ACN Latitudes Forums

Are the math skills going to come back?

I have been assuming that when my daughter gets well her math skills will return, or do I have to reteach it all? In the meantime, she is doing learning again (just this past week) and cooperative with the math. I am trying to get her to do practice as much as possible, but not killing myself over it. She is excessively slow. I would like to speed her up, but that stresses her. She can do speed spelling (loves it), but not math.

I would say YES, definitely a possibility --In our experience (and we were holding our breath) but once healing happened with the right treatments for PANDAS=YES, those skills came back.

Last year, our d was getting Fs in Math due to PANDAS -- once we got the treatments for PANDAS in place she "skipped" 6th grade math (only worked on it in the summer!) and jumped up to take Honors Math this year.

Mind you, we kept her on FULL strength antibiotics (Amox.) for 9 monthsbefore we saw these results (+ 2 steroid bursts.)

With the correct treatment--based on our first hand experience, I would say Yes. Though no one really knows for sure--case by case basis.

This illness merits treatment until it is erradicated--for your child's sake.

Edited by T.Mom

YES for us too :wub:

DD was in the early to middle of K when pandas hit. Just learning/working on numbers. I thought she had a huge math issue (didn't realize this was part of pandas at the time) because she wrote all of her numbers backward, mixed up the teens, and just could not get down counting over 20. Once she was treated with plasma pheresis- overnight- she could write from 0 to 100 perfectly- AND enjoyed doing it! This year she tested advanced in math!

It will come back with treatment!

Another "Yes!" vote here, too!

DS was always good at math and has been in an accelerated program since 4th grade. But when the exacerbation struck, he couldn't think, couldn't organize his thoughts, couldn't put them down on paper, couldn't stay focused on a multi-step problem long enough to bring it to its conclusion, etc.

Since we began abx treatment, though, he has steadily improved. Where I used to have to talk through every problem with him and frequently even write down his verbal responses on his behalf, he now not only works through all the problems on his own and writes them out himself, but he does it in record time!

It will come back. I think math is one of the first things to "go" and one of the most extended "returns" because of its nature; it requires an ability to do multi-steps, to organize, and those are two of the skills my DS lost most dramatically to PANDAS. But it's coming back . . . . ! :wub:

I have been assuming that when my daughter gets well her math skills will return, or do I have to reteach it all? In the meantime, she is doing learning again (just this past week) and cooperative with the math. I am trying to get her to do practice as much as possible, but not killing myself over it. She is excessively slow. I would like to speed her up, but that stresses her. She can do speed spelling (loves it), but not math.

The brain will come back. My son had a hard time at his worst with PANDAS, but now he has caught up nicely. Still, some days he has a hard time. I think the MOST important thing is not to stress her out right now. Just keep practicing those things she's comfortable with, but don't push her. She will catch up once she's better.

Isabel