ACN Latitudes Forums

Please help-son now running a 102 fever while on abx

We have been on abx for 5 days now, round 2 (see earlier post). He felt poorly all day today and complained of stomach pain, had constipation then diarrhea. He had a fever of about 99 around dinner time, i gave some tylenol and he seemed fine before bed. I went to check on him and he was burning up-102.3. Can this happen on antibiotics? Should i call the doc? ER? Please help!

I don't think you need the ER, but I guess call the doc in the morning. I would say it is probably viral if he is on high-dose abx (like the stomach flu??). Or could be some bacteria that the abx does not cover.

You can rotate and overlap Tylenol and Ibuprofen if one alone does not cover the fever. I think they say: tylenol, then ibuprofen 3 hours later, then tylenol 3 hours later, then ibuprofen 3hours later, etc...

Hope this helps,

Stephanie

We have been on abx for 5 days now, round 2 (see earlier post). He felt poorly all day today and complained of stomach pain, had constipation then diarrhea. He had a fever of about 99 around dinner time, i gave some tylenol and he seemed fine before bed. I went to check on him and he was burning up-102.3. Can this happen on antibiotics? Should i call the doc? ER? Please help!

BTW, could the stomach/constip/diarrhea be from the abx? Are you giving enough probiotics to combat the abx?

Stephanie

Just a reminder about the recall on all of the liquid kids tylenol and motrin - if they're on the chewables I don't think it's affected. I'd call the pediatrician, ours takes calls through his service in the evenings - but that's just me, and I tend to be a bit crazy when it comes to my kids catching ANYTHING since PANDAS came into our lives.

My little guy had a fever while on azith - had been on for about 6 wks at that point - and the dr recommended just what everyone has said - tylenol and/or motrin for the fever, lots of rest and lots of fluids. Since he was on continuous abx (still is), he said if it's bacterial that should take care of it, but it's most likely viral and will just need TLC and time. Surprisingly, we expected a major setback but didn't really get one - although, he was still just coming down from the height of his last exacerbation sp things were still a tad bit crazy.

Hope he feels better soon!

I just have to ask...how are your son's PANDAS symptoms while he has a fever? My daughter seldom got a fever, but when she did...it was like a vacation from PANDAS!

I do hope you son gets feeling better gut bugs are not nice!

Thanks all--

To answer your question, yes, when he has a fever he is quiet and calm, that is usually how we know something is up!

Called the pedi last night, and he gave the same advice you all did. Brought him in this morning and they think it's viral. Super! Strep and the stomach flu!!! Thanks for all your help last night!

I just have to ask...how are your son's PANDAS symptoms while he has a fever? My daughter seldom got a fever, but when she did...it was like a vacation from PANDAS!

What is it about the fevers that is so calming? When my son is getting sick, his behaviors are really good. Andrea

Our XP:

my son is always calm on fever - i think it has more to do with the fever making him feel worn out though (general malaise) than actually calming the PANDAS symptoms.

As for fever on abx - my ds had 9 ear infections during the first year of PANDAS and was on and off abx until they put him on them for an extended period trying to specifically treat PANDAS symptoms. he had a consistent fever that I really don't think had much to do with a virus or the ear infection because ear infections weren't tied to them, he didn't always get a fever with them, and he could have a fever even without any other symptoms of illness. During that period, even in the absence of an ear infection, he would often have a low grade fever (99-100) for as much as two weeks at a time without break, then stop for a few days, then show back up and I'd take him to the doc and they'd find....nothing....

We used a combination of Tylenol/IB as described above. I think now knowing about the theory of PANDAS causing inflammation, I'd tend more toward IB for it's anti-inflammatory properties though.

it was kind of frightning because he'd have no infections of any sort or even a low grade fever and (aside from PANDAS tics/OCD, etc) be fine, then in a span of 15 minutes spike to 103. At one point, the doc tested his blood stat for liver function, blood infection, and we even looked at things like leukemia (i count my blessings with PANDAS, frankly)

it was not until we actually got the PANDAS under control and were clearly on the path to moving away from a catastrophic episode that the fevers disappeared as mysteriously as they had come.

For the record, i know some kids tend towards high/fast fever spikes; my ds previous to PANDAS was never one to spike a high fever or spike one fast. fevers prior to PANDAS were never a great concern and the PANDAS fevers were entirely out of character.

Although he's had fever a couple times since, it's also been more like pre-PANDAS so I personally tend to count it as one of his PANDAS symptoms and not a secondary, unrelated symptom.

Another possibility you should be aware of is that any child who gets symptoms like a fever or rash or flu like feeling after starting antibiotics can be experiencing a die off of Lyme spirochetes from an undiagnosed Lyme infection. It's called a Herxheimer reaction and it relates to die off of spirochetal infections like syphilis and Lyme. I'm sure you are not looking for something else to worry about but lyme is very common, especially among children with PANDAS.

Regarding fever and calm, I have heard that when a child has a fever the body's immune system is busy doing what it is supposed to do (fight an infection) rather than wreaking havoc by attacking the body (autoimmune). This is a very unscientific explanation, but that is what I heard. We have that same effect...

Stephanie