and MSG.

We stop all the pressure that we applied on his studies.

One thing that I have to mention is that we brought a dog in January.

He is not doing better, some days are better than the others.

I wasn't aware about the connection between allergies and tics.

Do you think the dog or other allergens could cause this sudden reaction?

He didn't get any vaccine for the last years nor had a strep infection.

Thank you.

Dogs can be carriers of strep.

My son started with sudden tics 1 moth ago, in the beginning I didn't know there were tics (open jaw and short scream).

Then 3 weeks ago, during the weekend he started doing the tics non stop, a sudden burst.That was just before the state tests.

We immediately took him to a neurologist recommended by his pediatrician, she said that the tics might go away, but you never know. That we should take all the stress from his life and maybe start doing therapy. Luckily she didn't recommend to start medication, since at that point I wasn't aware of all the problems the medications bring.

I have an appointment with an allergist next week, I bought Bonnies supp, and Epson salts.

I am buying organic foods, get rid of all the candy, starting to look at the labels to avoid food coloring and MSG.

Thank you.

Dear Wendy,

I'm taking my son to do all the tests that you recommended today.

I hope that they will find something.

What do you recommend should be my next step?

If he tests positive, he should start with antibiotics.

If he test negative, what should I do?

I am going to give my dog to a friend for 1 week, and see if anything improves.

Thanks,

Deby

You can treat your dog with a course of antibiotics just to be safe. However, family members are more likely to be the culprit over the new addition of the dog but you never know.

If your son is positive for strep: rapid, culture, ASO, Anti-DNAse-B absolutely demand antibiotic treatment from your Dr. If he tests negative for strep, I would still test for mycoplasma, Lyme, Igg subclasses, Immune complexes. I know a Lyme literate Dr. could test for the mycoplasma, Lyme, Immune complexes.... I not sure if they would test Igg Subclasses, strep pneumo titers (forgot to mention this particular test previously) and those tests you would typically get from an Immunologist.

Just so you may know, strep can go undetected in the gut, sinuses, ears, etc.....

- Wendy

Edited by SF Mom

Thank you.

Hi Deby,

I can give you the name of our pediatrician who is taking care of my son who has PANDAS. Dr. Goldberg, his office is in Tarzana

818-343-1010. since we started in Jan he is doing much better. Good luck

Our neurologist had us tx the dog with a shot of penicillin. Actually, it was our vet who sounded the alarm (he knew more about autoimmune disorders than most of the other doctors we had ever seen.) We had gotten our dog from the SPCA...he was a rescue. Vet said he could have picked up anything. We called our neurologist who then called the vet, and told him what to give the dog.

Also, if your dog recently got any immunizations (some are live), it can trigger a response in your child. The bordetella (kennel cough) vaccine is usually live, and definitely gave our son trouble. When it came time for the next vaccine, we went to the vet, and asked him what to do. There happened to be a killed bordetella vaccine that most vets do not give, because some believe it is not as effective. But, in our case, we really had no choice.

Make sure to test for perianal strep too. I think this may have been the culprit with my son, becasue he had a slight rash on and off for some time before he started to get symptoms. Back then, I didn't know there was anyting besides strep throat. We chalked it up to being sweaty all the time from baseball, and the fact that he would wet his bed (but just enough to get on underwear of fammies) and not tell us. i might have put some antibiotic ointment on it.

Thank you.

Hi Deby,

I can give you the name of our pediatrician who is taking care of my son who has PANDAS. Dr. Goldberg, his office is in Tarzana

Dear Jakio,

I live very close to Tarzana, so thank you very much for the information.

Did you son started with tics like my son?

How Dr Goldberg discovered that it is PANDAS and what is the treatment that he gave your son?

Thanks!

Deby

You can treat your dog with a course of antibiotics just to be safe. However, family members are more likely to be the culprit over the new addition of the dog but you never know.

If your son is positive for strep: rapid, culture, ASO, Anti-DNAse-B absolutely demand antibiotic treatment from your Dr. If he tests negative for strep, I would still test for mycoplasma, Lyme, Igg subclasses, Immune complexes. I know a Lyme literate Dr. could test for the mycoplasma, Lyme, Immune complexes.... I not sure if they would test Igg Subclasses, strep pneumo titers (forgot to mention this particular test previously) and those tests you would typically get from an Immunologist.

Just so you may know, strep can go undetected in the gut, sinuses, ears, etc.....

- Wendy

I took today my son to do the tests that you recommended, the ped didn't gave me the lyme test though.

The rapid test was negative, the rest I'll need to wait.

Our neurologist had us tx the dog with a shot of penicillin. Actually, it was our vet who sounded the alarm (he knew more about autoimmune disorders than most of the other doctors we had ever seen.) We had gotten our dog from the SPCA...he was a rescue. Vet said he could have picked up anything. We called our neurologist who then called the vet, and told him what to give the dog.

Also, if your dog recently got any immunizations (some are live), it can trigger a response in your child. The bordetella (kennel cough) vaccine is usually live, and definitely gave our son trouble. When it came time for the next vaccine, we went to the vet, and asked him what to do. There happened to be a killed bordetella vaccine that most vets do not give, because some believe it is not as effective. But, in our case, we really had no choice.

My dog got some inmunizations , and if I'm not mistaken it was couple of weeks before that my son started the tics. So does your son had the same symptoms that my son has?

Did he had tics? Could you tell me what your neurologist told your vet?

We also got our dog from rescue.

Thank you.

Hi Deby,

Dear Jakio,

I live very close to Tarzana, so thank you very much for the information.

Did you son started with tics like my son?

How Dr Goldberg discovered that it is PANDAS and what is the treatment that he gave your son?

Thanks!

Deby

HI, he become suddenly OCD, hand washing, throath clearing, not touching objects .... I discovered he was Pandas by reseaching, run some test and then I got Dr. Goldberg's name in this forum. he started him with antibiotics and antiviral after he requested other tests. my son is doing better and I hope he can help yours as well.