ACN Latitudes Forums

Improvement w/ Ibuprofen

So dd7 has PANDAS and she has not been super great lately, increased OCD, emotional, angry and impulsive. I started giving her ibuprofen yesterday as an act of desperation. She had a good evening and a good day today after continued dosing today. I get confused with her about whether some of her symptoms are regular growing up stuff or not. If the symptoms improve with ibuprofen, can I assume they are pandas related symptoms?

I don't know why it matters, I'm just happy she's feeling better. We are still waiting to hear from the neurologist on our next steps for her. She's on 500 mg zith 3 times a week, probiotics, multivitamin, allegra.

Susan

Quite often I give my kids ibuprofen just to figure out if what they are doing is pandas related. The only time that ibuprofen has not dramatically improved the situation is when their aggression, anger, meltdowns, etc are due to gut bacteria and not pandas/autoimmune issues. Really helps me to figure things out, especially in my 2yo b/c with him it's hard to tell if it's terrible two's or what. I have learned that with him there is no such thing as terrible two's. There is always a reason for his meltdowns (pandas/bacteria). Once we treat it he goes back to being my little angel baby.

Anyway, good thing we have ibuprofen, huh?

Stephanie

So dd7 has PANDAS and she has not been super great lately, increased OCD, emotional, angry and impulsive. I started giving her ibuprofen yesterday as an act of desperation. She had a good evening and a good day today after continued dosing today. I get confused with her about whether some of her symptoms are regular growing up stuff or not. If the symptoms improve with ibuprofen, can I assume they are pandas related symptoms?

I don't know why it matters, I'm just happy she's feeling better. We are still waiting to hear from the neurologist on our next steps for her. She's on 500 mg zith 3 times a week, probiotics, multivitamin, allegra.

Susan

Quite often I give my kids ibuprofen just to figure out if what they are doing is pandas related. The only time that ibuprofen has not dramatically improved the situation is when their aggression, anger, meltdowns, etc are due to gut bacteria and not pandas/autoimmune issues. Really helps me to figure things out, especially in my 2yo b/c with him it's hard to tell if it's terrible two's or what. I have learned that with him there is no such thing as terrible two's. There is always a reason for his meltdowns (pandas/bacteria). Once we treat it he goes back to being my little angel baby.

Anyway, good thing we have ibuprofen, huh?

Stephanie

Susan

This is really good to know.. we found out 3 weeks ago that my dd8 has PANDAS.. she has been doing wonderful with all the PANDAS issues since starting the cefadroxil 250mg 1 1/4 teaspoon twice a day. (this was on April 30, 2010) BUT over the weekend my DS10 got sick and tested pos for strep throat on Monday.. and yesterday with my dd8(PANDAS child) she was so emotional, crying at a drop of a hat over the tiniest little thing and snapping and bitting peoples heads off just sort of being nasty if they even breathed around her wrong.. just overly moody I gues.. She isn't like that when she is herself.. she is a sweet child not really a nasty mean side to her.. So I was wondering if this was some of the PANDAS issues.. Sort of thought it might have been.. but then I was thinking to myself.. how do I know when she is just being mean and needing corrected for it or when it is part of PANDAS which she really has no control over.. I'm going to have to go out and get some ibuprofen... I'm really new to all of this and I'm not even sure what Ibuprofen and PANDAS has to do with each other but I guess I better go find out..

Ibuprofen is an anti-inflammatory - if the theory is correct that PANDAS is caused (or in part caused) by inflammation of the basil ganglia, then an anti-inflammatory would reduce inflammation and improve symptoms.

I'm just thinking out loud here, but I would think in order for it to have any significant affect, there would have to be some other combination (like zith or augmentin) to combat the CAUSE of the inflammation or relief of symptoms would be nil, mild and/or brief.

Ibuprofen is an anti-inflammatory - if the theory is correct that PANDAS is caused (or in part caused) by inflammation of the basil ganglia, then an anti-inflammatory would reduce inflammation and improve symptoms.

I'm just thinking out loud here, but I would think in order for it to have any significant affect, there would have to be some other combination (like zith or augmentin) to combat the CAUSE of the inflammation or relief of symptoms would be nil, mild and/or brief.

interesting.. Like I said I'm very new to this.. less then 3 weeks ago I never heard of PANDAS.. She has been on the antibiodic Cefadroxil since May 1.. She tested pos for the strep on the 29th and they started her on Amoxicillin but she had an allergice reaction to it and so now they have her marked as alergic to Pennicillin So I"m sure they will no longer give her augmentin since it is part Amoxicillin.. TheCefadroxil which they have her on is a cephalosporin which I found this over at the Pandasnetwork "Augmentin (amoxicillin/clavulanate blend) and Cephalexin, KeFlex, (a cephalosporin) have been very good for arresting most strains of strep. See remarks on Cephalexin superiority over penicillin regarding post-strep illnesses at page (3) of by Dr. R. Hahn, et al (2008) Evaluation of Post-streptococcal Illness."

I didn't have time yet to read the study they mentioned here but at this point with her having a reaction to Amxoicillin (I'm allergic to Pennicillin but up until now none of my kids have been) it really doesn't matter because she can't have it..

Do you think that the Ibuprofen and the cephalosporin sort of antibiodic she is on would have the affect we are looking for and talking about??

interesting.. Like I said I'm very new to this.. less then 3 weeks ago I never heard of PANDAS.. She has been on the antibiodic Cefadroxil since May 1.. She tested pos for the strep on the 29th and they started her on Amoxicillin but she had an allergice reaction to it and so now they have her marked as alergic to Pennicillin So I"m sure they will no longer give her augmentin since it is part Amoxicillin.. TheCefadroxil which they have her on is a cephalosporin which I found this over at the Pandasnetwork "Augmentin (amoxicillin/clavulanate blend) and Cephalexin, KeFlex, (a cephalosporin) have been very good for arresting most strains of strep. See remarks on Cephalexin superiority over penicillin regarding post-strep illnesses at page (3) of by Dr. R. Hahn, et al (2008) Evaluation of Post-streptococcal Illness."

I didn't have time yet to read the study they mentioned here but at this point with her having a reaction to Amxoicillin (I'm allergic to Pennicillin but up until now none of my kids have been) it really doesn't matter because she can't have it..

Do you think that the Ibuprofen and the cephalosporin sort of antibiodic she is on would have the affect we are looking for and talking about??

I wonder if its possible that the Mono is back? Amoxicillan is known to cause a rash if you have mono.

I wonder if its possible that the Mono is back? Amoxicillan is known to cause a rash if you have mono.

I'm not 100% sure.. When I 1st took dd into the doctor because I was at the end of my rope and not knowing what to do with her before they figured out it was PANDAS(this was a week or two before Easter this year) they did a ton of blood work on her and from that they found here Epstin Barr numbers were still really high.. He said not high enough to call it mono but high enough to say she is still at the early stage of recoving from it.