ACN Latitudes Forums

Uh-oh, ds5 had a meltdown and a sore throat today!

Well, after 2.5 really good weeks on spironolactone my son seemed to have a rough day today. He kept trying to control his friend during a playdate (OCD), his tics were really bad, he was moody and had a meltdown when his friend left and when it was time to go to bed. I got the feeling he was trying to fight it (meaning he was trying to keep it together and be "good"). While I was trying to tuck him in to bed I heard the words I dread, "mommy, I don't feel good" "oh, what hurts honey?"...."my throat"! Not to mention he was full of fear at bedtime.

Oh, and at one point I gave him ibuprofen and he snapped out of it for a few hours. I guess the writing is on the wall.

He got his usual weekly 250mg of azith tonight (he was due for it tomorrow, but I figured I better get on top of it). I guess I should give him a couple more doses this weekend until I can call his doctor on Monday???

Ugh! If that's not enough my 2 yo just went off his abx for impetigo a couple days ago and I'm waiting for the other shoe to drop with him (he also has pandas and seems to react with this impetigo). This was our 4th abx for impetigo and it comes back, along with pandas, each time he stops the abx. He is back to his prophylactic abx and I am watching him closely for pandas symptoms. So far so good and it has been 36 hours. Last time pandas came back after 12 hours off abx! This time he is on spironolactone so maybe that is helping...

Is it possible that my 5 yo is just reacting to my 2 yo? Should I just wait and see or just up the abx? We have a gut bacteria problem that will probably be exacerbated by upping th abx.

I would love to go a few weeks without having to make one medical decision. Is that too much to ask? All these decisions are hurting my brain!!

Stephanie

Hi Stephanie,

I am so sorry to hear that! It definitely looks like you have strep back in the house, I would not wait for the other shoe to drop!

Have you tried any other antibiotics besides Zithromax? Are your kids tonsils out?

It's so discouraging when you think they are getting better, and all the sudden you are back at square 1. Hang in there!

Well, after 2.5 really good weeks on spironolactone my son seemed to have a rough day today. He kept trying to control his friend during a playdate (OCD), his tics were really bad, he was moody and had a meltdown when his friend left and when it was time to go to bed. I got the feeling he was trying to fight it (meaning he was trying to keep it together and be "good"). While I was trying to tuck him in to bed I heard the words I dread, "mommy, I don't feel good" "oh, what hurts honey?"...."my throat"! Not to mention he was full of fear at bedtime.

Oh, and at one point I gave him ibuprofen and he snapped out of it for a few hours. I guess the writing is on the wall.

He got his usual weekly 250mg of azith tonight (he was due for it tomorrow, but I figured I better get on top of it). I guess I should give him a couple more doses this weekend until I can call his doctor on Monday???

Ugh! If that's not enough my 2 yo just went off his abx for impetigo a couple days ago and I'm waiting for the other shoe to drop with him (he also has pandas and seems to react with this impetigo). This was our 4th abx for impetigo and it comes back, along with pandas, each time he stops the abx. He is back to his prophylactic abx and I am watching him closely for pandas symptoms. So far so good and it has been 36 hours. Last time pandas came back after 12 hours off abx! This time he is on spironolactone so maybe that is helping...

Is it possible that my 5 yo is just reacting to my 2 yo? Should I just wait and see or just up the abx? We have a gut bacteria problem that will probably be exacerbated by upping th abx.

I would love to go a few weeks without having to make one medical decision. Is that too much to ask? All these decisions are hurting my brain!!

Stephanie

Oh no! This must be so hard, especially when you can see one coming on and it is so hard to stop it. Hopefully he is jut reacting and not getting sick himself which I am sure would be much worse of an exacerbation.

Good luck and keep us posted.

Stephanie,

did you feel the tics were helped by the spiro as well? or they were still kind of there? if they were gone withthe sprio, is this the first time? I mean, does he ever follow that pattern before, like tics go for a bit and then come back? wht tics ramped up now? ..

just trying see how this works for you vs. the sprio. (things aren't that great for us here in the way of tics either, but I'm another story, lol.. :) )

thanks

Faith

Edited by faith

He has a fever today (very slight - 99 degrees taken on forehead) and felt like he was going to vomit for a while. He only ever vomits with/before strep! So, that was enough for me I'm going to give him 5 days of 250 mg zithromax. His pandas symptoms are much better today but his tics are still increased (strange tongue movements - this is a new one. some vocals, like a spitting sound that we have had before).

I think I caught this VERY early (even before he said his throat hurt) so maybe we will ride this one out ok. If this is indeed strep, then I believe that the spiro helped us a little (but hard to say b/c I don't think I have ever increased abx this fast before).

Stephanie

Stephanie

Faith, yes I feel the tics were reduced by spiro, especially the vocals. No this is not the first time the tics have reduced, they seem to come and go, but are always there in exacerbation. The tics that ramped up this time are a constant strange tongue movement that we haven't seen before and a spitting sound (like a loud annoying raspberry).

There is another woman on the forum who is seeing reduced tics with spiro (vocals and motor) but she is not going to post about it until a couple weeks goes by just to be sure. She might be a better indicator for you b/c we have much more than tics going on, and quite honestly nothing has ever been able to erase our tics (Ibuprofen, steroids, spiro, IVIG) but everything else does go away (OCD, meltdowns, depression, irritability). But like I said, there was a definitely decrease in tics.

Stephanie

Stephanie,

did you feel the tics were helped by the spiro as well? or they were still kind of there? if they were gone withthe sprio, is this the first time? I mean, does he ever follow that pattern before, like tics go for a bit and then come back? wht tics ramped up now? ..

just trying see how this works for you vs. the sprio. (things aren't that great for us here in the way of tics either, but I'm another story, lol.. :( )

thanks

Faith